Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cancelled Games At BP During Play.

leigh white

8 minutes ago, leigh white said:

The one v Everton when a blizzard made it a whiteout at 1-1 on New Years Day 79, 

God I remember that one - very dodgy walk down the iced-up slope from the Paddock to get out. With 30k+ on and those conditions, if someone had taken a tumble I dread to think of the consequences 

12 minutes ago, leigh white said:

The one v Everton when a blizzard made it a whiteout at 1-1 on New Years Day 79, and another washout v Wigan Ath and the game got unplayable.

That game would never have started nowadays. The pitch was covered in a layer of snow, except for the line markings where it had been cleared.

Is that the game that Reidy broke his leg?

1 minute ago, jeep said:

That game would never have started nowadays. The pitch was covered in a layer of snow, except for the line markings where it had been cleared.

Is that the game that Reidy broke his leg?

Yeah, George Wood broke his leg.

5 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

God I remember that one - very dodgy walk down the iced-up slope from the Paddock to get out. With 30k+ on and those conditions, if someone had taken a tumble I dread to think of the consequences 

Fun and games outside with the scouse cunts with snowballs being lobbed at them in cars leaving the ground, pity it wasn't hand grenades.

9 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Took the wife to that one as a treat

Took he ages to get in Burned Paddock as she was paying cash and I was straight in as a ST - when she got in she was like a bloody snowman - only been in about ten mins before they called it off and then went arse over tit on the way out - happy days

On 22/05/2020 at 09:32, radcliffewhite1 said:

Not during the game 

but I’m pretty sure it was Luton 93/94 ish 

Think it was fog it was a late decision 

Aye we’d already made the journey.

we were halfway to the Swindon semi and that was called off too. 

Only match I’ve seen called off during is that PNE friendly at the reebok 

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye we’d already made the journey.

we were halfway to the Swindon semi and that was called off too. 

Only match I’ve seen called off during is that PNE friendly at the reebok 

Cheers thought I was making it up

swindon semi called off?

vale away was another got parked up folk walking back saying it’s been postponed think it was snow or ice  

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Cheers thought I was making it up

swindon semi called off?

Aye, the mid week home leg at our place, think it was rain or fog, dunno, but i was annoyed as i was already in the general Havelock when i found out

Though to be fair there was a coach load of Swindon already in there too who decided to stay and get pissed for a few hours instead

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, the mid week home leg at our place, think it was rain or fog, dunno, but i was annoyed as i was already in the general Havelock when i found out

Though to be fair there was a coach load of Swindon already in there too who decided to stay and get pissed for a few hours instead

They got more than a drink in the Trotters 🙄

33 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yes went on piss all afternoon 

lost the rearranged game 

Can’t remember the score but pud (rip) and my pal got chucked out for having a fight in the pie queue :D 

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

I went to Preston on a Saturday around 81/82 and it was called off because of the rain.

Still loads of trouble in the centre.

It was played on the following Wednesday iirc.

March 81, a year or 2 before I started doing aways, so this passed me by.  But looking at the fixtures/results, you're right that it was to be played on a Sat in late Feb and was rearranged for the following Wednesday.  Only 8,500 on, no doubt our following was hugely reduced.  No chance of games being rearranged so hastily these days.  We won 2-1 (Reid and Gowling) and PNE went down a couple of months later.

On 21/05/2020 at 22:09, marple whites said:

That Wigan game got to half time if I remember.  Think we played against the wind as well, so was really annoyed they called it off.

I dont think I've ever missed a Wigan home game, and not many away.  I dont remember that at all.  Any more detail, season/score etc?