Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Changing your Dogs Food.

Danny G

Not been on here for a while lads so greetings.

Is there a way of gentlly altering your Dogs diet without it resulting in it dropping farts worse than a Napalm Bomb?

Percy Pug has not been well so we tried switching his food again, to a more 'Wet' diet. Fuck me the smell is horrific even compared to the ones i am doing after last nights 'Mystery Meat Kebab'

TIA

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Danny G said:

Not been on here for a while lads so greetings.

Is there a way of gentlly altering your Dogs diet without it resulting in it dropping farts worse than a Napalm Bomb?

Percy Pug has not been well so we tried switching his food again, to a more 'Wet' diet. Fuck me the smell is horrific even compared to the ones i am doing after last nights 'Mystery Meat Kebab'

TIA

Welcome back

I'm sure TMGJ will see this and might suggest an alternative to help you

Love pugs...fawn or black?

Parents had em from before I was born til when my dad died a few years back

• Site Supporter

you need to switch them over the space of a week, by slowly introducing the new food and taking some out of the old food..

Ted the Cockerpoo puppy we have is on day 6/7 so has mostly adult food, we have about 1kg of puppy food left in case. First day was a sprinkling of the adult food. 

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Make your own; ground beef, carrots, peas and spinach with a fair bit cooked brown rice. Oh and bone marrow if you can get it.

Other than that sausage!

Tempted to give him to the Kebab shop at the moment.

ill probably end up with him back wrapped  in a naan though. 

• Members
6 hours ago, kent_white said:

Another vote for tails.com from me. 

My dogs shit is an absolute pleasure to pick up nowadays. Firm, warm and with a little bit of give. Like a ripe avocado.

Think you need to get out more KW

10 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Wet food always stinks..

OUrs are on pets at home "step up to naturals", nothing nasty and they seem to do ok with it

8 hours ago, kent_white said:

My dogs shit is an absolute pleasure to pick up nowadays. Firm, warm and with a little bit of give. Like a ripe avocado.

We use both the Pets at Home & Tails stuff

10 hours ago, kent_white said:

Ha ha nowt better than picking up a firm turd that leaves zero residue 

Has he had his anal gland squeezed? Sounds horrific and is but that is another reason Pugs farts fucking stink.

I suggest the vets having a go rather than yourself...

Doesn't matter what we feed ours his farts are horrendous anyway. And he's got attachment issues. Wont be getting another once he's gone.

We changed our dog's food from Arden Grange which is a decent brand, unlike Bakers or Harrington's to Tails.com, we've never looked back, our dog is so fussy at eating and he always eats his Tails food now. Always look at the meat content in dog food, the higher the better!

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Make your own; ground beef, carrots, peas and spinach with a fair bit cooked brown rice. Oh and bone marrow if you can get it.

Other than that sausage!

This.

We make our own too.

Clearday raw pet foods, Widnes.

They supply lots of meats and fish for the raw food feeders. Can go down this route, but we cook it up with veg, and rice/pasta/oats.

The meats (most of them) have a bone component in them which is necessary as well as offal.

Use quite a bit of sweet potato too as it's very good for them.

Also get pet mince from the butcher's which is ground chicken carcass, it's even cheaper and we mix it with other meats.

The turds are usually firm, there's a smaller amount and there is no unnecessary feedstuffs to stick components together, and the odour is reduced.

It might seem like a bit of hassle, but it actually works out cheaper than buying even dry foods. I sell the pet foods too, but after research, wouldn't buy them. Can buy similar to what I've described but it costs the earth.

Each day or two we make a big pan full, put it into containers in the fridge, and they demolish it.

Neighbour's dog sometimes has it too (if I've made a bit too much) and she loves it.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you some tips about ratios etc.

Really is worth a bit of effort.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Blondi said:

We changed our dog's food from Arden Grange which is a decent brand, unlike Bakers or Harrington's to Tails.com, we've never looked back, our dog is so fussy at eating and he always eats his Tails food now. Always look at the meat content in dog food, the higher the better!

The quality of the meat component is important- and dogs are omnivores so need other foodstuffs in there.