Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Black Peas.

leigh white

Just been on FB remembering the times when the Fairground used to hawk up in town, a black pea tent was put up with forms to sit down on and a brazier, hot mugs of the delicacy was served up, had them since in Bolton and Bury Market but never came close to the taste what you sampled back in the day.

• Site Supporter

Love them.

There were about three or four black pea tents all in a line whenever the fair came to town.

The one on the end was nicknamed 'Snotty Ack' because the urban myth was that as the owner was stirring the bowl, his nose effluent used to run into the mix. Lovely. 😱

• Site Supporter

Honest to God, when I tell people outside Bolton what we consider to be a delicacy, they look at me like they're worried I might start pulling the wing mirrors off their cars.

Lobby

Black Peas

Parkin

Pasties

Boltonian food has the density of a collapsed star and tastes like soil.

I''m still proud of the town.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
Just now, kent_white said:

I'm still convinced that if you sold black peas as an 'artisan food' at a pop up tent in London you'd make a killing.

They're beautiful.

You'd end up on the front page of The Guardian as some sort of out of touch northern racist

1 minute ago, Spider said:

You'd end up on the front page of The Guardian as some sort of out of touch northern racist

'Artisan, twice boiled, protein rich, edible seeds with fermented sugar - £15 per recyclable paper cup. £1 from every cup is donated to a grass roots sporting team in a poor area of Northern England. Absolve yourself of southern privilege here.'

Summat like that?

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

'Artisan, twice boiled, protein rich, edible seeds with fermented sugar - £15 per recyclable paper cup. £1 from every cup is donated to a grass roots sporting team in a poor area of Northern England. Absolve yourself of southern privilege here.'

Summat like that?

Get yourself on Dragons Den

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Honest to God, when I tell people outside Bolton what we consider to be a delicacy, they look at me like they're worried I might start pulling the wing mirrors off their cars.

Lobby

Black Peas

Parkin

Pasties

Never had black peas but the other three are top tier fodder and you're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

Lobby

Black Peas

Parkin

Pasties

Not dissimilar to peas pudding in the north east.

Nutritious and rank.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not dissimilar to peas pudding in the north east.

Nutritious and rank.

Precisly

These gastronomic bombsites are borne out of utter peasantry. We've evolved beyond it all.

• Site Supporter

"Hello, I'd like a big bag of rock hard, soily flavoured rabbit droppings please. What's that you say? I soak them for a few days in water and sugar then boil the fuck out of them until they turn into a brown, swamp-like porridge? Interesting. Oh, what's that? Then I douse them in malt vinegar and eat them with a plastic spoon? Taste like mashed up corn plasters you reckon?

Fuck it, I'll have 2 bags then"

Edited by Spider

Parkin and Jamaican Ginger Cake - same thing?

I bet Spider was a massive Miami Vice fan as a kid...

Probably thought he'd have torn free of his proletarian roots and be mooching around in a Testarossa wearing espradilles and pastel linen suits by now.

Instead he's still mired with provincial twats who love; black peas, lobby, tripe, steak and cowheel, trotters etc.

The first time I had trotters was at a Colombian's house actually - they're alreet if you can get past the toenail aspect.

Anyhow - embrace your heritage, @Spider. Eating faux Italian is as naff as Phil Collins. Get plenty vinegar on our grub and get it down.

9 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Parkin and Jamaican Ginger Cake - same thing?

The latter has much more of a glaze and generally isn’t as dry as Parkin. My dad eats Parkin with butter and cheese, but he’s of Yorkshire stock so can’t be completely trusted.