Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

3 hours ago, leigh white said:

I went the Widnes v Wigan semi at BP, loads of Everton giving it on the Lever to Bolton in the streets below. Some mad days at RL in those days.

They were mad indeed. Lots of football lads tagging on to games for a bit of fun due to being able to have a pint on the terraces and a lot less coppers

5 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

They were mad indeed. Lots of football lads tagging on to games for a bit of fun due to being able to have a pint on the terraces and a lot less coppers

Leigh v St Helens was mayhem on the terraces at Central Park in Wigan 87, i thought Bolton away games at the time was bad, never seen a bar so trashed as that one at H/T, the suspended ceiling caved in with the amount of pint pots and bar stools being flung at one another.

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

Went that game coppers on all roads into Wigan stoping cars checking if you had match tickets 

After the fun and games in Wigan the previous day, it went off with no mither, four of us went with tickets to see the game, those Sunday games were few and far between.

• Members
1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Looks like Wigans suffering has only just begun. The vast majority of Wigan fans enjoyed our suffering - now it’s our time to enjoy theirs 🤣  Sweet.

A re-emergence of a beltin' word from the WWays lexicon. Schadenfreude.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

FFS! Before and up to Parky leaving last season the last thing on my mind was the Manager. I just wanted my club to survive.

Yea well, the thick fucker doesn't realise yet what's about to happen.

He soon will do though. 😁

They really are thick as fuck. one mon suggested Bowyer for new manager mentioning he was out of work had experience of working with skint teams and could fit bill. His mate said what about his off field antics. No thats Lee you thick pie eater and a manager is least if your worries.  Roll on Friday and start of transfer window. Exodus 

I was reminded of an email I sent a year ago this week when a Liverpool fan I have dealings with said "are you looking forward to the start of the season" in all innocence.  I replied along the lines of we've only got 5 players, of which 3 have put their notice in and the PFA have lent us £200k so that we can be given permission to play our first game at Wycombe, if we can raise a team.  

Things have come a long way for us and now its someone else's turn.  We should raise a glass to FV this weekend or whenever an appropriate anniversary is, it shouldnt be forgotten and what they've done for us taken for granted.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

* dont quote me on £200k I've no idea what the actual detail was, just know someone baled us out to get through to the first game.

I seem to recall that FV put some money in before they actually were able to buy the club, I could be wrong on that but if I'm correct would it have been to ensure the first game could go ahead?

I can't remember which match FV paid out for  either, I just know for sure it wasn't Doncaster.

The Wigan manager leaving is great news, hopefully the takeover drags on long enough for them to be fielding a youth team managed by their equivalent of Jimmy Phillips at the start of the season.

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was reminded of an email I sent a year ago this week when a Liverpool fan I have dealings with said "are you looking forward to the start of the season" in all innocence.  I replied along the lines of we've only got 5 players, of which 3 have put their notice in and the PFA have lent us £200k so that we can be given permission to play our first game at Wycombe, if we can raise a team.  

Things have come a long way for us and now its someone else's turn.  We should raise a glass to FV this weekend or whenever an appropriate anniversary is, it shouldnt be forgotten and what they've done for us taken for granted.

It's remarkable that they stuck around to get the deal done considering everything they were up against.