Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2020/21

Horwich

From a BBC article

The expectation is the Premier League will resume in September and the Championship on either 12 September or 29 August.

What is not known is whether the appetite among clubs in League One, League Two and the National League will be to start their seasons in front of either no spectators or limited capacity, given match-going fans provide the bulk of their income.

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

From a BBC article

The expectation is the Premier League will resume in September and the Championship on either 12 September or 29 August.

What is not known is whether the appetite among clubs in League One, League Two and the National League will be to start their seasons in front of either no spectators or limited capacity, given match-going fans provide the bulk of their income.

Never thought I’d see the day where I’m glad we aren’t in the top two divisions or we’d be in the same boat as the crust munchers. 

23 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Can will be kicked far enough down the road that we’ll be playing in front of fans in some form by the start. 

Pretty much every Scottish club have had their season tickets on sale for months and have been pretty up front about having streaming options etc if fans aren’t allowed in. Weird that it doesn’t seem to have caught on down here. 

The streaming ideas is the only way out of this if we can't go in to the stadiums. It is weird that it's not being considered. Especially given most English clubs would have fans tuning in from all parts of the world. 

That's a good shout for a way to pay players' salaries.  I wonder if Sky can screen more lower division games than they would normally, as the KO times can be as wierd as they want them to be, presumably.  So no need to clash with Prem or Championship games.  I really want us to be playing at traditional 3pm/7.45 times but if income can be generated by playing at 5pm on a Thursday so be it.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, tomski said:

I’m convinced by the time it kicks off Season ticket holders will be allowed in. May be spread out and what not but in deffo

I've said the same. No away fans but if you want to get in the ground, you'll need a season ticket. None of this pay by the match initially. Can't see there being more than 8,000 tops who buy a season ticket this season

• Site Supporter

At least that way, common sense may be allowed to take place (or not). WSL S/T holders should have no issues social distancing. ESL crazy corner probably don’t give two hoots. 

The pubs beforehand may be a challenge. Both the ones opposite the arena are able to satisfy the one way in/one way out rule. Perhaps if the don’t allow car parking then the whole car park used as a large standing only beer garden, again, common sense kicks in and you can social distance yourself.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

At least that way, common sense may be allowed to take place (or not). WSL S/T holders should have no issues social distancing. ESL crazy corner probably don’t give two hoots. 

The pubs beforehand may be a challenge. Both the ones opposite the arena are able to satisfy the one way in/one way out rule. Perhaps if the don’t allow car parking then the whole car park used as a large standing only beer garden, again, common sense kicks in and you can social distance yourself.

Common sense, beer and football not normally talked about in the same sentence

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

I've said the same. No away fans but if you want to get in the ground, you'll need a season ticket. None of this pay by the match initially. Can't see there being more than 8,000 tops who buy a season ticket this season

That will be fine to start with; it might push a few more to buy a season ticket. I also cant see away fans until the following season because all the travel on trains and buses wont be good to eliminating the virus. Looking forward to next season as long as fans can attend in some way

Still don't know how they're expected to police away fans travelling. If transport is running (not even considering private coaches/vans) and pubs are open, then people will travel for certain, and this will happen up and down the country.

Then it becomes an issue of whether police think its safer to have away fans spread about all over towns all afternoon or at least have them in one place in an away end.

Can see this becoming a real issue in coming weeks.

6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Still don't know how they're expected to police away fans travelling. If transport is running (not even considering private coaches/vans) and pubs are open, then people will travel for certain, and this will happen up and down the country.

Then it becomes an issue of whether police think its safer to have away fans spread about all over towns all afternoon or at least have them in one place in an away end.

Can see this becoming a real issue in coming weeks.

Unless there’s another spike in cases come September it shouldn’t be a problem for fans attending in some form

A lot will depend on the outcome of this weekend suppose If things go ok for the next 2/3 weeks it should be ok 

Lets not forget that this whole lockdown business was to stop the NHS from being flooded & unable to cope. Those that are vulnerable will continue to shield, my mates Mrs has just had a letter to continue her shielding into August. 

Sooner or later things will have to return to normal for everyone else, though shopping, pubs, transport etc will look different for a while yet. Wearing masks in such places will continue for quite a while yet but by Sept/Oct time hopefully I can see fans back in grounds. Will be interesting to see if any spikes in R occur in a few weeks time after the pubs & restaurants reopen Saturday, even if they do, it'll be managed locally like Leicester rather than nationwide.

4 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Unless there’s another spike in cases come September it shouldn’t be a problem for fans attending in some form

A lot will depend on the outcome of this weekend suppose If things go ok for the next 2/3 weeks it should be ok 

With pubs and shops open the "local" spikes (Leicester etc) can happen any time.  Numbers in pubs will increase we all get more used to the new regulations, and especially when the weather improves.  You can see there being random matches either postponed are behind closed doors as local spikes pop up over the next few months pre-vaccine.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Roger_Dubuis said:

I see the National League have said their play off final will be at Wembley on 2nd August, so its going to be a few more weeks before we get next seasons fixture list

They know most of the teams in each league. They can label each of the ‘unknowns’ “promoted team” and can produce the fixtures based on that...

if they wanted to.