Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Blondi said:

I wouldn't put too much stall on that. Started by site owner desperate for clickbait.

Not to say Lowe couldn't be tempted by move back to NW, but think he'd want assurances on budgets.  

1 minute ago, tomski said:

Unsure why everyone is so against Lee. It’s perhaps not exciting but who is on the list. The only thing that’s been remotely exciting in the last 10 years are the players that have come through his team?

Lee or Nolan would get the feel good factor back and the place buzzing 

As previous appointments have shown there’s no science involved it may work it may not 

I just don’t want my memories of either to be of a failed manager buts It’s just pot luck 

• Site Supporter

Lee has no experience of managing senior players at all.

No other club has fancied him.

He’s put himself in the frame previously without success.

Why the fuck do people think that he is the man?

I’m honestly amazed that people think he should be manager.

5 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Lee has no experience of managing senior players at all.

No other club has fancied him.

He’s put himself in the frame previously without success.

Why the fuck do people think that he is the man?

I’m honestly amazed that people think he should be manager.

Relax steejay 

take it you don’t want lee

• Members
30 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

As previous appointments have shown there’s no science involved it may work it may not 

I just don’t want my memories of either to be of a failed manager buts It’s just pot luck 

Bollocks to the feel good factor. It’s only going to get us and has only got us so far.

Coyle had the feel factor, so did Sammy lee for about 20 minutes.

Edited by Rudy

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Unsure why everyone is so against Lee. It’s perhaps not exciting but who is on the list. The only thing that’s been remotely exciting in the last 10 years are the players that have come through his team?

I honestly think the majority of Bolton fans would think it means FV have fook all ambition for the club. We might as well go for Phil Brown or Nolan if we want a BWFC connection, but no way Lee.

Edited by Blondi

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Relax steejay 

take it you don’t want lee

Haha, I’m relaxed pal.

On my third beer...

Just getting less relaxed every time I hear Lee’s name put forward.

Either Lee or Brown should be last in line for the job.

• Members
Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Remind me because I can’t think of any and his 1 win in 12 was great, anyway I’m not saying lee just thinking why some may want him 

I’m taking the piss mate. We got beat at Portsmouth I think, tactics all over the place and Sammy Lee somehow spotted the positives. 

17 hours ago, Benny Bear said:

I believe it works something like this.

The coach or manager (in discussion with Sporting Director) says something like "We need a speedy left sided midfielder who is capable of putting tackles in". In other words they set a criteria. The Sporting Director looks ta the data that fits that criteria and finds a few players, who they then go and watch etc. The coach the works with those players who have been acquired. It is a more targetted approach. It saves a lot of pointless scouting here, their and everywhere and managers who spend alot of their time on wasted journeys watching players who are nowhere near what they need. It works at Brentford - where they uncovered a lot of quality players.

Fair enough, good explanation, I see the logic.  If its a young coach with no track record etc, its possible.  But if its someone like Bowyer or Adkins or Browny, they have built up contacts in the last 15 years, and they just "know" players.  They have a working relationship with them, they may have worked at a higher level than Div 2 and had to let players go because they weren't upto championship standard, but 4 years later they are perfect for Bolton in Div 2.  All the data in the world isnt going to identify that player as someone the director of football would recommend, you cant have data on professional respect or personality, or whether they sulk if they get dropped.  Just not for me unless its purely advisory, in which case I'm all for it.

17 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Never mind the manager we might get, what qualifies Tobias Pheonix to take charge of signings?

Don't think we need to be trying to reinvent the wheel when we're the biggest team and have twice the gate of just about every team in the League.

If Adkins or whoever would take it, we'd be mad to pick some unknown reserve team coach just because of some vague philosophy we're signing up for.

Spot on.  This fancy new system would suggest if Guardiola and Klopp were interviewed for the job, they would be asked if they are OK for Tobias to choose their players for them.  In all seriousness, we are going to lose out on better managers than the one we end up with.

10 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair enough, good explanation, I see the logic.  If its a young coach with no track record etc, its possible.  But if its someone like Bowyer or Adkins or Browny, they have built up contacts in the last 15 years, and they just "know" players.  They have a working relationship with them, they may have worked at a higher level than Div 2 and had to let players go because they weren't upto championship standard, but 4 years later they are perfect for Bolton in Div 2.  All the data in the world isnt going to identify that player as someone the director of football would recommend, you cant have data on professional respect or personality, or whether they sulk if they get dropped.  Just not for me unless its purely advisory, in which case I'm all for it.

I know someone like that, Keith Hill

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

That I completely understand. 

Id be no happier or sadder if he beat anyone on the list though. 

Edited by tomski

I'm now swaying towards Nigel Clough, bit of experience, knows the lower league and will have a thick contact book. Who ever it is we need  to give them time like we did with Allardyce unless the new manager spouts off like Mr Hill.

Time needs to be given to the new manager.

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Bollocks to the feel good factor. It’s only going to get us and has only got us so far.

Coyle had the feel factor, so did Sammy lee for about 20 minutes.

There was a massive feelgood factor for Hillcroft.  I know there were other factors but I've never known a buzz like the one we had for the Bradford cup game, considering nobody cared what the result was.  We'll get a feel good factor if we look like we've got a team to be proud of, it wont matter who's stood on the side.