Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Future classic cars?

Blondi

Hi, got a few bob to spend on a motor, I have a place to store it, I love the 1980's cars, but Ford cars such as the RS turbo, XR2 have gone through the roof, Renault 5 Turbos are silly priced too.

So, if you had about 15K to spend on a future classic, what car would you buy? I've been looking at some Mitsubishi Evo's btw.

• Members

FWIW I’d go RS over an Evo, cost of parts for mine was cheap as chips and incredibly easy to source. 
Only thing I’ve ever needed fixing on it was track rod end and the horn. 

Just now, Blondi said:

That’s what I’m saying pal. The classics now you’ve missed the boat. I think what you’re asking is what will become a classic and thus a good investment? 

I would love a lancia absolute Class machines they are 

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

65k???? Jesus Christ. I remember looking at one 20 years ago and it was a few grand   Wow

Yeah, just crazy money mate, I used to love the old Renault 5 Gordini turbos, just look at this Renault 5. I could buy a terrace house in Leigh for that, nowt wrong with Leigh btw, I was born there!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807168486007?radius=1501&postcode=wa34lq&advertising-location=at_cars&model=5&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Ne

Edited by Blondi

• Site Supporter

Maybe get a classic you can take out and have some fun in rather than keep it under wraps.  You can sell on when you’ve had your fun and maybe break even or even make a few quid but at least youve had some fun. Obvious way to do this somthig like a cayman or boxster. You can pick up good example of one  those up for 15 k that has been looked after. Its less risk than relying on an unpredictable market for one you onLy buy as an investment.. If you Really want to store a classic then Lancia delta or renault motorsport clio or megane cupra. 
Esco said Alfa. my son has an alfa gtv JTS 2005 which he bought  3 years ago and he’s looking to sell later in the year. He’s spent so much on it in those last 3 years that it’s practically new,  
I’d always fancied a classic and last year had the chance financially to delve in the market but  based on my son’s experience rather than spending thousands on keeping a classic on the road decided to frontload  for a new car but future classic I hope. .I spunked a lot of cash but hope to have some fun, exclusivity and resale value. Cheap to run and insure. 
Follow your dreams. 

What was the old Renault 5 with the rear engine?, rare as f**k. I once fitted a windscreen in a gold one, the bloke who owned it was a tornado piolet at RAF. The back end was way wider than the front and the wheels had split rims.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

What was the old Renault 5 with the rear engine?, rare as f**k. I once fitted a windscreen in a gold one, the bloke who owned it was a tornado piolet at RAF. The back end was way wider than the front and the wheels had split rims.

The Turbo 2 was the rear engine rally one

The Turbo 1 I think was mid engine don’t quote me on that though 

46 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

My neighbour has got a 98 Toyota Supra, you can get one of them for about £10k and they are absolutely rapid 

Beasts. I used to work for a Toyota dealer when I left school and they were immense cars 

• Members
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Beasts. I used to work for a Toyota dealer when I left school and they were immense cars 

weren’t they about 300bhp as standard?

I think I could have any car I’d have the 89 e30 BMW M3