Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Ahem...Sam Allardyce? 

Did a cracking job with what he had and created a way of building a team that was good for us. He was the first of my heroes. Doyle, while not held in the same level as BSA was a total letdown who got a lot longer than he was entitled to because despite the results, he was a former fan’s favourite. I’m not that arsed that the bubble burst and now he’s that jock cunt who couldn’t manage a decent meal, never mind a football team.

I don’t particularly want Kevin Nolan to follow him down the same path.

50 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Owen Coyle's appointment says don't rely on club heroes  to get you out of the shit unless you want to remove them from the high esteem with which they were once held.

Equally, Big Sam says that just because someone played us, doesn't mean that they're a sentimental appointment doomed to fail.

Also, it wasn't like Coyle was just picked at random because he had a catchy chant. He'd done a fantastic at Burnley and was seen as one of the brightest up and coming managers even while managing us. 

Edited by Tombwfc

1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

Equally, Big Sam says that just because someone played us, doesn't mean that they're a sentimental appointment doomed to fail.

Also, it wasn't like Coyle was just picked at random because he had a catchy chant. He'd done a fantastic at Burnley and was seen as one of the brightest up and coming managers even while managing us. 

Owen, Owen, Owen Coyle, what a ding-dong-do, :lol:!!! 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

Proper pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with his success at Burnley. The Burnley fans were apoplectic when he fucked off to us. Oh, how they laugh now. We’re four divisions apart!

26 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Those were the days! 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/643432-owen-coyle-not-arsene-wenger-should-be-arsenal-manager

44 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Proper pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with his success at Burnley. The Burnley fans were apoplectic when he fucked off to us. Oh, how they laugh now. We’re four divisions apart!

Aye, we then went and did the same to Palace with Freedman.

Really Coyle, Dougie, Lennon and Parkinson were all coups at the time, relative to where we were. Even Hill really considering we were already down.

Maybe those with promising CVs will have caught on to the fact we're career suicide, but I doubt it. Imagine we'll still be able to have our pick of the names mentioned.

15 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He talks a lot of sense but don’t think we need someone without some managerial experience. 

I liked what Karl Henry  had to say in the lov podcast  when he was on about the loosing mentality at the club with the players when he arrived and he got stuck into them . Might be a bit early for him As manager  but a coaching role would be good 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If all the names mentioned he’s head and shoulders the stand out candidate.... can I see it, no, but would be one hell of a statement. 

If we got either Clough or Dean Holden, I’d pull myself red raw

Clough was mentioned as a possible on Sunderlands site the other day.  His record generally suggests he'll have better options than us and I dont expect him to rush back into management just yet.

It's not an exact science.  Someone with little or no experience could just as easily make things click, as an experienced coach who's had problems elsewhere.  Please God we get lucky this time

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

If we got either Clough or Dean Holden, I’d pull myself red raw

Yeah, we need a proven manager who can fully rebuild the squad and a manager that knows the lower league's, Clough ticks all the boxes for me.

Edited by Blondi

2 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Hairy muff mate, I voted for Nigel Clough in the survey, proven track record with various clubs, but would he want to come to a 4th division club. 

Wonder if we should have nabbed the Cowley Brothers whilst they were at Lincoln? 

Although he has a decent track record I find it difficult to warm to Clough's personality.  I wonder what drive and enthusiasm he has to lift a new group of players and a new club, he always seems to be just going through the motions.  One fairly amazing achievement is that he's been to 3 major cup semis, with Div 1 clubs.  Two league cup semis with Sheff U and Burton and FA Cup semi with Sheff U.  

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Although he has a decent track record I find it difficult to warm to Clough's personality.  I wonder what drive and enthusiasm he has to lift a new group of players and a new club, he always seems to be just going through the motions.  One fairly amazing achievement is that he's been to 3 major cup semis, with Div 1 clubs.  Two league cup semis with Sheff U and Burton and FA Cup semi with Sheff U.  

If he’s half as mental as his dad then he’d make Hill look positively normal.