Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

4 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Bolton v Everton new year day 1979. The day George wood broke Peter Reids leg.

We played in red at home. Snowed all night and all morning....Abandoned at half time.

Snowball fights all down Manchester Road with the Scousers

To be fair, it wasn't all that cold that afternoon, just the amount of snow what got dropped in one go.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

v Spurs in a FA Cup replay Jan. 1978. It went to extra time and I was so cold I thought my feet would fall off. Won with a Gary Jones goal very late on.

31,000 on on a Tuesday night.

Don't recall ever being so cold.

Ritson free kick, I think?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Traf said:

Boxing Day 2001, 3-0 defeat to Robbie Fowler, bitterly cold.

Still remember now i hadn't seen a centre back pairing as good as Woodgate and Ferdinand before, nothing was getting past them that day

Edited by ZicoKelly

9 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Trust me, it was cold

Leeds at during Christmas 95 was also freezing, whole Burndrn Terrace did a half time bounce along to Jonah Louie  to keep warm

I think thats the game where Thomas Brolin ruined us. Up till lunchtime on the day of the match i’d been lay round a pool in Lanzarote enjoying 25deg, flew home in the afternoon & got to Burnden in time to “enjoy”  minus 7 deg and a 0-2 defeat..... beltin’

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I think thats the game where Thomas Brolin ruined us. Up till lunchtime on the day of the match i’d been lay round a pool in Lanzarote enjoying 25deg, flew home in the afternoon & got to Burnden in time to “enjoy”  minus 7 deg and a 0-2 defeat..... beltin’

Aye, that's the one, was on sky too, should've stayed in Lanzarote

50 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh I remember Brolin wore gloves that night - and he was born in a snowy part of Sweden, which told you summat about how cold it was

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Nothing compares to the one over Christmas at Roker park on that open end, nearly died that day. 😂

I drove up to that game with girlfriend (now wife) and we took a colleague’s daughter. She cried all game she was that cold. I even gave her my jumper. 
We got to around Leeds before she thawed out.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Trust me, it was cold

Leeds at during Christmas 95 was also freezing, whole Burndrn Terrace did a half time bounce along to Jonah Louie  to keep warm

Couple of weeks earlier had to endure a 0-0 extra time cup match v Norwich only to lose both on penalties and the feeling in my legs

Still can’t feel my toes after that.

I considered taking up smoking that night just to see if it would add any sort of warmth.

As an aside, one of many things I miss about Burnden is the sight of a thousand fags being sparked up along the paddock just after the ref would start the game.

Looked like hundreds of little steam trains had set off

13 hours ago, leigh white said:

A cold night at Burnden V Tranmere in a FA cup replay in 83, got back to the pub and stood in front of the fire for 20 mins before I thawed out and went the bar and ordered a pint.

You've really brought back a memory there.  It was absolutely freezing, I was in Lever End, great lobbed goal from Chandler, went to extra time and we then won 4-1.  That cup tie was the first time we'd ever played Tranmere in my time, I didnt envy their fans stood on the open embankment.  Coincidentally one of the coldest games at the Reebok was also v Tranmere, another cup replay, again went to E-T.  Me and a mate still "reminisce" about that game as the coldest, probably because of how late it finished, cant even remember if we won, only remember the cold. 

• Members
13 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Trust me, it was cold

Couple of weeks earlier had to endure a 0-0 extra time cup match v Norwich only to lose both on penalties and the feeling in my legs

I was shivering an hour after getting home, me Mam was going loopy saying my grandad had given me pneumonia 

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

... cant even remember if we won, only remember the cold. 

We didn't. They had ONE decent player, called Hulme. Scored 2. He ended up at Bury if I recall correctly.

It was one of the very rare times my, not especially interested in football, kids came with me.

It did nothing to alter that