Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best/worst away days in L2

Biggish Dave

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

I can only speak for myself but games that "excite" on paper have a habit of being a different proposition when they come round!  I quite fancy Carlisle and Grimsby away for eg but you just know they'll be on a Tuesday night in winter following a 1-0 home defeat to Stevenage.  Games that don't appeal much take on a new meaning if we're on a 5 match winning run and its a 'promotion 6 pointer'.

Obviously can only comment before the fixtures come out and like you say few are bound to be midweek which will dampen it slightly 

Not to put a downer on this thread, but a concern of mine is will away fans be allowed in these small grounds in the foreseeable future?  If crowds are limited to  maybe a third of capacity, every club is going to have to get as many home fans in as possible, Div 2 clubs will be limited to about 2,000.  And as away fans tend to be more "unruly" than home fans, its the obvious section to be banned if we're looking to social distance.  I'll be more than happy to get back to home games sometime next season, with 8,000 of us spread around 8 tiers.  Aways feel like they are for when normal life has returned.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not to put a downer on this thread, but a concern of mine is will away fans be allowed in these small grounds in the foreseeable future?  If crowds are limited to  maybe a third of capacity, every club is going to have to get as many home fans in as possible, Div 2 clubs will be limited to about 2,000.  And as away fans tend to be more "unruly" than home fans, its the obvious section to be banned if we're looking to social distance.  I'll be more than happy to get back to home games sometime next season, with 8,000 of us spread around 8 tiers.  Aways feel like they are for when normal life has returned.

Good point 

I can see reduced capacities for the remainder of this year especially with it being Touted as a September start, fortunately for us running at 25-30 % won’t make any difference to what we would get 

It will be worthy of another thread nearer the time but if we do have to socially distance inside the stadium (and that's a far better alternative to not being able to go at all), most S/T holders are going to have to move seats and many will have to move stands.  That's going to be a nightmare to implement and will undoubtedly cost us some fans who will get the hump.  The likes of Accrington and Macclesfield wont even be able to open terraces I would guess.

28 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It will be worthy of another thread nearer the time but if we do have to socially distance inside the stadium (and that's a far better alternative to not being able to go at all), most S/T holders are going to have to move seats and many will have to move stands.  That's going to be a nightmare to implement and will undoubtedly cost us some fans who will get the hump.  The likes of Accrington and Macclesfield wont even be able to open terraces I would guess.

That’s a really good point that hadn’t occurred to me. For us it would be easy enough with every other seat empty and every other row used but it will piss a lot of people off who will be forced to move

There will be fans with block booked S/Ts of maybe 6 people, of which 3 live in the same house and so can remain seated together.  The other 3 might be from 2 houses, so 1 person has to sit on their own!  Good luck project managing that, imagine it at clubs who currently get full houses most weeks.

11 hours ago, burnden said:

Lots of small grounds , might be a good idea to get an away ST 

Do we actually do these? I've heard talk of em but never seen them advertised.  Not like they'd be needed much but it would be a nice way to put a bit more money into the club.  How much are they usually?

Crawley is a dump, the ground is a hike from the town and there are no decent pubs really unless you drive out of town. The ground itself isn’t bad though. I’d stay in London or Brighton, get the train to three bridges and then a taxi to the ground and back.

Cambridge is great in the daytime - loads of the best places to drink are on Mill Rd which is a quick walk from the station. It’s just strange at night, place seems to empty at about 5-ish. 

Barrow is a very pleasant train journey north of Lancaster, Morecambe Bay on one side and the mountains on the other.There is a good half hour of nice views.And there's a statue of Emlyn Hughes near the station.Struggling to think of other attractions, theres a huge Morrisons next to the docks which are more Hartlepool than Albert Docks.

14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I saw something along these lines being discussed the other day, that say for example grounds have to run at say 70% capacity for a while then its feasible but not without all the difficulties you mention above at a modern stadium like ours but how that translates to a Fleetwood or a Macclesfield for example who knows.

Then after that, itd be hard enough to keep home fans apart when a goal goes in etc but away fans even more so.

Beginning to think it's all academic anyway, way things are going social distancing will be a distant memory come September.

Edited by Marc505

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Barrow is a very pleasant train journey north of Lancaster, Morecambe Bay on one side and the mountains on the other.There is a good half hour of nice views.And there's a statue of Emlyn Hughes near the station.Struggling to think of other attractions, theres a huge Morrisons next to the docks which are more Hartlepool than Albert Docks.

Ulverston is a great little town for a pub crawl on the way.

Couple of stops before Barrow.