Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2020/21

Horwich

3 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh i agree, Harrogates a great place for a few beers but the locals would hate us turning up in numbers as the town is usually packed with tourists every weekend anyway.

But so is Chester, York etc etc.

Wonder if there's a salad bar at Aunt Bettys?

Theres a pub that does Yorkshire tapas, thatd be top of my list!

Borehamwood have got no business being in the football league. Went to watch solihull there when our game at southend was frozen off the other year. Not recommended other than novelty ground factor or ticking another shitty outer london grim spoons off.

I agree with that.  Down the pyramid your ground has to comply to regulations before you can be promoted.  In the top 2 divisions you have to have all seater stadiums.  If you want to be promoted to the EFL surely you have to have a minimum standard of league? I love small none league grounds like Atherton and Radcliffe, but if you're bringing nothing to the league you're aspiring to you shouldnt be allowed in (and Bournemouth shouldnt be in Prem for what its worth, they'll probably stay there for 20 years thanks to Sky).  Restricting the ability of fans to follow their club in the league they are in shouldnt be allowed, where do you draw the line?  Daisy Hill in the Prem with a capacity of 1,500 because Sheikh Thingy buys them?

46 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I agree with that.  Down the pyramid your ground has to comply to regulations before you can be promoted.  In the top 2 divisions you have to have all seater stadiums.  If you want to be promoted to the EFL surely you have to have a minimum standard of league? I love small none league grounds like Atherton and Radcliffe, but if you're bringing nothing to the league you're aspiring to you shouldnt be allowed in (and Bournemouth shouldnt be in Prem for what its worth, they'll probably stay there for 20 years thanks to Sky).  Restricting the ability of fans to follow their club in the league they are in shouldnt be allowed, where do you draw the line?  Daisy Hill in the Prem with a capacity of 1,500 because Sheikh Thingy buys them?

There already is a minimum capacity requirement as below. Away clubs are entitled to 10% of the capacity so even 750 at Harrogate is way more than they’re actually obliged to offer.

“The Football League requires that the ground occupied by a club promoted to League 2 must have a certified capacity of at least 4,000 (with the ability to be increased to 5,000) which shall include at least 500 seats (with the ability to be increased to 1,000).”

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

There already is a minimum capacity requirement as below. Away clubs are entitled to 10% of the capacity so even 750 at Harrogate is way more than they’re actually obliged to offer.

“The Football League requires that the ground occupied by a club promoted to League 2 must have a certified capacity of at least 4,000 (with the ability to be increased to 5,000) which shall include at least 500 seats (with the ability to be increased to 1,000).”

I remember when Holker Old Boys were due to play a fixture against FCUM, Rakesmoor Lane had never had a crowd that season above 50, it got changed to Craven Park and 2203 attended.

15 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Good info, I wasnt aware of that.  Fair enough I think 5,000 is a reasonable minimum (4k less so), I personally think you should also have to make provision for upto 1,000 away fans .  But I accept its a chicken and egg situation for non league clubs, do you develop the ground on the off chance you can get in the league, or do you spend on the team first.  You'd think the Championship would be min10k, surely the Prem should be 15k?   Allowing matches at Bournemouth definitely reduces the spectacle that's broadcast around the world, it never feels like a real Prem game when they are at home.

• Site Supporter

As good a place as any to post - if Remi seeks pastures new, Mark Howard has been released by Blackpool. Could do much worse than get him back for a couple of years while waiting for Alexander to improve some more. Steady pro

38 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Macc failed to get into the league the first time they won the Conference because the ground was not then up to the required standard.

...even though it had already been hosting Chester City’s Football League fixtures.

Think both Kidderminster and Stevenage suffered a similar fate? That was before the Conference was flooded with ex-league clubs though. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

As good a place as any to post - if Remi seeks pastures new, Mark Howard has been released by Blackpool. Could do much worse than get him back for a couple of years while waiting for Alexander to improve some more. Steady pro

Howard was way behind alnwick imo

Not what we need

I'm repeating a previous goalkeepers discussion, but I cant think of a keeper that doesnt have a mistake in them.  The worst offenders seem to get clubs in the top half of the Prem and loads of international caps.  And those that we come up against week in week out always look worse all round goalies than Matthews to me.  He'll have as many seasons in the Championship as Div 1 in the next 6 or 7 years and we'll have a worse keeper and character for at least the next couple of years.  Good luck to him he was good for us.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm repeating a previous goalkeepers discussion, but I cant think of a keeper that doesnt have a mistake in them.  The worst offenders seem to get clubs in the top half of the Prem and loads of international caps.  And those that we come up against week in week out always look worse all round goalies than Matthews to me.  He'll have as many seasons in the Championship as Div 1 in the next 6 or 7 years and we'll have a worse keeper and character for at least the next couple of years.  Good luck to him he was good for us.

I wouldn;t say he was particularly good for us. I can't remember many games that he won, when I can think of a few that Jussi and Branagan did, but given where we are and where we are going he is probably about as good as we are going to get. I wouldn't be upset if he left but I'd be quite happy if he stayed on. If that makes sense. I'm not sure it does.

26 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

I wouldn;t say he was particularly good for us. I can't remember many games that he won, when I can think of a few that Jussi and Branagan did, but given where we are and where we are going he is probably about as good as we are going to get. I wouldn't be upset if he left but I'd be quite happy if he stayed on. If that makes sense. I'm not sure it does.

Unfair to compare him to two amazing keepers.

Although some of Matthews’ brain farts were perplexing to say the least, he did remarkably well in quite a few games last season when he would have had much more to do than any goalkeeper would reasonably expect. I would like to think he’d be a stand out player in League Two, but likewise I wouldn’t blame him for wanting a fresh start after the stress of the last two seasons. 

44 minutes ago, tomski said:

Unfair to compare him to two amazing keepers.

Mentioning Jussi as a top player illustrates my point.  Great saves, poor command of his area, terrible kicking, flapped at crosses, made basic errors (that one at Stockport on the Youtube thread recently wasnt unusual).  I'm not disputing he was a top keeper for us and made saves Matthews couldnt have reached, but very few keepers dont have faults.  Branagan was my favourite FWIW, most reliable keeper I've seen.

47 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Matthews, Lowe & Crawford are the 3 senior pros who i hoped we'd keep.  It's a shame that 2 of them are already looking like leaving but not surprising i suppose.

I dont consider them as Bolton players.  They are just 3 players out of contract, like about 200 others or whatever.  They are no more likely to sign a contract for Bolton as for any other team in the bottom 2 divisions, and there are probably a dozen better options for them in Div 1.  When you sack a manager you lose all those contacts, they are just ex-players.