Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Popular Ends At BP.

leigh white

3 hours ago, Happy Wanderer said:

During late 80's until 1996 sat in Manchester Road South (front row) and fully enjoyed the banter with the lads in the terrace.

"Give us a smile Ewan!"

I finished my Burnden years in the terrace there after working my way round the ground.  The only place I can't ever remember going into, was the Wing Stand.  Always fancied trying the TV gantry too.  It must have been nerve wracking walking to that on a wet and windy day. 

On 01/06/2020 at 11:30, Burndens Bogs said:

Ha, it just felt like a natural “progression” at the time moving from stand to stand depending on your age & who you were going to the match with at the time.

I remember thinking we had  gone “ big time” when the Lever end got seated- in truth it ruined the place.

As we now know, no ground was ever improved by seats. So many examples up and down the leagues.  Gigg Lane seated - a mystery to me that stopped me going to the odd game like I did in the 80s.

This thread is making me really miss Burnden, but we should also appreciate what we've got now.  1st games 76-77 was standing in a "safe" spot on corner of Burnden Paddock where it meets Lever End, I think we must have paid to go in Lever End as I remember walking behind the goal, I was mesmerised by the site of the Fulham keeper Mellor kicking the pure white ball into the air and it reflecting under the fantastic floodlights.  I can smell it now, absolutely smitten from day 1.  Then Embankment, loved it there because of the view of the Paddock in the sunshine with Here We Go Again playing pre-match.  As an adult, it was Burnden Paddock from 80s onwards except for 83-84, half a season singing in the Lever End.  Spent some enjoyable cup ties on Manny Road, some great characters and felt closer to the action but just not the same view or atmosphere.  What memories.

I've mentioned this before, but my old man saw some shit in his time and really didnt want to take me to a game. A mates dad did without asking, and stole that bond which many of us take for granted. My dad was born and bred in Ordsall/Weaste, red through and through with family playing for them.

My first ever match was in Burnden Stand, v NTFC as a 7 year old. I next came back in the Paddock, v Preston and was converted for life

Ticket was £4.40.

I sold my soul for less than a pint

But what a roller coaster it has been... Unlike my user name (I dont have PhD), I accept my destiny

I stayed there until I kicked the shit out of turnstile on that Friday in 97, barring a few times

Embankment v Gretna (for a short while)

Manny Road v Hagi's lot

Lever End v Luton in the cup

Manny Road Stand v Notts County on NYD (eventually with my dad)  

Two things I'd love to embrace again...

The Paddock

My Dad

Over 99% of all matches I went to were Burnden Stand (up to age 10) and then Burnden Paddock. I can name every match I watched from the non-Burnden side

York (71) - Manny Road Stand - 1st ever game

Everton LC Semi - Manny Road Stand

Chelsea taking the Lever End - Wing Stand

Southend (?) around Boxing Day poss 96 and we scored 3 - Lever End

Stoke 1-0 Julian Darby - Manny Road Stand - my Dads last ever game

Fuck me in all those 25 years I went to BP I’ve just realised that’s only 5 games not on the Burnden side and I never did Embankment or Manny Rd terrace 

• Site Supporter
On 31/05/2020 at 21:05, athywhite1958 said:

I started in the Lever End in 1968/69, progressed to the Embankment around 1973 for about 8 years, Burnden Terrace for a few years, back to the Lever End when the seats were put in because I had a young daughter by then, when she was about 12 we moved to the Manny Road North until we left there, some bloody happy and memorable times

Pretty much my journey but six or so years later.  Started off in lever end in 74 then embankment, Burnden terrace and eventually, due to girlfriend not being able to see over people's heads in burnden terrace, wer started going in manny road north.  We'd often be in as soon as the gates opened so she could get her place on the closest barrier to the dugout... and then they put the bench on the pitch.  This caused many a funny moment but they were bloody shit to stand behind

Embankment , is where it all started . Stayed mostly with it till they built Normid.

Yes some games i went in the Lever End , great matches , great atmosphere . Never went in after the seats arrived.

In the bad times visited Manny Road , lever end side.

Then moved across to the Burnden Terrace.

That last night with dust in my eyes was spent back on what was in its heyday the greatest end  in English football with no roof on it. 

The Embankment , The Scoreboard , The River Caves open to the heavens bogs.

The bovril , the waft of 5000 No6 ciggys.

The free turnstile for the first ever Sunday match.

Big Sams Header.

Worthys Goal.

Roy Greaves winner.

Super Johns fight.

The right of passage to be accepted under the scoreboard. The knowing nod from Fred.

It was in its time at the right times the greatest place to watch BWFC.

But it could be a miserable place when the football was crap . 5400 on and it was pissing down.

And   22 years later on i still miss it.

Edited by embankment

Manny Road terrace for first couple of seasons (early 90's) stood near the corner flag and was always a little kid (about 4) who just ran up and down kicking the empty cups of Bovril for the entire 90 minutes.

Then moved to the Burnden Stand for the rest of the time, went in Lever End twice and we won both times once was against Stockport (McGinlay and Walker scored).  

Lever End with Dad whilst I was still a nipper, then Moved my way down the paddock from the Lever end corner to the away end as I got Older.

Spent the last 10 years or so of Burnden pretty much leaning against the same barrier.

EL, halfway line at the Bok, had the same seats since it opened.

Don't like change.