Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

Decent Wigan fans wished you lot the best, others did not. Decent Bolton fans have already done this to me face to face. I understand bravado on here it is the same on all clubs forum.

At the time of your troubles I wished you well as it served only the weak of mind to revel in those situations. 

Ask not for who the bell tolls....have a good life. My wife said it's only a game, my first instinct was to head butt her.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Decent Wigan fans wished you lot the best, others did not. Decent Bolton fans have already done this to me face to face. I understand bravado on here it is the same on all clubs forum.

At the time of your troubles I wished you well as it served only the weak of mind to revel in those situations. 

Ask not for who the bell tolls....have a good life. My wife said it's only a game, my first instinct was to head butt her.

Don’t get me wrong - Wigan Athletic are up there on my clubs I love to beat list. Your small supporting, Rugby loving, pie eating town have pretended over the years to think they should be competing at the same level as us (and indeed recently you have and surpassed us) and have become deluded that this recent history makes you bigger than us. You are probably one of those who realises that’s not the case.

All that said, it’s those opinions which create local rivalry and for me make football so entertaining. I love the local games and it’s sad to think we may not play Bury again and I would hope you survive so that we can play you as we swap divisions. Yes get back to your rightful level in the lower divisions, but don’t go bust. All the best 

• Members
1 hour ago, Matt said:

I would totally agree in most cases. This isn’t one though :)

If there is one thing which can be absolutely relied upon it is that Knobcheese will take the contrary position to most just for the fucking sake of it.

Fuck Wigan. They decided to 'hate' us for no particular reason. They revelled in it when we were going through it. Pay back in kind.

Long may they plummet.

7 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

So where’s the line drawn 

it’s on bbc that wigan are exploring the possibility of appealing the points deduction due to covid, loss of revenue etc 

clubs with financial problems can use the covid card if the case 

Without a new owner it doesn’t matter, the administrators are obviously hoping that removal of the points deduction helps them attract a new owner and could help them preserve their championship status, but with their current losses on top of future losses and with crowds not returning any time soon it’s looking like a car crash to me. 

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I've seen a suggestion that the 'new owners' were essentially the same people as the old owners, a loan has been taken out on club assets and the new owners are now nowhere to be seen.

It sounds far fetched, and a little funny too, if I'm honest, if only we had some football finance expert on here who could explain it..

It seems this could be a little bit fraudulent.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I've seen a suggestion that the 'new owners' were essentially the same people as the old owners, a loan has been taken out on club assets and the new owners are now nowhere to be seen.

It sounds far fetched, and a little funny too, if I'm honest, if only we had some football finance expert on here who could explain it..

Just dont say his name 3 times in a row.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

it’s on bbc that wigan are exploring the possibility of appealing the points deduction due to covid, loss of revenue etc 

Anderson fucked people's lives too, and didn't fuck off a few weeks after giving folk a dose.

We couldn't appeal then!

CUNT is a virus personified.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I would totally agree in most cases. This isn’t one though :)

as usual Cheesey is bob on logically, morally and righteously. Football is tribal though and i don't support the Whites for logical, moral or righteous reasons. So i am fuckin loving it and if that makes Cheesey a better person than me i can live with that.

We are in the way back. Wigan on way down. Looking good!!

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Anderson fucked people's lives too, and didn't fuck off a few weeks after giving folk a dose.

We couldn't appeal then!

CUNT is a virus personified.

Agree and bollocks to an appeal

I think some will be thinking of playing the covid card and going into administration though (and not the genuine ones) 

Testing times for the efl hierarchy 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Agree and bollocks to an appeal

I think some will be thinking of playing the covid card and going into administration though (and not the genuine ones) 

Testing times for the efl hierarchy 

They will indeed. A get out of jail free card.

Moreover, clubs doing their utmost to do things correctly and being prudent will rightly be asking, why bother?

5 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Yes but football company isn’t the trading co and nor does it hold the golden share by the looks of it. As such club can go with ground being left. I think 

Likewise though it won't be flogged from under their feet and leave them homeless. I think the EFL will, one way or another, find a way of financing them to complete the season to save their own arses, but - just like we did - they need somebody daft enough to take it on as a going concern, or they'll end up in their mini league with AFC Bury AFC of Bury.

• Site Supporter

If they go bust and a phoenix team springs up down in the bowels of the football pyramid, then they will have returned to their natural state.

We were saved because we have pedigree and huge potential. 

They caught Man City on a bad day, it doesn't make them football royalty.

Byeeee

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

We could also tell the EFL what we’ve always known; Bolton are just ahead of the rest.

13 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

It was a twat of a round. All big newspapers on a Sunday, all the houses miles apart.  I went to our ladys, the Catholic school, left in 84. I've got younger brothers and a sister, lived in Newburgh. In 1996 I was working for Whelan at wrightington Country club. It was an official Euro 96 Hotel. Russian and French squad both stayed there for a while. I took some of the Russian squad round standish when they got knocked out, Dobrovolski was a laugh. The French squad smoked like troopers, not always tobacco.

Think DW used to live up Miry lane and it was on that round

Your a bit older than me then but a lot of my mates are from Parbold, Newburgh & Burscough 

Just now, birch-chorley said:

Think DW used to live up Miry lane and it was on that round

Your a bit older than me then but a lot of my mates are from Parbold, Newburgh & Burscough 

yep, last house at the top of it, we lived on sandy lane, last road on the way out of newburgh towards burscough, before the strawberry farm. You'll probably know one of my brothers or sister - one brother still lives in Parbold, he's in the pubs round there all the time, has been for years, he's a pub dweller,  so if you've been in the stocks, the red lion, the railway or the wayfafer to any extent since your birth you'll probably have seen him falling off his chair.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Likewise though it won't be flogged from under their feet and leave them homeless. I think the EFL will, one way or another, find a way of financing them to complete the season to save their own arses, but - just like we did - they need somebody daft enough to take it on as a going concern, or they'll end up in their mini league with AFC Bury AFC of Bury.

I agree won’t be sold rim under them. But if there is no club then what would the be stopping them. The asset is incredibly valuable. The football creditors etc are in the football club. Liquidate they go away. Parent co is left smiling. These sort of tactics are commonplace in every business sector. Not unique to football. Just football is more emotive.

I’ve not looked again this morning as been too busy but will do some looking later see how it lies. 

but one thing for sure the owners would be quids in 

• Members

What’s attractive about Wigan to plough money into them?

They’re the number two sports club in the town

Attendances aren’t great

Money isn’t great in the championship 

Are there investment opportunities around the stadium?

All in the middle of a pandemic a pandemic. 

Not great times ahead for them 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

yep, last house at the top of it, we lived on sandy lane, last road on the way out of newburgh towards burscough, before the strawberry farm. You'll probably know one of my brothers or sister - one brother still lives in Parbold, he's in the pubs round there all the time, has been for years, he's a pub dweller,  so if you've been in the stocks, the red lion, the railway or the wayfafer to any extent since your birth you'll probably have seen him falling off his chair.

I used to go & pick up cabbages from that farm when I worked on Bolton market.

Two brothers, David & Peter Clayton, they had hands like dustbin lids.

Then they started the PYO strawberries & never looked back.