Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, tshape said:

A bloke wrote a letter to the BN the other day https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/18520534.readers-letter-bolton-wanderers-must-appoint-david-lee-manager/

I reckon Tobias has read that and thought, "That's that job done, the public have spoken"

I hope not, we need the best person for the job and the selection process should not include the most popular fans choice.  This is probably the most important managerial appointment in our history.

35 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not for poaching a manager from another club, often doesn’t work out, rather take someone out of work and save the compo. 

14 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I hope not, we need the best person for the job and the selection process should not include the most popular fans choice.  This is probably the most important managerial appointment in our history.

In any other walk of life were any business to restrict itself to recruiting from the out of work only,  it would place itself at a serious competitive disadvantage. Particularly when recruiting at a senior level. To my mind all available talent should be considered even if that comes at a price. 

That price will feel like small change in a couple of seasons if that manager can get the best out of the players and start to turn this club around. 

Its not just about next season , its about building again for the longer term. 

I agree it is arguably the most important managerial appointment in our History. 

Keep in mind as we enter the first full season of the 2020s we are going to be reminded in this decade of that rich history from a century ago ,  with the 100th anniversaries of the 1923 1926 and 1929 cup final victories. 

3 Important milestones , If the club use those anniversaries as benchmarks , and set themselves a challenge - successive promotions on or before each of those anniversaries.  A big ask , but if they can achieve that , and do it in a sustainable way , and build year on year , and recruit with that as a long term plan , we might attract the right calibre of person  now , who buys into that vision and who can lay the foundations for the other managers that will follow. 

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

I totally agree with you mate. I was being sarcastic. Don't know why somebody would go to the trouble of sending a letter like that in the hope of influencing such a monster of a decision. His passion comes across of course but this HAS to be the right man regardless of who certain fans want.

11 minutes ago, tshape said:

I totally agree with you mate. I was being sarcastic. Don't know why somebody would go to the trouble of sending a letter like that in the hope of influencing such a monster of a decision. His passion comes across of course but this HAS to be the right man regardless of who certain fans want.

👍let’s hope FV are of the same opinion, I expect they will be.

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Ryan Lowe will be up there as one of the best people for the job, looking back at what he has done over the last 2 seasons.

Are you his agent? 

I think he’d do a good job.

Him or Ricketts and I’d be happy.

If I had to choose from the people mentioned in the bolton news ,  I would have to go for someone who’s had experience..not a gamble on a novice. Simon Grayson has lots of experience, with some success and left Preston in a great position..and won’t cost a fee.  For someone that we would have to pay a fee for I would go for Ryan Lowe , he’s had immediate success at bury and now Plymouth. 

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

But fair

I think he’s alright me. Only bloke who really covers us now and I think his stuff is decent. Can only work with what he’s got.

I think a lot of the dislike stems from when a lot of people on here thought Ken was ace and he didn’t!

• Members
2 minutes ago, tomski said:

I think he’s alright me. Only bloke who really covers us now and I think his stuff is decent. Can only work with what he’s got.

I think a lot of the dislike stems from when a lot of people on here thought Ken was ace and he didn’t!

You’re right about he can only work with that he’s got but he’s miles behind with any exclusives, and I think any ‘source’ he gets is from Nixon or social media rumours and passes them off on his own. 

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

You’re right about he can only work with that he’s got but he’s miles behind with any exclusives, and I think any ‘source’ he gets is from Nixon or social media rumours and passes them off on his own. 

I think the club have been a bit shit working with the BEN for a long time though. They should be giving him the exclusives as bar Nixon snippets (I like Nixon) no one gives 2 hoots about us currently.

I also think he credits most of his sources. Happy to be proven wrong on this mind?

• Members
3 minutes ago, tomski said:

I think the club have been a bit shit working with the BEN for a long time though. They should be giving him the exclusives as bar Nixon snippets (I like Nixon) no one gives 2 hoots about us currently.

I also think he credits most of his sources. Happy to be proven wrong on this mind?

I think you’re probably right, I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as it is now but it’s not entirely their fault. The budget is probably lower since we left the prem. no one is buying the rag, the website is gash. 
Burnt his bridges very early on with Sweaty, and he seemed to be kept out of the loop. Then he didn’t speak on FV very favourably at times so maybe they put their guard up as well. 

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

There is a group on FB, they have written a letter to the club airing their views on the appointment of the manager, they gave Lee a glowing reference. 

You might think, okay that sounds okay, but then you look at the post/messages and context within that group 🙄

It wasnt so much appointing Lee, which I think does have its merits, it was the suggestion that Bruce Rioch can/should/would come in as DOF that was the controversial one for me.