Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Next Manager Poll  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

Equally, Big Sam says that just because someone played us, doesn't mean that they're a sentimental appointment doomed to fail.

Also, it wasn't like Coyle was just picked at random because he had a catchy chant. He'd done a fantastic at Burnley and was seen as one of the brightest up and coming managers even while managing us. 

Owen, Owen, Owen Coyle, what a ding-dong-do, :lol:!!! 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Smithills gent 

Bolton fans going into BarrowWays to troll them is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard of. How small-time have we now become?

Given the current climate I think it would be fitting to give the job to Phil Brown he would be our first black manager 🖤

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

Equally, Big Sam says that just because someone played us, doesn't mean that they're a sentimental appointment doomed to fail.

Also, it wasn't like Coyle was just picked at random because he had a catchy chant. He'd done a fantastic at Burnley and was seen as one of the brightest up and coming managers even while managing us. 

Proper pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with his success at Burnley. The Burnley fans were apoplectic when he fucked off to us. Oh, how they laugh now. We’re four divisions apart!

26 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Those were the days! 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/643432-owen-coyle-not-arsene-wenger-should-be-arsenal-manager

44 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Proper pulled the wool over everyone’s eyes with his success at Burnley. The Burnley fans were apoplectic when he fucked off to us. Oh, how they laugh now. We’re four divisions apart!

Aye, we then went and did the same to Palace with Freedman.

Really Coyle, Dougie, Lennon and Parkinson were all coups at the time, relative to where we were. Even Hill really considering we were already down.

Maybe those with promising CVs will have caught on to the fact we're career suicide, but I doubt it. Imagine we'll still be able to have our pick of the names mentioned.

15 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He talks a lot of sense but don’t think we need someone without some managerial experience. 

I liked what Karl Henry  had to say in the lov podcast  when he was on about the loosing mentality at the club with the players when he arrived and he got stuck into them . Might be a bit early for him As manager  but a coaching role would be good 

38 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Nigel Clough now 7/2 with Skybet.

If all the names mentioned he’s head and shoulders the stand out candidate.... can I see it, no, but would be one hell of a statement. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If all the names mentioned he’s head and shoulders the stand out candidate.... can I see it, no, but would be one hell of a statement. 

If we got either Clough or Dean Holden, I’d pull myself red raw

Clough was mentioned as a possible on Sunderlands site the other day.  His record generally suggests he'll have better options than us and I dont expect him to rush back into management just yet.

It's not an exact science.  Someone with little or no experience could just as easily make things click, as an experienced coach who's had problems elsewhere.  Please God we get lucky this time

Graham  couglhan did a great job at Bristol rovers brought young players through played  good football  then quit to move back north . 

Edited by Farnywhite
3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

If we got either Clough or Dean Holden, I’d pull myself red raw

Yeah, we need a proven manager who can fully rebuild the squad and a manager that knows the lower league's, Clough ticks all the boxes for me.

Edited by Blondi
2 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Hairy muff mate, I voted for Nigel Clough in the survey, proven track record with various clubs, but would he want to come to a 4th division club. 

Wonder if we should have nabbed the Cowley Brothers whilst they were at Lincoln? 

Although he has a decent track record I find it difficult to warm to Clough's personality.  I wonder what drive and enthusiasm he has to lift a new group of players and a new club, he always seems to be just going through the motions.  One fairly amazing achievement is that he's been to 3 major cup semis, with Div 1 clubs.  Two league cup semis with Sheff U and Burton and FA Cup semi with Sheff U.  

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Although he has a decent track record I find it difficult to warm to Clough's personality.  I wonder what drive and enthusiasm he has to lift a new group of players and a new club, he always seems to be just going through the motions.  One fairly amazing achievement is that he's been to 3 major cup semis, with Div 1 clubs.  Two league cup semis with Sheff U and Burton and FA Cup semi with Sheff U.  

If he’s half as mental as his dad then he’d make Hill look positively normal. 

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Three*

As you were 

Whoever it is, you’d think that we’ve already been in discussions and have a plan. It’s not like this has come out of nowhere after a big loss etc., they’ll have made this decision a while ago and with any luck they’ll already know who they want and what the chances of getting them are.

5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Nolan - First team coach at West Ham, but out of contract at the end of the season. 42% win ratio across 99 games as a manager with two teams in League Two. Had both in and around the playoffs and both went down after he left, so he was probably working with some shite.

Ricketts - Decent spell at Wrexham and comes across well, but I'd not be getting too excited over his 23 wins from 78 at Shrewsbury. Career winning record as a manager is 35% off 102 games. Seems Bolton fans think he's a better manager than Shrewsbury fans do.

Holden - Three wins from 15 in a short spell at Oldham. Now assistant at Bristol City.

Even if none of them had ever played for us, I'm not sure what Holden or Ricketts have that would put them clear above Nolan. If anything, I think being seen as the sentimental option is being held against him. He's a good young coach. The fact that he's a club legend and would have the fans onside at a time we have little else is a bonus.

Of the established options Clough, Powell and Adkins are decent shouts. Don't think we need to be getting too cute by picking random coaches with no experience.

good stats there whats the big love in with Ricketts 

looking at that I would give Nolan a bash

Let’s be fair Bradford are dog shite, big crowds at £100 a time - easy to get 15-20k at that cost.  Doesn’t make you any money though, so little to invest.

lets see what bowyer (if it’s him) can do with a proper club

I fear logic will kick in. Anyone half decent will want more than HillCroft were on. We don't have a pot to piss in, we have ditched the U23s so do you sack the U23 coaches or the first team coaches? The latter, ergo U23 coaches get promoted. David Lee plus his choice of assistant from within the coaching staff.