Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

15 minutes in, just get this mon in quickly. Its easy to talk the talk, but this fella knows what he is doing and knows what he wants.

I'm going to crack open a beer and watch it once its official

16 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm going to crack open a beer and watch it once its official

He does not hide the fact he tries to copy quardiola way of playing. Ball playing keeper ball playing centre backs. Every player wanting the ball. High pressing when not in possession. I wonder why more coaches do not play this way. Arteta I thought would copy this style   He watched everything quardiola  does to set a team up then totally goes against that style at Arsenal

Edited by masi 51

2 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

He does not hide the fact he tries to copy quardiola way of playing. Ball playing keeper ball playing centre backs. Every player wanting the ball. High pressing when not in possession. I wonder why more coaches do not play this way. Arteta I thought would copy this style he watched everything quardiola set a team up then totally goes against that style at Arsenal

This is how it’s rolled out at grassroots level it’s a joy to watch, be nice to see a bwfc team playing football for a change 

• Site Supporter

Regarding Artera, you can only play a style and system with the players you inherit sure he will adapt as he goes on and change personnel to play more like he’s been used to with Pep, Pep had a season before he really developed City into what they are now,  luckily with Evatt (presuming it’s him) he’s going to have a near enough clean slate regarding players so can implement this style on the club and build. But that what it is a building project, and if it’s successful he’ll be with us temporarily! 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

This is how it’s rolled out at grassroots level it’s a joy to watch, be nice to see a bwfc team playing football for a change 

A throw back to Toddy’s champions will be ace to watch

I don’t see why folk feel a need for such discounts. It’s been proven it doesn’t work. We can’t shift many more tickets at £10.

hand out discounts constantly and you devalue the product. It’s been mentioned before but have a look how much it is to watch shit non league football. it really isn’t that badly priced but people just don’t want to pay other than the “core”

8 minutes ago, Big E said:

I don’t see why folk feel a need for such discounts. It’s been proven it doesn’t work. We can’t shift many more tickets at £10.

hand out discounts constantly and you devalue the product. It’s been mentioned before but have a look how much it is to watch shit non league football. it really isn’t that badly priced but people just don’t want to pay other than the “core”

I don’t think the pricing is bad either

for me keep the kids tickets & bus fares the same (bit of an increase last time on bus) and look at the other things like catering options etc 

36 minutes ago, Big E said:

You roll this out every time! 😂

Though it doesn't & won't work on a cold February Tuesday night against the likes of Southend. When they do a discounted offer it's always at the wrong times, hardly going to get the juices flowing for a lapsed supporter is it?

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

He does not hide the fact he tries to copy quardiola way of playing. Ball playing keeper ball playing centre backs. Every player wanting the ball. High pressing when not in possession. I wonder why more coaches do not play this way. Arteta I thought would copy this style   He watched everything quardiola  does to set a team up then totally goes against that style at Arsenal

Not the English way especially down the leagues more physical and lump it and of course you need the players to play it 

20 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Though it doesn't & won't work on a cold February Tuesday night against the likes of Southend. When they do a discounted offer it's always at the wrong times, hardly going to get the juices flowing for a lapsed supporter is it?

I like the idea, chance for some families to get kids there who may not normally get took, fill the stadium up and hopefully entice more to come regularly. At least it shows the club trying.

It didn't help when the discounted games were that dreadful they still seemed expensive.

14 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I like the idea, chance for some families to get kids there who may not normally get took, fill the stadium up and hopefully entice more to come regularly. At least it shows the club trying.

I agree with you entirely, the point I was making is that when they try it , it is unfortunately the wrong games & the wrong times, that's why it doesn't work.

After listening to the first podcast, I’m really impressed with Evatt. Down to earth, interacts well with players, has a good footballing philosophy and a winning mentality - in fact he’s all the things that Keith Hill wasn’t!

i really hope they get this deal over the line this weekend 🤞

57 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

It’s because it’s true. Surely a plastic Yorkshire man like thee can see this. 

most lapsed fans don’t go because there is more things to do in modern society and more football available on tv

18 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Struggled for that chesterfield game

Only 23k excellent for league one but given our position and £5 anywhere in the ground I thought was poor

poor? come on. you have some saying cheap tickets dont work but 23k for a game v Chesterfield (!) is a good effort given the competition around here i reckon .Pity team didnt turn up! same as that Grimsby game (25k?) shows can work if do it at say half term like the Grimsby game iirc. 

Anyway if Evatt can get us going reckon wed get 20k on at end if season with bit imagination from club.  Bollocks to Bolton At Home day tho :lol: 

28 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Am I right in thinking that no appointment can be made until Hills contract runs out? if so that would explain the silence from  the club.

No; they’d just announce the new manager with a start date of the day after

It’ll only be the haggling we’re waiting on

19 minutes ago, snowball said:

poor? come on. you have some saying cheap tickets dont work but 23k for a game v Chesterfield (!) is a good effort given the competition around here i reckon .Pity team didnt turn up! same as that Grimsby game (25k?) shows can work if do it at say half term like the Grimsby game iirc. 

Anyway if Evatt can get us going reckon wed get 20k on at end if season with bit imagination from club.  Bollocks to Bolton At Home day tho :lol:

Given the circumstances it was disappointing imo 

undefeated in 7 and 5 wins on the bounce prior

when you consider Peterborough game had slightly less and prices was full whack 

Edited by radcliffe white

5 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

And it was 0-0 against the bottom side, already relegated and they were far by the better team. Hence none of them who paid the 5 dabs never returned.

Apparently Evatt was on charge of them for a few games, not sure if this was one of them.

Out injured

15 hours ago, desperado said:

Good post

Although the buy in for that generation (my eldest is 15) is arguably better than it was for mine (born 73).

Yes the decline through the last decade has been drastic, the club has been horrifically run and memories of the golden era are vague. But they’ve had the 2 seasons of last day glory going on the pitch, consistent home crowds above 13,000, a proud commitment of following your home town club in a world class stadium and a fantastic away following.

In the early/mid 80s at primary school it was hard admitting you were a Bolton fan. The best it got was a victory at home against Kevin Keegans Newcastle. It was grim.

But I’m convinced the harder you have it, the better it is when the tide turns. This generation are the same as us (born in the 70s) They are IN now, they are BWFC and there’s no turning back.

The excitement for this generation is that it just might replicate the 90s revival that we experienced. And I don’t care what any other fan in the world says it wouldn’t surpass being a Bolton fan. 

COYFWM

That's a great post.  Yes, although I still enjoyed going to Burnden in the 80s because it was a good laugh, to the outsider it was grim.  Crowds were terrible, not inflated by season ticket sales like now, and yes the Newcastle game stood out hugely as a "top" result and atmosphere.  Ironic that the only other that came close was the previous home game, Sheff Wed 81-82 that kept us up.

Going through the 80s definitely made the 90s that much better, chalk and cheese, I was on cloud 9 most of the time, there's not another club in the UK you'd rather have supported than us.  For the last few years (post-Wilbraham), we've been about 90th in the list of clubs you'd rather support, joint with Macclesfield and just above Bury.

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Given the circumstances it was disappointing imo 

undefeated in 7 and 5 wins on the bounce prior

when you consider Peterborough game had slightly less and prices was full whack 

Ticket sales for most games are about 2 or 3000 home fans.  For the Chesterfield game it was about 13,000.  Approx 500% increase for that game, how could that be disappointing?  There are only so many Bolton fans available to attend a game on a Saturday, I dont think we got a crowd of 23k in the last 20 years at Burnden (different times I know).