Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

English ground furthest from a house?

SatanGreavsie

I know... it sounds like summat Leigh White would ask after a day out on the pensioners clippercard. But it occurred to me just now as - for some reason I forget now what prompted me - I looked at google street view round Charlton's ground to see if the chippy I once spilled a whole pot of curry sauce all down my kecks outside of before one of our games was still there. That got me reminiscing about other chippys and when you looked for ones at Crewe and Grimsby you see how close the nearest houses are to the ground. Some backing right up, even closer than old Burnden. Back in the day you effectively went through a bloody house to get into Filbert St away bit. So no shortage of grounds smack bang next to houses.

But the question would be, which is the most isolated ground? Looking it up we seem to be further away from any houses than, say, Stoke is (which would have been one of my guesses). But who is the actual furthest? Hotels etc don't count. Has to be a private house, so someone who might not give a toss about the club in question.

22 minutes ago, Ands1 said:

You should of told them cockney fukers to put your curry sauce on the chips & not in a pot, no spilled sauce then.

Aye, but I think I spilled some chips down me as well - so the effect would have been the same. I wasn't entirely sober at the time.

8 hours ago, Spider said:

Shrewsbury and Wigan

Big estate across the road from the retail park at Wigan. Probably not far off with Shrewsbury.

Ours isn’t as far since the new houses were built near the training ground, plus I suppose there’s the estate next to the retail park.

I’d have thought Coventry might be up there

9 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Reading and MK Dons are in pretty commercial/industrial areas.

after a quick mooch on google earth of all the ones mentioned thus far, Reading seems to be the winner - 0.6km for many of the far-flung ones like Boro and Derby, but just shy of 1km for Reading.

37 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

after a quick mooch on google earth of all the ones mentioned thus far, Reading seems to be the winner - 0.6km for many of the far-flung ones like Boro and Derby, but just shy of 1km for Reading.

Derby is a weird one. Until the last time we played them, I had no idea it was so close to the city centre. Had always gone in the car prior to that and figured it was in the middle of nowhere.