Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

5 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Nixon saying they now HAVE to sell the chippy, as they have run out of money, get that bog flushed.

Nobody  wants the chippy. It shut down about 5 years ago  and has been available to rent with no takers. Why they think they can sell it in the current climate for half a million is mind boggling. 

5 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Nixon saying they now HAVE to sell the chippy, as they have run out of money, get that bog flushed.

Ultimately they have to sell all the assets 

think what Nixon is at the moment having a bit of fun with the admins over is how they benefit from its sale 

His story stemmed from someone sending him particulars of the chippy for sale 

Imageand more importantly 

The fact that Eddisons Estate agents are owned by the admins - so potentially if they get a sale they are milking them for even more money 

9 hours ago, Andy Gee said:

Nobody  wants the chippy. It shut down about 5 years ago  and has been available to rent with no takers. Why they think they can sell it in the current climate for half a million is mind boggling. 

Could the land the chippy is on be worth more than the chippy itself? Any way how long does another 500k keep the club alive for? 2-3 weeks I’d think, might as well let the corpse quietly die, in fact I think Krasner has already given up and just wants his fees. Liquidation odds 1/3. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Nobody in their right mind bought a Season Ticket expecting to attend a match in the near future.

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

I certainly didn’t and my purchase was on this occasion about supporting the club. 

I’d say a little from both to be honest. At the time that season tickets went on sale, all of the noises were about fans being in from October and everything looked rosy in the garden. There can’t have been many who were thinking it would be as far as February/March at best. That said, I’d have probably still bought one as a means of supporting the club, though admittedly whether we’d have bought all three of ours is maybe another question.

Given the pressure now being applied on the Government and any number of successful test events, I’m still hopeful it will be sooner than the doomsday predictions, so long as hospital admissions don’t increase by a huge percentage. 

Up to the government to step in for me, at a lower level anyway (League 1 and beyond) 

If you tell a business that it can’t operate / generate income then you need to give some form of support during that period. The push back would be, why should the government fund footballers who are earning thousands a week (in many cases) 

All a bit of a mess really 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Up to the government to step in for me, at a lower level anyway (League 1 and beyond) 

If you tell a business that it can’t operate / generate income then you need to give some form of support during that period. The push back would be, why should the government fund footballers who are earning thousands a week (in many cases) 

We'll see if Rishi has sorted anything later. He's making a statement at 12.30.

This one may just be for certain sectors though, so will have to see.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We'll see if Rishi has sorted anything later. He's making a statement at 12.30.

This one may just be for certain sectors though, so will have to see.

Think today’s announcement is going to be more around helping fund part of a wage, with the employer keeping them on part time, similar to the German scheme.

Not sure how that would work with lower league footballers though as they are working full time. Even the Furlough scheme wouldn’t work for sport as you need players to work full time in order to fulfil fixtures, but you can’t pay them if the gates are shut 

Not sure how you fulfil a season behind closed doors without government funding 

Edited by birch-chorley

18 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

When Spurs sign Bale and pay him a gazillion pounds a week it is hard not to argue that football needs to put its own house in order. 

16 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think teams in lge 1/2 have a greater chance of survival. All be it with a need of financial aid.

Lets be brutally honest they handed contracts out this summer knowing if fans were not allowed back they basically would be in the shit.

Its teams  in the championship that have no parachute money and who are paying way over what they bring in....your Readings, Lutons and Barnsleys. They will have a £10m plus wage bill with nothing coming in.

Just now, Ani said:

When Spurs sign Bale and pay him a gazillion pounds a week it is hard not to argue that football needs to put its own house in order. 

I guess the PL teams would say they are already £1bn down because of Covid and are losing a further £100m a month with the gates shut. Why should they put money forward for teams like Bolton so we can pay Doyle £5k a week in League 2? It’s relative to Spurs spending on Bale (vs income) 

I do think TV money from the top should be shared more evenly, a start would be to scrap parachute payments in favour of spreading that money better around the Football League. 

I don’t think the PL should have to step in to cover lost revenue from lower league teams having to shut the doors though. That’s up to the government really, I’d prefer to see them just open the doors in October as planned (with restrictions) 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Good point, and how long will TV companies keep throwing money in with no fans and no live atmosphere in the stadiums.

EPL clubs will survive due to TV revenue.

Championship clubs spending big to reach the promised land need to re-think.

EFL L1 & L2 clubs > Survival of the fittest, that may include some Championship clubs.

Is the current situation not working in the favour of those providing football screenings? More people buying games they’re unable to see in person?

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Cheese said:

Nobody in their right mind bought a Season Ticket expecting to attend a match in the near future.

This, personally, im happy to pay and not see a live game if it means I have a club to see live at some point in the future

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Could the land the chippy is on be worth more than the chippy itself? Any way how long does another 500k keep the club alive for? 2-3 weeks I’d think, might as well let the corpse quietly die, in fact I think Krasner has already given up and just wants his fees. Liquidation odds 1/3. 

Well as all the fixtures and fittings have been removed it's not even a chippy atm it's just an empty building. You could probably buy olympus fully furnished for 500 grand so where the fuck they get that valuation from ive no idea..