Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I sort of agree, but there are a lot of coaches at clubs from BAME backgrounds, Viera went to the U.S. to cut his teeth, Rudd Gullit was looking good but lost it, Ince was just a prick.

It is a conundrum, if we employed N'Gotty, Djorkaeff or Muamba they would have my full support, but if they played shit football and the results were crap and there wasn't any progress being made, they would get some stick, fuck colour it doesn't matter, i just want a successful manager, even if he (no birds) is black with pink Mr Blobby spots, they will do for me.

Before all this Black Lives Matters shite I would have loved a Black manager as long as he really did know his onions. Now never

17 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Says it all...

Being arrogant and having an over inflated opinion of your own ability isnt in itself a reason not to be appointed, if you're any good.  We got into Europe with one so I've no problem on that basis.  We could do a lot worse than Campbell for me, but I'll get behind any manager, whoever it is.  Until they prove to be very annoying, as with every BW manager since Rioch.  Literally the only manager I've ever known that I didnt fall out with.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Sol Campbell applied for the Grimsby job, but withdrew his application because he felt hie shouldn't need to be interviewed.

Except he did have an interview, and they turned him down due to lack of experience....

Big Mick

Not sure we could attract what I think is a top Championship Manager to drop down to Division 4

I don’t want to be all Leeds United but would say “Mick, you have the chance to lead one of the founder members of the Football League, a patient fan base, top stadium, do you want the challenge of leading us up through the divisions pal?”

Make not mistake the BWFC Manager job is still very attractive, even if the Shrewsbury fans think differently 

Win or lose, our away followings next year will be top fuckin class. Thousands will tip up

With the right Manager, if we start off on a roll, the bandwagon will start. Make no mistake

We need someone with experience and someone who knows how to win games ugly

Big Mick all day for me, but with his record I think he will have other opportunities unfortunately. If not available, would try for Warnock. The BWFC job in division 4 isn’t for someone who is new to role. Need an old cunt, with bags of experience. And Big Mick and Warnock will speak our language and play the style of football that wins games

• Members
7 hours ago, Hutch said:

Big Mick

Not sure we could attract what I think is a top Championship Manager to drop down to Division 4

I don’t want to be all Leeds United but would say “Mick, you have the chance to lead one of the founder members of the Football League, a patient fan base, top stadium, do you want the challenge of leading us up through the divisions pal?”

Make not mistake the BWFC Manager job is still very attractive, even if the Shrewsbury fans think differently 

Win or lose, our away followings next year will be top fuckin class. Thousands will tip up

With the right Manager, if we start off on a roll, the bandwagon will start. Make no mistake

We need someone with experience and someone who knows how to win games ugly

Big Mick all day for me, but with his record I think he will have other opportunities unfortunately. If not available, would try for Warnock. The BWFC job in division 4 isn’t for someone who is new to role. Need an old cunt, with bags of experience. And Big Mick and Warnock will speak our language and play the style of football that wins games

Big Mick? Mick McCarthy?

Warnock we ain’t getting nor do I want, he needs to spend the ain’t got it to spend, oh and he’s a cunt

What am I missing with Phil Brown, I know he has been on the wane, but loads of experience and knowledge of the club from almost when we were here last time.
Not saying I do want him but never understood the reticence from most?

Same goes for Nolan too, bar the experience bit obviously, I would be OK with either.

Not really bothered hill has gone.  Like a lot have said, a free hit which very few get and he royally ballsed up.

he spouted shite from day 1 looking back and his formations, tactics and personnel were totally baffling.

all I want going forward is someone who puts 11 players out, in a structured fashion, that give it their all for the shirts and start to restore some faith and pride in all that is bwfc 

is that too much to ask???

It would be nice if we could get a young up and coming manager like Ricketts,, in part because it would suggest there's backing to go along with ambition. 

From the choice above however I voted for Nigel Clough, on the basis he's experience at managing successfully on low budgets. Not sure whether this is pragmatism or pessimism. Maybe a bit of both...

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What am I missing with Phil Brown, I know he has been on the wane, but loads of experience and knowledge of the club from almost when we were here last time.
Not saying I do want him but never understood the reticence from most?

Same goes for Nolan too, bar the experience bit obviously, I would be OK with either.

Browny. Did he have a 100% record as caretaker? 

just looked at the Sky bet odda and it mentioned Michael Beale. Had to google him to be honest. He's first team coach at Rangers and came from Liverpool so Gerrard must know him well.

Can't see us paying any compo for anyone so it would be an out of work manager, how about Paul Hurst?

2 minutes ago, Norpig said:

just looked at the Sky bet odda and it mentioned Michael Beale. Had to google him to be honest. He's first team coach at Rangers and came from Liverpool so Gerrard must know him well.

Can't see us paying any compo for anyone so it would be an out of work manager, how about Paul Hurst?

No thanks and definitely not. 

38 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

No thanks and definitely not. 

Thought Beales CV looked pretty good to be honest. Seems to have good contacts which could be key for loans (while I’ve never liked loans) I suspect that will be a key part of our rebuilding plans.

Michaelbealecoaching.com

Edited by tomski

33 minutes ago, Norpig said:

I know people are wanting Lee but we are in league 2 and need someone with experience. We go with an inexperienced manager and start badly who knows where we end up?

I look at the list of experienced managers linked with us and I think they could easily be described as failed managers.

Edited by tomski

I voted for Ricketts but noticing that Nigel Adkins has only got 1.5%, I'm thinking he's underrated.  Gets hold a club and makes them better, generally, with a poor short spell at Sheff U thrown in.  Has a plan, can set a team up.  Did a great job at Hull, kept them up first season and had them mid table 2nd season, wasn't sacked but left due to the dodgy owners/general mess.  If we're talking credentials of experienced managers that are available and realistic, surely he's no 1 on the list.  Fair enough if they just want a 'coach', but if they want a manager look no further.  

14 minutes ago, tomski said:

Thought Beales CV looked pretty good to be honest. Seems to have good contacts which could be key for loans (while I’ve never liked loans) I suspect that will be a key part of our rebuilding plans.

Michaelbealecoaching.com

You could be right but I’d prefer an experienced manager. 

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I voted for Ricketts but noticing that Nigel Adkins has only got 1.5%, I'm thinking he's underrated.  Gets hold a club and makes them better, generally, with a poor short spell at Sheff U thrown in.  Has a plan, can set a team up.  Did a great job at Hull, kept them up first season and had them mid table 2nd season, wasn't sacked but left due to the dodgy owners/general mess.  If we're talking credentials of experienced managers that are available and realistic, surely he's no 1 on the list.  Fair enough if they just want a 'coach', but if they want a manager look no further.  

I voted Adkins for your reasons,  not really a big name, not someone on who first impression we'd all yes get in but I reckon he could set us up very well.

Anyone know what will happen with Remi Matthew's when his contract expires, I know he left the Bolton area as the season was shut down & headed back to Norwich area.

Nolan - First team coach at West Ham, but out of contract at the end of the season. 42% win ratio across 99 games as a manager with two teams in League Two. Had both in and around the playoffs and both went down after he left, so he was probably working with some shite.

Ricketts - Decent spell at Wrexham and comes across well, but I'd not be getting too excited over his 23 wins from 78 at Shrewsbury. Career winning record as a manager is 35% off 102 games. Seems Bolton fans think he's a better manager than Shrewsbury fans do.

Holden - Three wins from 15 in a short spell at Oldham. Now assistant at Bristol City.

Even if none of them had ever played for us, I'm not sure what Holden or Ricketts have that would put them clear above Nolan. If anything, I think being seen as the sentimental option is being held against him. He's a good young coach. The fact that he's a club legend and would have the fans onside at a time we have little else is a bonus.

Of the established options Clough, Powell and Adkins are decent shouts. Don't think we need to be getting too cute by picking random coaches with no experience.