Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Sammy Lee didn’t 

I do remember there was a buzz for his signings even if we weren't sure about him as manager.  At the time I was excited about the new emphasis on "attractive" football.  He signed Wilhemmson, Braatan, Alonso, Helguson, Guthrie, Samuel and we still had Anelka.  Then reality set in, he wasn't a manager and some of signings weren't upto it, to say the least (I always liked Helgusson and JLS though). 

In my opinion, unless you're defusing a bomb, experience counts for little. I would like a young gun in, someone who really feels they can make their mark given an opportunity. A cheap as chips salary perhaps and a sliding scale of bonus payments reflecting success. 

We need to strike a line through everything and begin again, right across the board. Never be frightened of change and the opportunities it can bring, and boy do we need a change.

18 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I do remember there was a buzz for his signings even if we weren't sure about him as manager.  At the time I was excited about the new emphasis on "attractive" football.  He signed Wilhemmson, Braatan, Alonso, Helguson, Guthrie, Samuel and we still had Anelka.  Then reality set in, he wasn't a manager and some of signings weren't upto it, to say the least (I always liked Helgusson and JLS though). 

Wasn't Alonso a Coyle signing?

11 minutes ago, Offshore said:

Wasn't Alonso a Coyle signing?

Different Alonso, a crap midfield player who iirc played in that utter shambles under Lee at Portsmouth where we had Nolan on the left wing. He didn't last long, i think Megson soon fucked him off.

56 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Ryan Lowe is a young Rioch. Watch the video

I beg to differ 

Bruce Rioch played at the highest level in English football winning the league at Derby County 

Bruce learned his trade by playing under some top Managers -  Brian Clough Ron Saunders Billy Bingham  & Tommy Doherty etc 

He was also a decent Scottish International 

This Ryan Lowe is a non entity in footballing terms - what has he achieved ? 

There is no comparison 

18 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Different Alonso, a crap midfield player who iirc played in that utter shambles under Lee at Portsmouth where we had Nolan on the left wing. He didn't last long, i think Megson soon fucked him off.

Of course! Wasn't he the brother of the scouser? Sunday wine head has kicked in................................

1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

I know someone like that, Keith Hill

I dont want to start a seperate debate on Hill...but his signings werent the problem were they?  Verlinden, Bridcutt, Buckley (could see the sense in that for Div 1), Crawford; Bunney and Delaney could yet be good, O'Grady a top pro, Chicksen and Emannuel better than expected, Murphy quality finishing, Hamilton good at times, can see the potential.  Of course there were some duds as well. Are we really expecting to find better signings for no money, whatever the recruitment system?  Some of these wouldnt have signed for us on in our predicament if they didnt know Hill or Flitcroft, its a fact of football life at this level, you need to have contacts.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I beg to differ 

Bruce Rioch played at the highest level in English football winning the league at Derby County 

Bruce learned his trade by playing under some top Managers -  Brian Clough Ron Saunders Billy Bingham  & Tommy Doherty etc 

He was also a decent Scottish International 

This Ryan Lowe is a non entity in footballing terms - what has he achieved ? 

There is no comparison 

What did you think of the video?

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont want to start a seperate debate on Hill...but his signings werent the problem were they?  Verlinden, Bridcutt, Buckley (could see the sense in that for Div 1), Crawford; Bunney and Delaney could yet be good, O'Grady a top pro, Chicksen and Emannuel better than expected, Murphy quality finishing, Hamilton good at times, can see the potential.  Of course there were some duds as well. Are we really expecting to find better signings for no money, whatever the recruitment system?  Some of these wouldnt have signed for us on in our predicament if they didnt know Hill or Flitcroft, its a fact of football life at this level, you need to have contacts.

Aye, but he didn’t know what to do with them after he signed them.

Clueless tactician.

No matter what trade you’re in, a good manager is someone who gets the best out of the resources at his disposal.

Hill clearly didn’t do that and then had a pop at the fans.

Fuck off.

Him, not you. 😁

Glad you clarified that!  Agree we need a manager that can organise a team, give them a plan and communicate it well enough for them to carry it out, like a Chris Wilder or Chris Hughton etc.  But its another string to their bow if they have contacts and influence.  We could have the best manager there is but he needs the players as well, I'm just not convinced the new system is the best way of achieving it.

• Site Supporter

Don’t know if anyone else feels this way now, but I actually don’t mind who it is that takes over.

Even though I’ve voted Sam Rickets, it could be as extreme as Sol Campbell, Neil Warnock, Nigel Clough or David Lee, they would all receive the same backing and support from me.

I’m trusting FV. Early doors it looked like they’d made a good decision with KH/DF and the combination of home grown roots and knowing the lower league market was paying off.

They’ve acted swiftly and correctly knowing this didn’t turn out right. I’m trusting now they will have either lined someone else up, or will ensure they put the right research in to get someone who fits their changed philosophy.

Don’t mind threads like this as long as they don’t get used for “I told you so’s”. “I never wanted him in the first place”

Let’s get behind them whatever decision they make. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Just been out for a walk and was mulling over the potential new manager.

Most of our successful managers have been tall, hear me out.....

Big fellas: Allardyce, Todd, Rioch, Ian Greaves .....

Relatively small and some midgets: Sammy Lee, Freedman, Lennon, McGovern....

So anyone over 5'11 will do for me 😁

So that rules out Lowe, Clough & Lee then, looks like Nigel Adkins is our next gaffer.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Peter Crouch will have us in Champions league in no time

11 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Todd was exactly the same height as Lennon & Freedman, all of whom was shorter than Mcgovern & Coyle.

Lee at one extreme, and Allardyce at the other, I will give you, both on height & success as managers.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Champions League in 5yrs under Shaquil O'Neill

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Todd only 5.9, always looked bigger.

I was stood next to Andy Todd in Asda Middlebrook the week after he'd knocked the fuck out of Collymore. I'm a shortarse but we were similar size. Remember thinking fair play, must be a proper hard bastard.