Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would I be right in thinking that a lot of player contracts expire on the 30th? If so having a manager in place by then would be crucial to make sure we hit the ground running with transfers. 

I don’t like the idea of paying such a big price for a non league manager but if we’ve got the money then go for it. Just reckon we could do with some of that money for player contracts...

what would you rather have a good manager or more of a pick from the free agent catalogue? 

1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

If just 2,500 of us put £100 in now, against our future season tickets, job's a good 'un.

This is probably for the season tickets thread, but I agree with this completely.  Not necessarily to pay for a new manager, but surely they want some income?  Loads of us would be happy to "advance" the club £100 to use towards the season ticket.  We'd all be paying towards it now under normal circumstances and we'd completely understand the club needs some "readies" for signing new players etc.

8 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Would I be right in thinking that a lot of player contracts expire on the 30th? If so having a manager in place by then would be crucial to make sure we hit the ground running with transfers. 

I don’t like the idea of paying such a big price for a non league manager but if we’ve got the money then go for it. Just reckon we could do with some of that money for player contracts...

what would you rather have a good manager or more of a pick from the free agent catalogue? 

A good manager obviously, and although he's only been in non league, he got Barrow promoted with a bottom 6 budget, so he's got summat about him.

3 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

There is no way we will or should pay 250k for him and is assistant then what ever contract there going to need on  top  well out of our budget  we have to put a team together yet 

How does anyone know what our budget is, plus dont forget we are in an embargo - we cant buy anyone - we cant pay loan fees and we have a salary cap

2 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

A good manager obviously, and although he's only been in non league, he got Barrow promoted with a bottom 6 budget, so he's got summat about him.

I agree he’s got something about him but I remember Coyle also seemed to with Burnley and he started well with us before it went to pot. I remember David Ginola on MOTD saying he thought we could get top 4!

10 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Good manager every day of the week.  We've needed one for about 15 years.

7 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

How does anyone know what our budget is, plus dont forget we are in an embargo - we cant buy anyone - we cant pay loan fees and we have a salary cap

Pretty much the same as everyone else in League Two then, bar Salford. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt

3 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Well we have just lost about a million quid in income if the reports are rights and there were still outstanding debt owed from the takeover still not sorted . So I can’t see our budget being to high . Hopefully if it’s the guy they want they can bring the figure down  

12 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

And he's had 2 promotions with Blackpool from league 1 to the prem as a player. So deffo got something about him

Edited by Popeye doyle

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Pretty much the same as everyone else in League Two then, bar Salford. 

Salford have scrapped there academy to save half a million a year  May  be to invest in first team or they might be struggling financially ? 

Edited by Farnywhite

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Having a good manager obviously helps, but I'd rather have a good squad of players and an average manager.

Anyway, hopefully Evatt's announced as our manager by this time tomorrow.

Not for me.  The poor manager will pick the wrong players, in the wrong positions.  He'll play the centre forward on the wing (ALF) and go all defensive when we're 1-0 up. For years I've just wanted us to look organised, have a plan and play players in their correct positions.  Who those players are is secondary.

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Having a good manager obviously helps, but I'd rather have a good squad of players and an average manager.

Anyway, hopefully Evatt's announced as our manager by this time tomorrow.

Other way round for me.

20 minutes ago, tomski said:

I see the paying compo as a good thing and a real sign of intent from FV that they want the right bloke not the cheapest. All positive to me if this in fact the case.

Didn’t the clubs CEO resign a few weeks ago to save money ? that’s what came out of the club it’s a huge amount for us 

I can’t see the compensation  figure being right though why would he agree to a quarter of a million handcuff to barrow if he is ambitious 

Edited by Farnywhite

19 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Didn’t the clubs CEO resign a few weeks ago to save money ? that’s what came out of the club it’s a huge amount for us 

I can’t see the compensation  figure being right though why would he agree to a quarter of a million handcuff to barrow if he is ambitious 

Not sure that was the case but I’m only guessing.

I think an ambitious manager would agree that kind of compo as he’d have the belief it would be paid (like it seems to have) and he can probably earn a few more quid with a higher release???

40 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not for me.  The poor manager will pick the wrong players, in the wrong positions.  He'll play the centre forward on the wing (ALF) and go all defensive when we're 1-0 up. For years I've just wanted us to look organised, have a plan and play players in their correct positions.  Who those players are is secondary.

I never mentioned poor managers, and in any case Parky certainly isn't a poor manager.

Good managers will definitely improve players, but if the raw materials aren't there then a good manager can only do so much.