Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, white noise said:

You need to listen to these podcasts, this guy seems like the real deal and when you have listened to these, I bet that you have a little tingle of excitement!

gave up and listened!

"if you want to play football recruit footballers"

im in! massively disappointed bow if he doesnt come.

plus it will be a long haul winning over the nobs at our place who moan and groan when we go backwards to keep possession! get it up! in the box! noooo wrong way! boot it up!

Bring it on though 

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Ticket sales for most games are about 2 or 3000 home fans.  For the Chesterfield game it was about 13,000.  Approx 500% increase for that game, how could that be disappointing?  There are only so many Bolton fans available to attend a game on a Saturday, I dont think we got a crowd of 23k in the last 20 years at Burnden (different times I know).

Last 20 years of Burnden might be a stretch as presumably we had a few big ones in the late 70s? Once Normid was built then the capacity was much reduced anyway. Certainly had a few sell outs from the Rioch era though.

The Chesterfield crowd (and Grimsby to a certain extent) was cheap tickets coinciding with the team doing well. It’s been shown on so many occasions that unless you can get the latter right then there’s only a finite number of people wanting to turn up, regardless of the price. 

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Ticket sales for most games are about 2 or 3000 home fans.  For the Chesterfield game it was about 13,000.  Approx 500% increase for that game, how could that be disappointing?  There are only so many Bolton fans available to attend a game on a Saturday, I dont think we got a crowd of 23k in the last 20 years at Burnden (different times I know).

Burnden Parks capacity was less than 23k anyway for many years up to leaving for many games we could have sold many more than the 21k or whatever it was

Blackburn had similar year after us in league 1 avg 12/13k and got 27k against oxford on an offer 

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Struggled for that chesterfield game

Only 23k excellent for league one but given our position and £5 anywhere in the ground I thought was poor

Chesterfield had 668 fans on that day , if say that had been a premier league game and some team had brought 5000 with them , it would have been a near capacity crowd .

Reality is  our home attendance in the  premier league on a good day when the ground was virtually full never really got beyond 22-23000. 

To get beyond that is about more than money , its actually about engaging with "supporters" who have never really been in the habit of going on anything other than an occasional basis. 

Remember one of my daughters coming home from primary school pleading to go to watch Blackburn Rovers because several classes at school had been offered free tickets and all her friends were going  Her then school had a BL6 postcode same as our ground - never seen BWFC do that at her school. 

8 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Chesterfield had 668 fans on that day , if say that had been a premier league game and some team had brought 5000 with them , it would have been a near capacity crowd .

Reality is  our home attendance in the  premier league on a good day when the ground was virtually full never really got beyond 22-23000

To get beyond that is about more than money , its actually about engaging with "supporters" who have never really been in the habit of going on anything other than an occasional basis. 

Remember one of my daughters coming home from primary school pleading to go to watch Blackburn Rovers because several classes at school had been offered free tickets and all her friends were going  Her then school had a BL6 postcode same as our ground - never seen BWFC do that at her school. 

Funny you say that Blackburn for a few years have been trying the Bury area with flyers and free tickets for schools, fair play but can’t imagine many taking up the offer 

2 hours ago, ProfessorWoland said:

One of the kids for a fiver games I nearly threw myself off the ESU.  Mercifully I can't recall which one.

The only reason I kept going was purely morbid curiosity if we could get any shite-er...I was so detatched by the end, ninety odd minutes of silent numbness invariably followed by a brief tirade of expletives, mainly aimed at Parky, on full-time.

We are due an exciting manager after the dross we've been served up this last 10 or so years, don't think Hill would've been anywhere near the club had it not been an emergency appointment, with the money saved on transfer fees, we should be easily in a position where we buy Evatt's contract out.

2 minutes ago, tomski said:

23k for division 3 fixture which was a shite 0-0 was a good crowd. 

Cheap tickets do work aw we doubled the crowd. Struggling to see how that’s a fail.

Cheap tickets work when the club are doing well or something to play for like brum other year

Edited by radcliffe white

2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yeah it did, put that into a nothing game like Brentford year or so back and it makes no difference 

Cold blooded picking Brentford of all teams to pick. Next you’ll be saying Doncaster.

You are probably right and that’s why the club doesn’t pick random little riding games to push the promotion.

3 hours ago, snowball said:

poor? come on. you have some saying cheap tickets dont work but 23k for a game v Chesterfield (!) is a good effort given the competition around here i reckon .Pity team didnt turn up! same as that Grimsby game (25k?) shows can work if do it at say half term like the Grimsby game iirc. 

Anyway if Evatt can get us going reckon wed get 20k on at end if season with bit imagination from club.  Bollocks to Bolton At Home day tho :lol:

Exactly! 

It shows it does work, at the right time... & there in lies the problem. The marketing of such offers are rarely planned correctly & proactively planned in advance to work. Unfortunately they are normally planned reactively & incorrectly, so the majority of the time it fails.

As soon as the fixture list come out, they should be looking at the opportunities to encourage supporters to come back or come more often with good enticements. 

Sometimes it just feels like it's a short term reactive late minute decision because crowds are dwindling, which never works due to the obvious reason of dwindling of support 

3 hours ago, Big E said:

It’s because it’s true. Surely a plastic Yorkshire man like thee can see this. 

most lapsed fans don’t go because there is more things to do in modern society and more football available on tv

Typical scouser, always whinging & coming up with excuses & not solutions! 😉 pity, pity, pity 😭

I've told you before, it's Lancashire Border Protection Force, it means wet wipes like you can sleep safely at night 😂

13 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Exactly! 

It shows it does work, at the right time... & there in lies the problem. The marketing of such offers are rarely planned correctly & proactively planned in advance to work. Unfortunately they are normally planned reactively & incorrectly, so the majority of the time it fails.

As soon as the fixture list come out, they should be looking at the opportunities to encourage supporters to come back or come more often with good enticements. 

Sometimes it just feels like it's a short term reactive late minute decision because crowds are dwindling, which never works due to the obvious reason of dwindling of support 

I think the bigger problem is that it’s so rare that things are going right on the field 🤣

10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Isn’t there a limit on the number of offers a club can do? 

There’s a self-restriction applies so that season tickets aren’t undercut. The league limit was for the ‘local promotion’ farce where you could charge home fans a fiver and away fans £35 for four games a season. Think it’s been scrapped now or at least hugely scaled back. 

Last Championship season the University was knocking out the near mythical £10 'community' tickets...Come Friday afternoon they'd still have a big wedge left.

Only sold out when a team with a sizeable group of supporters who happened to be studying here took their chances...'chances' probably an overstatement - I think everyone was just so stupified by Parky's anti-football to even be arsed by any incursion.

38 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Typical scouser, always whinging & coming up with excuses & not solutions! 😉 pity, pity, pity 😭

I've told you before, it's Lancashire Border Protection Force, it means wet wipes like you can sleep safely at night 😂

😂😂😂

patrolling the moors under the cover of darkness 

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Last 20 years of Burnden might be a stretch as presumably we had a few big ones in the late 70s? Once Normid was built then the capacity was much reduced anyway. Certainly had a few sell outs from the Rioch era though.

The Chesterfield crowd (and Grimsby to a certain extent) was cheap tickets coinciding with the team doing well. It’s been shown on so many occasions that unless you can get the latter right then there’s only a finite number of people wanting to turn up, regardless of the price. 

Yeah 20 years was a round figure, TBH I couldnt quite remember when we left, was it about 98.  Anyone no 20k+ at Burnden since 1981.  Yes capacity reduced from about 86 but the fact remains there was no home attendance of more than 20k even under Rioch apart from the Charlton Championship/Burnden farewell game.  The other sell outs included a few thousand away fans, maybe 17k of us.  So getting 23k v Chesterfield in Div 1 with no away fans was a huge crowd.  As you say because we were in a great run of form at the time, it would have been much less if it had been in one of Parky's losing runs.

5 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Burnden Parks capacity was less than 23k anyway for many years up to leaving for many games we could have sold many more than the 21k or whatever it was

Blackburn had similar year after us in league 1 avg 12/13k and got 27k against oxford on an offer 

That was last game of season, for a promotion party, they were going for the championship that day.  Not really a fair comparison, if we'd charged £5 v Posh of course we'd have sold out.

57 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I see Ryan Lowe has commented for the first time on being linked with our managerial vacancy, he was speaking in a virtual fans forum yesterday afternoon

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-boss-ryan-lowe-4271065

It’s funny how he speaks out only when he knows he hasn’t got the job.