Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Bad Day At Hartlepool.

leigh white

Decided to clock a new ground up in Oct 76, Bolton were playing away at Cardiff and four of us set off on the train for a good piss up in the NE. What a fucking mistake, it was like going back in time when we reached that backwater. First pub we went in was full of skinheads playing pool on a table with no cloth, we had a pint and moved on. We passed two blokes hitting walls with bare fists and challenged us to a fight, but they said we will show you a good pub near the ground if you buy us a pint. Walked into hell, one dickhead smashed a bottle on our table and threatened us for being Cockney Bastards, they were playing Cambridge. We supped up and went in the Stands. All the home end was baying for our blood and the stewards said you best fuck off at H/T for your own safety. What a fucking shitshow.

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

Worked in Hartlepool and Darlington.

Hartlepool people are alright, Darlo people are the some of the most awkward I've met in England.

Yeah I agree. Done a lot of work up there. They are all smoggies but Hartlepool benefits from the sea air. Decent folk. Darlos are a bit odd 

• Members

When we played Hartlepool Steelers at American Football our game plan to upset the fuckers was by shouting out 'monkey hanging bastards' at every scirmmage. Worked an asbolute treat it did. The fuckers were foaming at the mouth and the last thing they were interested in was their playbook. They just wanted to get at us which played right into our hands and we gave them a beating.

Down here we have a lad in the scooter club called Mick from Darlington. We call him Monkey Hangar Mick. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't like it :D

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, marple whites said:

Only been once, went on my own from Sheffield where I was at uni.

won 2-0 and it was an early kick off.

snow on the ground when I left and snowed all the way home.

the daft things we did

West Hartlepool v Wasps took priority for policing which is why we were moved. Bloody freezing day.

I went up for the 4-0 midweek win too, the game where Michael Brown played well for us

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

West Hartlepool v Wasps took priority for policing which is why we were moved. Bloody freezing day.

I went up for the 4-0 midweek win too, the game where Michael Brown played well for us

Totally agree probably the coldest match I have ever been to.

23 hours ago, marple whites said:

Only been once, went on my own from Sheffield where I was at uni.

won 2-0 and it was an early kick off.

snow on the ground when I left and snowed all the way home.

the daft things we did

Yes same here promotion season?

green scored one of them 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, snowball said:

went once. Boxing Day. Freezing. Portacabins. Bison's furburger nearly blowing off. match utter shit. 

Was that a rothwell coach

All a bit hazy these days

Went midweek for League Cup tie in 98/99 on a glorious summer evening. Won 3-0 with a Nathan Blake hat trick. Ricardo Gardner had just signed and was a sub. I remember the excellent sausage rolls in the ground, 50p for a big one. Had 2 for me tea.

Don't think it was a 3-0 win though, AND I'm seem to remember Aarnar Gunnelagarsson being on fire that night, it was over 2 legs as well.

Sure first game away was a draw and they took lead at Reebok, we eventually won something like 5-2 though.

We were fresh out the prem that season and still had some good players.