Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

I really fear for Wigan, I’m trying to understand why anybody would want to buy a loss making enterprise with a small fan base, threadbare team and a further reduced capacity from the virus. The takeover also has to be completed in the next four or five weeks because after the outcry over us, there is no way the EFL will allow them to start the season unless ownership and finances are confirmed. It could be Bury Mk2?

39 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

I've only listened a minute either side of 31mins 17 secs. You're right he's far from convincing, he could have said absolutely I'm very confident new owners will buy into this club etc etc. 

I listened to a quite a bit, the interviewer favours Nero fiddling while Wigan burns, penny ain’t dropped that it’s unlikely a buyer will be found to save them or at least one that’ll stop them hurtling back where they belong. 

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

I really fear for Wigan, I’m trying to understand why anybody would want to buy a loss making enterprise with a small fan base, threadbare team and a further reduced capacity from the virus. The takeover also has to be completed in the next four or five weeks because after the outcry over us, there is no way the EFL will allow them to start the season unless ownership and finances are confirmed. It could be Bury Mk2?

Depends if Admin will agree to fund the season, happened before, though will depend on player sales and I guess people being allowed to attend games.

Two issues here 

1. EFL are not going to allow them to play all season in admin   If a concrete deal is on table the they may let them start but I’m not sure after the uproar about ourselves  

2. begbies ain’t funding the club for a season. Not a hope in hell. It just isn’t going to happen

if they don’t have a buyer lined up in next 14 days then talk will turn quickly to liquidation. 

11 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Early days yet, but if clubs start going pop or getting into financial difficulty becauseof this pandemic, they will be expected to do something to protect them. 

Looking at it, our Administration may have come at a good time... may 😏

You have a point on the protection if those clubs have done everything they can in the close season. But if a club has gone out and signed players this summer knowing about the pandemic then they have no case IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Agreed, its going to be interesting to see how many championships clubs make big signings. Someone stated further up that if you avoid administration, you are likely to stay up.

Now Leeds have gone there isn't much glamour in that league. Sheff Weds, Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Norwich, Stoke, M'Boro are probably the biggest clubs

1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Now Leeds have gone there isn't much glamour in that league. Sheff Weds, Forest, Derby, Birmingham, Norwich, Stoke, M'Boro are probably the biggest clubs

Sheff Wednesday bigger club than Leeds. Don’t really get the glamour in leeds, stadiums shit, the team also been shit for most of last 40 years in fact only the revie era was decent sustained period in their whole history.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sheff Wednesday bigger club than Leeds. Don’t really get the glamour in leeds, stadiums shit, the team also been shit for most of last 40 years in fact only the revie era was decent sustained period in their whole history.

Depending on what we base our findings as "Big Club", if you go off the history the biggest clubs in the championship are the likes of Preston and Blackburn.

9 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Agreed, Leeds aren't a glamour club, decent size club, but it brings back the one club city debate, they have a massive catchment area as well, and they are one of the most expensive clubs to support in the country, they will also have the worst stadium in the EPL next season.

When they were struggling few seasons back couldn’t get 20k through the gate despite being a big city and only 1 football club with a big catchment area. Sheffield with 1 club would pull 60k plus. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

So if we go of town/city size, population and other clubs in the catchment area, who would we say get really decent crowds?

Norwich do for a small city even though there is not much other competition in that area.

Burnley, at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Burnley, at the moment. 

Yeah I'll give you that.

Here are the factors to consider.

Size of place

Population

Other local facilities (races, tourism , good night life, studenty etc)

On pitch performance/league status.

Geographical location.

Historical success.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Yeah I'll give you that.

Size of place

Population

Geographical location.

Historical success.

Do you reckon the number of fingers has an effect?

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They're about the same on crowds but I go with Leeds for glamour. Eddie Gray, Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter, Jackie Charlton, Gary Speed, Eric Cantona Gary Strachan - Sheff Weds don't really have the amount of A listers

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do you reckon the number of fingers has an effect?

:lol:, donkeys years ago in a thread about Burnley i'd  suggested that when travelling to Burnley its not a good idea to be giving it the big one to a load of their lads outside a pub whilst driving past and then getting stuck in traffic about 100 yards further away.

This started a big thread about Burnley, somebody said "when travelling to Burnley dip your slippers in bread crumbs and tell the locals you are wearing findus crispy pancakes on your feet" then step back and admire the confused looks on their faces.

I titter at that every time i think of Burnley 😁😁

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

When they were struggling few seasons back couldn’t get 20k through the gate despite being a big city and only 1 football club with a big catchment area. Sheffield with 1 club would pull 60k plus. 

There was some sort of boycott going on at the time, Ken Bates was chairman and he was charging about £35 a ticket. Others will know more about that than I do.

4 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Yeah I'll give you that.

Size of place

Population

Geographical location.

Historical success.

I’d put no 1 or 2 as ‘number and size of clubs within easy reach’. Sunderland, Burnley, Norwich massively have that in their favour. And have they had a new ground in modern times, crowds increase and rarely go back to previous levels.