Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Post Covid business landscape

Spider

Fucking shit - unless the gvt can give us a timetable for live events going ahead. If it’s spring 2021, fine, as we’ll start working in Autumn this year.

Until we have a date or a timetable we can’t do anything. 

Any longer than Summer 2021 and so long, and thanks for all the fish. Even then it’s touch and go. Very nervous times, and no one really knows anything beyond October.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fucking shit - unless the gvt can give us a timetable for live events going ahead. If it’s spring 2021, fine, as we’ll start working in Autumn this year.

Any longer than Summer 2021 and so long, and thanks for all the fish. Even then it’s touch and go. Very nervous times, and no one really knows anything beyond October.

I would be amazed if there's another lockdown.

The NHS coped without the Nightingale hospitals so the Government will treat any spikes/waves as "manageable" and say we have capacity to carry on with very light restrictions.

The pressure to get back to normal far outweighs the noise to stay locked down.

You'll be reet.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

The NHS coped without the Nightingale hospitals so the Government will treat any spikes/waves as "manageable" and say we have capacity to carry on with very light restrictions.

You'll be reet.

Even if the 2m rule is relaxed to 1.5 or 1 then theatres etc are still going to have restricted capacities.

Will still come down to whether or not they can be viable at those levels.

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'd have thought a big thing for you will be relaxing from 2m to 1m (which I reckon will happen in another 2 or 3 weeks). 

At 2m, it's not worth most venues opening up at all

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

You'll be reet.

I bloody hope so, mrs will be ok as it’s a company of only three and as soon as they get the go ahead, they’ve got yours and some west end work.

Just hope I can survive can large company cull - I think you’re right that the desire to get back to normal is strong but AEG have started laying off, and other huge ents companies. We have gaming revenue, a bit from festivals like download that went online but film slated are fucked so no new content there... It’s just the uncertainty, it’s a sickening feeling not having any control. 

Sorry forgot to say thanks - appreciate the reassurance.

Edited by Not in Crawley

27 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

whilst idling the days away on my laptop I've been watching white noise TV- including A Place in the Sun...I know my place arent keen on working from foreign shores, but I reckon plenty will.

would much prefer to do the same job in sunnier climbs

I’m sure many more folk from Northern Europe will be heading to Southern Europe if they are allowed to work remotely, properties cheaper, weather amazing, quality of life so much better, only issue is tax is very high so 6 months is maximum stay if you wish to be taxed in U.K. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m sure many more folk from Northern Europe will be heading to Southern Europe if they are allowed to work remotely, properties cheaper, weather amazing, quality of life so much better, only issue is tax is very high so 6 months is maximum stay if you wish to be taxed in U.K. 

Yes

Why work in the sunny uplands of the UK when you can do it in the shitty EU

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'd have thought a big thing for you will be relaxing from 2m to 1m (which I reckon will happen in another 2 or 3 weeks). 

At 2m, it's not worth most venues opening up at all

Yep, and places aren’t set up for it. No point for any venue. You set your deals (the split) on gross capacity - in theatre its normally 70:30 - the producers (who I would work for) take 70% of the house but that percentage of marketing spend, plus the risk. If you can’t even get to break even with 50% of the house it’s pointless.

For venues, with no product, they’re just empty buildings that cost to keep running when not open.

46 minutes ago, Spider said:

Yes

Why work in the sunny uplands of the UK when you can do it in the shitty EU

Because our sunny uplands are pissing down most days, but more importantly we’re tax efficient. In other words enjoy the sun part time but pay your taxes in the U.K. x

Edited by Mounts Kipper

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

whilst idling the days away on my laptop I've been watching white noise TV- including A Place in the Sun...I know my place arent keen on working from foreign shores, but I reckon plenty will.

would much prefer to do the same job in sunnier climbs

An English friend of mine was originally working in Helsinki for Nokia. Now does exactly the same job in Patong, Thailand. He'd been doing it for about 6 months before he actually told Nokia he was working from Thailand. Luckily they didn't mind.

He's still doing it 3/4 years later. Had to change his working hours from 8am to 4pm, to 12pm start 8pm finish. All face to face meetings done by Zoom/Teams, etc.

3 minutes ago, jeep said:

An English friend of mine was originally working in Helsinki for Nokia. Now does exactly the same job in Patong, Thailand. He'd been doing it for about 6 months before he actually told Nokia he was working from Thailand. Luckily they didn't mind.

He's still doing it 3/4 years later. Had to change his working hours from 8am to 4pm, to 12pm start 8pm finish. All face to face meetings done by Zoom/Teams, etc.

I’d be away to Thailand tomorrow if I could do my job remotely. Without a shadow of a doubt. 

does it mean I don’t love the UK? Nope I just quite like the sun and lifestyle over there and would swap tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, Spider said:

I love my wife

I have to fucking stay with her.

No you don’t. You think you love her. You don’t really. Go and find yourself a jasmine jae. Live the bassini lifestyle 

your kids will understand as well 

4 hours ago, Sweep said:

any of these companies repaying furloughed money should be applauded, no doubt we'll hear/see loads of the larger companies start to do it, as it's good for PR

Yeah, companies suddenly announcing furlough repayments has nothing to do with the Government now deciding to look into furlough claims to see if they were really necessary and they're going to now ask the self-employed to explain why they claimed, when they previously said they wouldn't.

Anyone deemed to have claimed when it wasn't really needed will be taxed on that money at 100%

31 minutes ago, Traf said:

Yeah, companies suddenly announcing furlough repayments has nothing to do with the Government now deciding to look into furlough claims to see if they were really necessary and they're going to now ask the self-employed to explain why they claimed, when they previously said they wouldn't.

Anyone deemed to have claimed when it wasn't really needed will be taxed on that money at 100%

And absolutely correct to do so as I know you will agree 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

You gone back yet 

No, and I'm getting my spidey feelers out. Employers have to start funding furlough in July. Plus some repayment holidays coming to an end. I feel a big bang

I’ve said this elsewhere I think but some sectors with thrive, others will die

Example; investment in EdTech is up 91% since Covid.

We currently have over 3 times the amount of Tech jobs live in U.K. than we had at the lowest point in April. Evenly spread across all regions.

Outside the Tech bubble I agree that there will be some pain; furlough just served to kick the can down the road for many. However, I personally believe that it will be short term(ish) and recover more quickly and steeply than the 2007-2010 banking crisis.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Thought funding starts 1st August 

shite isn’t it 

I think NI is on employers from July 1st, but I might be wrong

Tbh, it depends how healthy the business was pre Covid