Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Next Manager Poll  

257 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

I fear logic will kick in. Anyone half decent will want more than HillCroft were on. We don't have a pot to piss in, we have ditched the U23s so do you sack the U23 coaches or the first team coaches? The latter, ergo U23 coaches get promoted. David Lee plus his choice of assistant from within the coaching staff.

Think you’re right plus with lee doing well with the kids he ticks that box plus being cheep and a ex player the owners may think it would be a good move 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Smithills gent 

Bolton fans going into BarrowWays to troll them is one of the most embarrassing things I've ever heard of. How small-time have we now become?

Given the current climate I think it would be fitting to give the job to Phil Brown he would be our first black manager 🖤

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

What happened with him at Bradford he didn’t last long 

Think Bratford was a basket case anyway, but he did sign Chris Taylor and Clayton Donaldson for them which is very worrying.

9 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Think Bratford was a basket case anyway, but he did sign Chris Taylor and Clayton Donaldson for them which is very worrying.

Aye. That alone is enough to put me off Bowyer

• Site Supporter

If we are going down the money ball route or whatever it’s called, I suspect it’s going to be a coach we’ve not heard of. The Rangers kid ticks them boxes and hopefully the compo is having to blood some of their kids

14 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Think it seems obvious now we’re having a first team ‘coach’ and a Director of Football so that rules out half on the list

Mark Iles seemed to indicate that we're likely to be hiring a younger type manager, so probably rules out Clough, Adkins, etc, but I can't see us paying compo to another club for say a Ricketts, Wellens, Evatt younger type guy either.

I really don't get this David Lee love in?? If we were looking at a an U23 manager from another team at our level we would all be apopletic!

So how's he even being considered?? Just coz a couple of kids have come through, it's crazy talk...

3 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I really don't get this David Lee love in?? If we were looking at a an U23 manager from another team at our level we would all be apopletic!

So how's he even being considered?? Just coz a couple of kids have come through, it's crazy talk...

Spot on! Be different if he came in on a caretaker basis, but no way on this earth should he be considered for the main job.

For the life of me I don't see how that works.  If you're the manager how can you have all  your players imposed on you?  Whoever comes in now doesn't have a team, he has to sign one.  He needs to have the enthusiasm of using players he rates.  Its just asking for unnecessary tensions between players and manager, and manager and 'director of football'.

39 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

For the life of me I don't see how that works.  If you're the manager how can you have all  your players imposed on you?  Whoever comes in now doesn't have a team, he has to sign one.  He needs to have the enthusiasm of using players he rates.  Its just asking for unnecessary tensions between players and manager, and manager and 'director of football'.

Largely agree, but I think it's a lot more common in football now than we may realise.  Owners buy players and expect the coach to form them into a coherent unit, often giving them no say in potential purchases

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed, it doesnt work over here. seems to do abroad

I’ve wanted a Big Mick/Warnock type with lots of experience but suspect I’m way off now

Iles has been in the know (surprisingly) in this last 2 days so suspect he will be right with a younger manager

Now expect it to be someone we’ve not heard of....but who has worked for City/United/Liverpool youth team and has contacts with younger kids who we could nurture and then sell on

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I believe it works something like this.

The coach or manager (in discussion with Sporting Director) says something like "We need a speedy left sided midfielder who is capable of putting tackles in". In other words they set a criteria. The Sporting Director looks ta the data that fits that criteria and finds a few players, who they then go and watch etc. The coach the works with those players who have been acquired. It is a more targetted approach. It saves a lot of pointless scouting here, their and everywhere and managers who spend alot of their time on wasted journeys watching players who are nowhere near what they need. It works at Brentford - where they uncovered a lot of quality players.

Never mind the manager we might get, what qualifies Tobias Pheonix to take charge of signings?

Don't think we need to be trying to reinvent the wheel when we're the biggest team and have twice the gate of just about every team in the League.

If Adkins or whoever would take it, we'd be mad to pick some unknown reserve team coach just because of some vague philosophy we're signing up for.

7 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Nixon ( I know) saying it's Gary Bowyer at the front of FV thoughts, hope he's wrong mind.

He isnt

Hes absolutely spot on

To be fair Nixon has been running this story since March. I would normally say I hope he’s wrong but the bar is low these days.

Safe pair of hands who isn’t a basket case managing a team that was & maybe still is a basket case? Seems ok to me 

I won’t even ask for a year, just a few months where there’s no drama will do for me