Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

38 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

has this been posted yet?

in any case, how fucking much do those in the Phillipines have on / stand to win if Wigan go down!?

Quite a few unsubstantiated leaps there

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Serious question,  as well as their love of pies, is there a reason Wiganer's are known as pie eaters

4 hours ago, Farrelli said:

Yes it comes from the general strike in 1926, I think. The Wigan workers were amongst the first to break the strike and return to work. They were said to be eating humble pie, hence, pie eaters.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

This is 100% the real reason they are known as pie eaters, but Wiganers have tried to deflect from the true meaning, by claiming it's their love of eating pies that folk (from Bolton + Leigh especially) call them pie eaters, they've even had stickers made up saying "No pies left in this van overnight" etc

Oh and Galloways pies are shit.

I heard a slightly different tale. The bit about Wigan miners being amongst the first to break the strike remains the same but when I was told, the “pie” element was because, once the Wigan miners went back, and were then drawing wages, they were able to put a pastry case around their lobby rather than just have it out of the pan.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

True, i live in Wigan and the Middlebrook is closer to my house than the DW by more than 2 miles.

I only have 4 neighbours in my street and 3 of us are Bolton fans.

There's loads, I grew up in West Lancashire, nearer Wigan than Bolton, BWFC fans lived next door,  no Wigan fans whatsoever went to my primary school, mainly liverpool and everton, some bolton, some PNE.

A lot of the lads that I know who now watch Wigan used to support other clubs when they were young - and a lot of my kids friends who go and watch wigan now actually support Man U, City, Liverpool etc.

If you go and watch the academy its scouser central

Think it's probably because they were non league until 1978.

Edited by peelyfeet

19 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

There's loads, I grew up in West Lancashire, nearer Wigan than Bolton, BWFC fans lived next door,  no Wigan fans whatsoever went to my primary school, mainly liverpool and everton, some bolton, some PNE.

A lot of the lads that I know who now watch Wigan used to support other clubs when they were young - and a lot of my kids friends who go and watch wigan now actually support Man U, City, Liverpool etc.

The scouse overspill of Skem is only 7 miles from Wigan.

Just now, leigh white said:

The scouse overspill of Skem is only 7 miles from Wigan.

That's were my dad grew up - was a lancashire mining town until the 1960s - my dad speaks with a broad lancashire accent,. we moved out the year I was born, thank god.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Can’t see it myself. 

58 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Quite a few unsubstantiated leaps there

Aye, it would seem something dodgy might be going on, but I'd be amazed if it was all just someone can win a bet

Unless the cash out offer was wank

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

They’ve been waiting to fuck that senile owd twat over since he called em chingalings. 

every credit to them 

The long game

I like it

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

How come you ended up BWFC? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wigan itself is enough of a Scouse overspill. Fucking loads of them on Worsley Hall and Marsh Green. 

I was once bollocked at work  because during a conversation at Wigan fire Station, a scouser pointed out that Bolton was full of (his words) Pakis. It was then pointed out that Wigan was full of scousers (like that was a better option)

I just looked up and said maybe Bolton were given first pick.

The bollocking came from another scouser on the watch who happened to be the gaffer.

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

How come you ended up BWFC? 

Well, my dad supports skem United so there was no way I was following him. Next door neighbours dad was bwfc, as were his two sons, they basically made me support. Took me to matches when I was young and impressionable, that was it. 

2 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Well, my dad supports skem United so there was no way I was following him. Next door neighbours dad was bwfc, as were his two sons, they basically made me support. Took me to matches when I was young and impressionable, that was it. 

The neighbours did good job. 👍

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is just too good to be true. 

Honest. Scouser number one was a guy called Jimmy Flynn. Liverpool fan through and through and a proper in your face “Ey! Ey! type scouser. 

16 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

16 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Deluded pricks they might actually avoid the points deduction because of it. Er no. Call in the admins and it’s automatic. Simples

yeah "we've been even more bent than just running out of money, so you have to let us off" WTF kinda reasoning is that ?

i still think wimbledon shouldve been auto relegated ; inplace of sheffutd or everton; when hans segers were swapping briefcases on park benches in '94 .. the bent bastard. but folk where supposed to care when the norwegians moved them to cowtown ? lolgetfucked.. 

Edited by e2e4
typos

On 02/07/2020 at 00:45, Cheese said:

As Bolton fans - if we've learned any lessons over the last few years, one of the big ones should be "Don't rejoice in the misfortune of others, because you never know what's round the corner". Particularly when peoples' livelihoods are at stake. Little more than a year ago, PNE were sending OUR staff food vouchers because they weren't being paid by their own club. OUR club. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss, regardless of rivalries. If things don't go to plan we could easily be in the same situation again.

And if some Wigan fans revelled in our demise at the time, so what? - be the bigger man. Have some class.

Bollox to that. 9 months ago was the darkest place I have been outside of family and friends. It was grim. I think I'm a reasonable man. I know there are reasonable and genuine pie eating fans out there. They even wished us well when things looked terminal for us. But the wankers, and there was a bloody lot of them, who couldn't wait to dance on our grave has overwhelmed my compassion for the good half of wigan. I hope they disappear off the face of the football map never to be seen again.

All is fair in love and football.

Fuck off!

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Bollox to that. 9 months ago was the darkest place I have been outside of family and friends. It was grim. I think I'm a reasonable man. I know there are reasonable and genuine pie eating fans out there. They even wished us well when things looked terminal for us. But the wankers, and there was a bloody lot of them, who couldn't wait to dance on our grave has overwhelmed my compassion for the good half of wigan. I hope they disappear of the face of the football map never to be seen again.

All is fair in love and football.

Fuck off!

You rightly call them wankers, and you obviously thought their behaviour was obnoxious - yet you're making a conscious decision to behave exactly as they did. Doesn't make sense to me, but each to their own.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

You rightly call them wankers, and you obviously thought their behaviour was obnoxious - yet you're making a conscious decision to behave exactly as they did. Doesn't make sense to me, but each to their own.

Makes perfect sense to me.