Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, Stevey B said:

FV screwed up here. They didn't pursue other managers because they would cost too much, but were misled by Evatt's agent that he would come cheap. Didn't realise that Barrow interpreted his contract differently and now hes gonna cost more than the likes of Lowe, Wellens etc. But they're too far into the process now to climb down.

Just hope £200k turns out to be money well spent!

Did Barrow play good football last season and what side of the ground do you go

200k compo for a manager and it’s much of a muchness on who you get. 

Exactly the same as buying a player. All of a similar standard. No assurances that any of them are going to work or not. 

the Evatts, Lowe’s & Wellens etc have all been looked at by us all as more positive than the Powell’s & Adkins etc. So there’s no point in splitting hairs between them

i get the point about football league experience but you can counter that and say Evatt played across all levels of English football v’s Lowe. So whose knowledge is greater? Furthermore, considering how many conference sides then get promoted from L2 so soon after promotion in to it & the the tiny number of clubs who come back after relegation from L2, there’s not actually that much difference at all. 

id of taken any of them and will be happy with whichever one of them we get. 

judgement starts when the football does 

Edited by barrycowdrill

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Yes so why on earth would his agent mislead BWFC?

What you don't seem to understand is his agent and Evatt reckon they are still non-league, and Barrow say they are League 2. The difference in wages and bonuses between the two is close to £100k - that's what the dispute is all about. Agent Steve Whiston says buyout clause is £150k, Barrow say it's £250k. 

FV will meet them in the middle or it's likely gonna go to tribunal - which nobody really wants.

6 minutes ago, Stevey B said:

What you don't seem to understand is his agent and Evatt reckon they are still non-league, and Barrow say they are League 2. The difference in wages and bonuses between the two is close to £100k - that's what the dispute is all about. Agent Steve Whiston says buyout clause is £150k, Barrow say it's £250k. 

FV will meet them in the middle or it's likely gonna go to tribunal - which nobody really wants.

I would’ve understood if you’d have explained all that in the first place :)

21 minutes ago, Stevey B said:

Or maybe Evatt gets pissed off at the club holding him for ransom and walks 

3 hours ago, masi 51 said:

We need to go up this season if we are to keep  the likes of Politic and Darcy and grow as a team.....Next season the embargo is lifted and with that expectations will grow. I expect us to get promotion two seasons running and be back in the championship in two years time.

We will only get there if FV are bold and get this appointment right and back him for the following season.

The new manager will have a crop of good young players and the pick of players who are willing to drop to lge 2.

As much as we want to keep them long term, if for arguments sake they leave in a year, we will get a decent fee as they'll still be under contract (I think they run till 2022 but could be wrong).  So if we get lets say half a mil for one or both of them that's a great transfer/salary budget for us.  I'm not half as concerned about losing them in a year than I was about them "doing a Connell" and giving us no benefit at all.  Getting another year out of them and then a good fee is arguably the perfect scenario. 

18 minutes ago, TroySwoosh said:

Or maybe Evatt gets pissed off at the club holding him for ransom and walks 

Again, that would result in legal wranglings that are costly and disruptive. Could even end up costing more

2 hours ago, tomski said:

I expect promotion like I did when we went into L1 with PP this season. Difference being i grant that PP had a squad to walk it. But I still expect this is our best chance to regroup and build with all that’s going on. Can’t judge till the squad is put together but I’d be massively disappointed with anything less than promotion 

That's a big ask with only 3 automatic places.  You've got to expect Tranmere, Southend are going to be strong, then the likes of Bradford and Salford with big budgets, and the 3 that miss out in the play offs all have stronger squads than we can realistically expect to put together in about 2 months.  It doesnt leave much wriggle room to "expect" promotion, when we have no influence over how good the opposition are going to be.  Let's see some stability, no relegation worries, and a style of play we enjoy watching, with some method and structure behind it.

He wouldn't be the first manager to leave a club to "have a break from football / spend more time with his family " & then a few days later, turn up at another club, .......where he might possibly even receive an envelope containing his share of the saved compensation fee.

1 hour ago, Stevey B said:

Thanks for your input, good to know what the delay is

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Which is what I said about 3 days ago 

thanks for coming 

Exactly. The only thing that's changed is everyone's three days more impatient and we're now in a position where we have to do this deal or make an embarrassing climb-down.

5 minutes ago, passmosster said:

Has Evatt ever worked with an Academy? I thought the main aim was to get a manager who could bring young players through?

We won’t have an under 23 squad next season. We are moving away from that idea and into the Brentford moneyball style operation. Hence Tobias Phoenix being pivotal. 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Stevey B said:

Exactly. The only thing that's changed is everyone's three days more impatient and we're now in a position where we have to do this deal or make an embarrassing climb-down.

Why would you be embarrassed if barrow cant do the deal?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Some talk that Evatt assistant Atherton might not come, think that would be a major mistake, good management teams come in pairs and one without the other would really concern me.  

Not necessarily. I haven’t a clue who Liverpool or City’s number 2 is