Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

The only 2 that excite me are Evatt and Lowe, of the unemployed lot only Adkins fits the bill.

This is exactly my position as well. If we’re going with a DOF then I can only see a young up & coming Head Coach being appointed, such as Evatt or Lowe and I think Evatt edges it for the excellent job he’s done at Barrow and the article I’ve read sound like he’s an intelligent & progressive Coach.

2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

The only 2 that excite me are Evatt and Lowe, of the unemployed lot only Adkins fits the bill.

I agree, and given that Adkins hasnt been mentioned by anyone and isnt even in the betting list you'd have to assume there's only 2 "exciting" options. 

If its Beale, Ricketts or Holden I'll trust judgement that they've come across really well and have a plan and I'd definitely get behind them until they prove otherwise.

I wouldn't be having sleepless nights if it was Hurst, Heckingbottom, Clough or Bowyer - not going to take us to the moon, but not going to take us down either.

The what the hell are you playing at options are Campbell, Powell, Sheridan, Grayson and Lee.  I would lose all enthusiasm for the season.

9 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I agree, and given that Adkins hasnt been mentioned by anyone and isnt even in the betting list you'd have to assume there's only 2 "exciting" options. 

If its Beale, Ricketts or Holden I'll trust judgement that they've come across really well and have a plan and I'd definitely get behind them until they prove otherwise.

I wouldn't be having sleepless nights if it was Hurst, Heckingbottom, Clough or Bowyer - not going to take us to the moon, but not going to take us down either.

The what the hell are you playing at options are Campbell, Powell, Sheridan, Grayson and Lee.  I would lose all enthusiasm for the season.

Pretty much where I'm at, I think. Although I'd probably have some in your second group in the ecciting category, and I think you're being unduly harsh on Powell and Grayson.

9 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Pretty much where I'm at, I think. Although I'd probably have some in your second group in the ecciting category, and I think you're being unduly harsh on Powell and Grayson.

I suppose Evatt and Lowe have the golden ticket of appearing to have a great future and something about them, with a bit of track record to back them up (if they'd been good for more than a couple of years we wouldnt have a chance).  Whereas Beale, Ricketts and Holden could be just as good, but dont currently have much of a track record at 1st team level.

Of Grayson and Powell, I would put Grayson above Powell as he did a great job at PNE on a budget.  But his record since and the way he came across on the Sunderland programme counts massively against him, for us in our current situation.  Absolutely zero I can think of to recommend Powell as the man to take us forward from where we are, the only box he ticks is that he isnt a Sol Campbell type loose cannon.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I suppose Evatt and Lowe have the golden ticket of appearing to have a great future and something about them, with a bit of track record to back them up (if they'd been good for more than a couple of years we wouldnt have a chance).  Whereas Beale, Ricketts and Holden could be just as good, but dont currently have much of a track record at 1st team level.

Of Grayson and Powell, I would put Grayson above Powell as he did a great job at PNE on a budget.  But his record since and the way he came across on the Sunderland programme counts massively against him, for us in our current situation.  Absolutely zero I can think of to recommend Powell as the man to take us forward from where we are, the only box he ticks is that he isnt a Sol Campbell type loose cannon.

I haven't watched the Sunderland documentary but what I do know is that no manager ever succeeds there. Powell and Grayson are both promotion winners. They're streets ahead of the likes if Campbell, Sheridan and Lee.

I don’t mind Powell and whilst he wouldn’t be my first choice or even close I wouldn’t moan if he got it. I Wouldn’t be excited but would see him as a safe pair of hands. But I don’t think that’s what we need. We need to kickstart the club again on a forward trajectory 

I don’t believe for a second that Sheridan is remotely in the running.

A fake BWFC account on Twitter complete with terrible photoshopping (most likely created by a Plymouth fan) is the only time his name has been mentioned.

Complete non-story that one. 

Heckingbottom is a dour sort: you don't want him. 

When it's going well, he's great. He reverts to 451 hoofball and blaming everything/everyone else for his failings when results start to slide, though. 

He is not as big a twat as your last bloke - The King Of Twats - but you'd tire of his poor-me schtick fairly quickly. 

Yes, I understand that his budget at Barnsley was not wonderful. Got it. I even got it before his 100th whine about the same thing. But leaders are supposed to lead. If he speaks to his players in the same negative way he speaks to the fans, we were always doomed. 

He is a miserable sod who plays football to make your eyes bleed. For a 'new' Bolton with a blank slate to build a squad from scratch, he would not set my pulse racing. 

Yep, there were good days. But he has never shown the ability to manage. He kept the pot boiling after Lee Johnson left, and I do accept that he was given a very lousy hand when half the squad left in January of 2017. That is when he needed to manage, and not just piggyback the work which had gone on before. He couldn't do it. Leeds or Hibs I don't know a lot about. But I was sick of his complaining and was glad when he left us. 

Edited by BarnsleyFan
Spelling.

8 hours ago, Stevey B said:

Take a look at who Ian Evatt's agent Steve Whiston has just started following...

Or should I say, take a look at who Toby Brittain's most recent follower is...

Minor variations on established user names?

All a bit BN comments page.

Not for me Clive. 

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

He signed Vela and Doidge for Hibs...mmm.  Although he signed Kiefer Moore and Ollie McBurnie for Barnsley which made them a tidy profit, and got them promoted from Div 1 and to halfway in Championship when he left for Leeds.  Only given 3 months at Leeds so unfair to judge that with no transfer window etc. I'm not really interested in what he did in Scotland, same with so many other managers up there, it doesnt count for much as its such a wierd league. 

Doidge turned out to be an excellent signing....once Heckingbottom left. Literally hadn't scored a goal under PH and then scored a hat trick in the first game after he was sacked. He actually started off pretty well with what was left of Lennon's squad but signed 9 players last summer and promptly won 1 game in 11 before being sacked. Not exactly a good omen for building a squad with us.

10 hours ago, BarnsleyFan said:

Heckingbottom is a dour sort: you don't want him. 

When it's going well, he's great. He reverts to 451 hoofball and blaming everything/everyone else for his failings when results start to slide, though. 

He is not as big a twat as your last bloke - The King Of Twats - but you'd tire of his poor-me schtick fairly quickly. 

Yes, I understand that his budget at Barnsley was not wonderful. Got it. I even got it before his 100th whine about the same thing. But leaders are supposed to lead. If he speaks to his players in the same negative way he speaks to the fans, we were always doomed. 

He is a miserable sod who plays football to make your eyes bleed. For a 'new' Bolton with a blank slate to build a squad from scratch, he would not set my pulse racing. 

Yep, there were good days. But he has never shown the ability to manage. He kept the pot boiling after Lee Johnson left, and I do accept that he was given a very lousy hand when half the squad left in January of 2017. That is when he needed to manage, and not just piggyback the work which had gone on before. He couldn't do it. Leeds or Hibs I don't know a lot about. But I was sick of his complaining and was glad when he left us. 

Goes with my thoughts that he isn't a big enough character to lead this madhouse  successfully, there has only been Rioch and Allardyce that have in the last 40 years.I think it's largely irrelevant who the manager is next season anyway.The existing squad of youths and a handful of pros is pisspoor and due to embargos on paying fees and decent wages we won't be paying for a promotion winning standard one this summer.I suppose a bad manager could have us down in the bottom 6, but i wouldn't fancy the next young Allardyce to mould a promotion winning side from the crock of  shite he will be inheriting.

5 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Looks like Evatt is going to be our new manager, 1/4 now can't see it being anybody else.

Interesting article popped up in the Barrow Newspaper this morning 

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/18534856.manager-ian-evatt-thanks-barrow-afc-boards-support/

Evatt quoted in there saying "What we've done is do everything I said we'd do " 

No mention of where we go next , planning ahead, sitting down with the board  etc. 

Maybe I am reading too much into it , maybe its wishful thinking on my part 

12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I haven't watched the Sunderland documentary but what I do know is that no manager ever succeeds there. Powell and Grayson are both promotion winners. They're streets ahead of the likes if Campbell, Sheridan and Lee.

I dont want it to seem like I've anything against Powell, a great bloke.  But its 8 years since he got Charlton promoted - from Div 1 on gates of 18k - it would have been a failure to do anything else.  Then he took them to bottom of Championship the following season and was sacked in March.  Done absolutely nothing of merit since.  I genuinely dont understand how he's getting a mention above others that are out of work.