Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

43 minutes ago, tomski said:

Yep Wigan is a hotbed for BWFC fans. Loads more Bolton than Wigan here. They’ll come flocking back

That's not strictly true...there are Bowton fans ofcourse but mostly older generation ( rugby fans )who formed this allegiance before Wigan had a league side. Younger ones usually watch Wigan although sometimes as a 2nd team to United or Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Popeye doyle said:

I'm thinking long term but if Wigan crash and burn then then both our nearest rivals will have gone. Eventually those town fans in a generation 10-20 years will support their local team, Bolton Wanderers. 

I doubt we would pick up many who live in Wigan, the likes of Atherton, Leigh etc maybe 

Bury is a bit different but then again even if we gained all Bury season ticket holders overnight (Which isn’t happening) they wouldn’t fill the South Upper 

Besides, I’d imagine most of those will follow Liverpool, United, City etc before they decided to follow us in the lower leagues 

They can all fuck off as far as I’m concerned. Go and watch the dog and duck instead 

wouldn’t want any of them anywhere near our place. 

“yeh I used to have a ST at the DW / Gigg until we went under so started supporting Bolton instead” I know how the rest of that conversation would go.. 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I doubt we would pick up many who live in Wigan, the likes of Atherton, Leigh etc maybe 

I think you’re confused into thinking there’s a difference. 🤣

26 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Bury is a bit different but then again even if we gained all Bury season ticket holders overnight (Which isn’t happening) they wouldn’t fill the South Upper 

Besides, I’d imagine most of those will follow Liverpool, United, City etc before they decided to follow us in the lower leagues 

Very few Latics fans in these parts. And long may it continue. I always took great pride that newsagents always had BEN signs outside rather than Wigan Evening Post. 

17 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Very few Latics fans in these parts. And long may it continue. I always took great pride that newsagents always had BEN signs outside rather than Wigan Evening Post. 

I think i only know Rob who's a Wigan fan in Leigh.😄

When i first started work at the end of the 70s think Wigan had just gotten in the league then, we were top flight .

Anyway loads of lads that worked with us were from Wigan and all supported BWFC.

4-5 years later as we declined they mainly slipped away but as we all know deep down

Once in, never out.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Not as many here as you would think. As many Manure and laterly Liverpool/City as Bolton in Atherton. 

Leigh is a reugby town so hatred of wigan is born.

4 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Serious question,  as well as their love of pies, is there a reason Wiganer's are known as pie eaters

Yes it comes from the general strike in 1926, I think. The Wigan workers were amongst the first to break the strike and return to work. They were said to be eating humble pie, hence, pie eaters.

6 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Serious question,  as well as their love of pies, is there a reason Wiganer's are known as pie eaters

"Why is he called Boris The Bullet Dodger?"

"Because he... dodges... bullets, Avi."

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Yes it comes from the general strike in 1926, I think. The Wigan workers were amongst the first to break the strike and return to work. They were said to be eating humble pie, hence, pie eaters.

So they've always been c*nts then?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Sat at Wigan in our end but next to where where some of the pie eaters good congregate giving it large a young lad sat next to me and was going mentle at them, I was pissing my sides at him and asked why he was so worked up, he explained he was from Leigh and his grandad was a pit mon and fucking hated Wiganers because of the strike breakers. 

2 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

This is 100% the real reason they are known as pie eaters, but Wiganers have tried to deflect from the true meaning, by claiming it's their love of eating pies that folk (from Bolton + Leigh especially) call them pie eaters, they've even had stickers made up saying "No pies left in this van overnight" etc

Oh and Galloways pies are shit.

3 hours ago, leigh white said:

Middlebrook is a lot closer to Wigan than some East Bolton suburbs.

True, i live in Wigan and the Middlebrook is closer to my house than the DW by more than 2 miles.

I only have 4 neighbours in my street and 3 of us are Bolton fans.