Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its difficult to pass judgement on Taft and Greenidge yet, we can only assume they are poor based on 2 or 3 games, but Santos and Sarce were given a lot longer to come good.  I've also no problem with Arthur as a back up attacker, I think he's got something to offer.

Fair points on Taft and Greenidge. Can't write them off yet given how Santos turned his form around.

9 hours ago, masi 51 said:

I will give Evatt until the January transfer window to see if at least he can repair the damage. 

and if the “damage” hasn’t been repaired after the January transfer window, what are the sanctions you’ll impose 🤷‍♂️

57 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yep, he wasn’t that bad imo.

Just pushed out by Delaney. Not sure if he could do a lwb job though.

He shouldnt have to, we dont have LWB in the squad yet IE tries to play that way, its dragged us down since day 1.  Left back is another matter, its a different position.  Taft, if fit and available, could surely do a job there, and would strengthen our ability in the air in both boxes.  He's got 150+ league appearances behind him, he's not another "non league" signing.  

12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

He shouldnt have to, we dont have LWB in the squad yet IE tries to play that way, its dragged us down since day 1.  Left back is another matter, its a different position.  Taft, if fit and available, could surely do a job there, and would strengthen our ability in the air in both boxes.  He's got 150+ league appearances behind him, he's not another "non league" signing.  

Trouble is Cambridge dropped him in November 2019 and never played him again. Doesn't really inspire confidence.

This about Phoenix picking the signings. Evatt brought in quite a few of his old Blackpool mates as well as those with Morecambe/ Barrow connections. And his old mate Gilks who brought "careless hands". So i don't think that they are Phoenix signings. That said What has Phoenix actually done well?.

37 minutes ago, passmosster said:

Trouble is Cambridge dropped him in November 2019 and never played him again. Doesn't really inspire confidence.

This about Phoenix picking the signings. Evatt brought in quite a few of his old Blackpool mates as well as those with Morecambe/ Barrow connections. And his old mate Gilks who brought "careless hands". So i don't think that they are Phoenix signings. That said What has Phoenix actually done well?.

After the first 2-3 signings all have either been failed at this level or non league hopeful- that’s why we are shit and the management are to blame

• Site Supporter
On 12/11/2020 at 11:42, masi 51 said:

Happy to Give Evatt the benefit of the doubt, but by god he is set in his ways....Dont really have to say anything on the goalkeeper and how we set up. Recruitment has been a big gamble he or Phoenix got everyone on board by quickly signing Doyle and Sarcevic up early doors. 20 signings followed and i would say Santos,Fonz, Tutte and possibly Jones have been decent, Jury out on Isgrove and Miller but the rest are awful signings.

I will give Evatt until the January transfer window to see if at least he can repair the damage. 

If there were signs of progress, it would be easier to stay behind him.

Like you say, if its still mega shite and we're loitering just above the bottom, then the club may have to make a decision.

Can't see the point in anyone new coming in after the window.

Really want him to succeed, he's young and still learning himself. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, passmosster said:

Got shut of Lee

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter

I always think its a hard one getting the right manager, in my 50 odd years of following us id say we got it right with Ian Greaves, maybe Jimmy Armfield, Todd had us playing some wonderful stuff and obviously the big man.The urinals since Busby have got it right once and he was a whisker from getting potted.The Mickey Mousers got it right regularly when appointing from the famed boot room but struggled for years until Klipetty came along.Very difficult to get right.

50 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Is Chris Wilder a bad manager?

Seen his type a million times before. Brings a team through the divisions with a particular style of play. Does well first season in prem, outspoken, spends a fortune then cant adjust, gets found out and goes down the next.

• Members
12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Seen his type a million times before. Brings a team through the divisions with a particular style of play. Does well first season in prem, outspoken, spends a fortune then cant adjust, gets found out and goes down the next.

Correct mate. Fuck knows how’s he’s still in a job unless the board is happy to go down 

1 point from 10 is appalling 

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

I always think its a hard one getting the right manager, in my 50 odd years of following us id say we got it right with Ian Greaves, maybe Jimmy Armfield, Todd had us playing some wonderful stuff and obviously the big man.

Poor Bruce, forgotten but not gone.

24 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Wilder might keep them up yet but he doesn't look like being another Big Sam.This time in our second season in the PL Sam had brought in Djorkaeff, Okocha and Campo on free transfers while Wilder has paid £17.5 million for Oliver McBurnie.I prefer Sam's transfer activity

£17.5m is absolute buttons these days. Can’t be arsed doing the maths but it’s probably the equivalent of about £2m when Allardyce was managing us. 

13 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

£17.5m is absolute buttons these days. Can’t be arsed doing the maths but it’s probably the equivalent of about £2m when Allardyce was managing us. 

McBurnie is a slow 2nd tier striker.Shrewd managers shouldn't be paying so much for one of that standard even in 2020.As Sam did Wilder should have been looking  abroad for better quality at cheaper prices.