Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Correct 

utter nonsense that a non league manager won’t have the pulling power 

half of the pulling power is done with just the name bolton wanderers and it’s set up 

That's how I see it.

Listening to lowe on that podcast thing, it is clear that even newish managers, at lower league clubs have a wealth of contacts within the game from their playing days.

As you say, a big fish in a small pond too.

Strangely, there seem to be a number of half decent, young managers/coaches who may fit the bill.

Can't help feeling someone young and hungry with enthusiasm will benefit the youngsters.

Not sure a journeyman manager is what is needed at the moment, but what do any of us truly know.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

im hoping FV already have an idea who will fit their model and will get their target. Personally id much rather have a younger manager who has proven himself in the lower leagues , be able to spot decent available talent to get us back on track. Much rather have guys like Evatt, Lowe or even the Rangers guy than the usual merry go round league regulars or someone who just happens to have played for us in past. 

I'd be amazed if we couldn't attract a manager like Evatt, yeah I get that his stock is currently high, but Barrow play in front of about 2K fans, I've read that his compo could be at least 100K, but we're no longer employing Emma, so maybe we can push the boat out for a young ambitious manager like Evatt?

Steven Reid is an interesting one.  Got coaching experience and looks like he'd have a presence that nobody would feck with him.  No lower league experience though as a player or manager.  Ex Rovers doesnt bother me though and surprised it does others

50 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Steven Reid is an interesting one.  Got coaching experience and looks like he'd have a presence that nobody would feck with him.  No lower league experience though as a player or manager.  Ex Rovers doesnt bother me though and surprised it does others

Ex Rovers and ex Burnley isnt he

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Whitestar said:

You've got a point,  but it was very important to get as many fans inside that ground as possible, any " meh" and its SO hard to get em back.

Problem when some folks’ last excuse not to go was that Megson is a prick! Don’t be expecting folk to start turning up because of who gets appointed as manager, they only show when we start winning more games than we lose.

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes, though only 7 games for the latter. 

No objections to his Blackburn connections, it was just a place to play during his career. Different story for a David Dunn or James Beattie etc. 

Was thinking the same. I’m no fan of chicken botherers but he’s no Simon Garner etc.

27 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Problem when some folks’ last excuse not to go was that Megson is a prick! Don’t be expecting folk to start turning up because of who gets appointed as manager, they only show when we start winning more games than we lose.

Which is fine. I agree the club need to make a proper effort this time though.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, tomski said:

Which is fine. I agree the club need to make a proper effort this time though.

What I’m getting at is a new manager won’t sell too many tickets. Season Ticket sales will be what they’ll be but half-season and pay-per-game sales will depend almost wholly on results.

what the hell are you doing up at this time anyway? 😒

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

What I’m getting at is a new manager won’t sell too many tickets. Season Ticket sales will be what they’ll be but half-season and pay-per-game sales will depend almost wholly on results.

what the hell are you doing up at this time anyway? 😒

I agree those that will go will go but it would be nice to see the club have a bit of a drive. If their was a time to do this then it’s now or never I suppose. 

Regular time these days as someone in my house likes getting up this early. What’s your excuse?

• Site Supporter

Just lay awake watching numbers on a clock. Decided to stop procrastinating at 03.30ish and go downstairs for a bit of Wanderersways therapy.

Those message boards aren’t going to read themselves, you know! 🤣

• Site Supporter

We were linked with Sean Dyche at one point (think it was the Freedman time) but I didn’t want to touch him with a barge pole.

The non-obvious choice might turn out to be a master stroke. Maybe it’s time to bring Gumbo home

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Horwich said:

That is correct. I doubt Tobias is not really arsed about us, if we are being honest.

What a strange thing to say

Could get it if you posted it about 99% of folk in football

Otherwise, why start now

In summary...

Over 200 votes fairly evenly split between Ricketts, Clough, ANOther n Nolan.

Every other named candidate in the vote has received support.

Over the course of this thread almost 30 names being seriously touted, with most being rubbished by at least one other person.

Just goes to show what a difficult decision it is for FV to make.

imo they have already made up their mind, it’s a brave decision to get rid of hillcroft, so u wouldn’t do that unless u had a plan. That’s how FV work.

Lets hope they get their man (or woman)