Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

bit like us and ken , "wowee , its a bit too rich for my blood.." then scrambling around for money just to keep it ticking along.. 

kenneth lasted longer than 3 and a half weeks though...

Since hearing this news I've given this some serious thought. Do I laugh and take the piss? Or, given what we all went through, and it was no fun, have some empathy for the decent Wiganer who is now going to go though them dark days that I went through. Well, after considering everything I'm finding very difficult not to jump in my car and go to Wigan, drop my trolleys, in front of Whelans statue, and wave my wanger around while singing Walking Down The Manny Rd.

Balls to 'em.

Edited by Underpants

Reading about this in more detail. Correct me if I’m wrong but they don’t own the ground?

i think these boys are fucked. Like bury fucked. Admittedly they don’t have crippling debts I don’t think or winders Coming out their ears but they are losing near to 10m a year pre covid. Tack on another few quid cos of that. No assets to sell other than players. Players are not worth what they were  

they could go to the wall. I cannot see whelan burning money on this. Same as EDT stopped.  They could be gone  

nobody is buying them currently other than whelan. And admins are saying if no funding immediately forthcoming then liquidation. 
they are where we were after two months in a few hours. 

going to go all custard tomorrow and spend some time on companies house see what I can figure out.  

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Reading about this in more detail. Correct me if I’m wrong but they don’t own the ground?

i think these boys are fucked. Like bury fucked. Admittedly they don’t have crippling debts I don’t think or winders Coming out their ears but they are losing near to 10m a year pre covid. Tack on another few quid cos of that. No assets to sell other than players. Players are not worth what they were  

they could go to the wall. I cannot see whelan burning money on this. Same as EDT stopped.  They could be gone  

nobody is buying them currently other than whelan. And admins are saying if no funding immediately forthcoming then liquidation. 

going to go all custard tomorrow and spend some time on companies house see what I can figure out.  

I think you could well be right, be very surprised if they don’t go pop. What’s Whelan worth these days? Can’t see even him subsidising the reported 9 million yearly losses, in fact I reckon losses might be much much more now. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Make sure you report back with good news, LIQUIDATION, GONE BUST, GONE POP, FINISHED, FUCKED!

Will be my pleasure to report such things. Bury I didn’t like and not fussed they went really but if they had survived so be it . Wigan I will be delighted if they go. Aside from the general staff 

8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

They own the ground (or 85% at least) but Euxton is owned by a company of Whelan’s. Can’t remember whether they own Christopher Park (their other training ground) or whether that belongs to the council. 

Don’t think they’re too different to any number of clubs (including ourselves) who simply don’t bring in enough money to have a competitive Championship team while making up for the loss of TV money when coming down from the Premier League. 

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They own the ground (or 85% at least) but Euxton is owned by a company of Whelan’s. Can’t remember whether they own Christopher Park (their other training ground) or whether that belongs to the council. 

Don’t think they’re too different to any number of clubs (including ourselves) who simply don’t bring in enough money to have a competitive Championship team while making up for the loss of TV money when coming down from the Premier League. 

The trading club doesn’t own the ground. Possibly held somewhere else but trading football club definitely doesn’t

held within parent company.  So it’s of no value to the club. Unless the whole group are going into admin. Which it doesn’t appear to be. As such owner could let it go pop and then sell the land/stadium. Admins would have no claim on the stadium I don’t think. Anyway bed time for this geek 

Edited by Escobarp

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

The trading club doesn’t own the ground. Possibly held somewhere else but trading football club definitely doesn’t

held within parent company.  So it’s of no value to the club. Unless the whole group are going into admin. Which it doesn’t appear to be. As such owner could let it go pop and then sell the land/stadium. Admins would have no claim on the stadium I don’t think. Anyway bed time for this geek 

Owned by Wigan Football Company Ltd of which 85% is owned by the club and 15% by the council. There’s a covenant on the land as well. 

• Site Supporter

As Bolton fans - if we've learned any lessons over the last few years, one of the big ones should be "Don't rejoice in the misfortune of others, because you never know what's round the corner". Particularly when peoples' livelihoods are at stake. Little more than a year ago, PNE were sending OUR staff food vouchers because they weren't being paid by their own club. OUR club. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss, regardless of rivalries. If things don't go to plan we could easily be in the same situation again.

And if some Wigan fans revelled in our demise at the time, so what? - be the bigger man. Have some class.

Edited by Cheese

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Owned by Wigan Football Company Ltd of which 85% is owned by the club and 15% by the council. There’s a covenant on the land as well. 

Yes but football company isn’t the trading co and nor does it hold the golden share by the looks of it. As such club can go with ground being left. I think 

• Site Supporter

Wigan won’t go bust, got too many decent players they can sell for that to happen.

They will have to sell them very cheaply though, they won’t be able to replace them and their kids are likely to take a few wallopings.

Billy Bigbollocks are about to go hiding back in their slums and only be seen supporting their rugby club again very soon

• Members
22 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Wigan won’t go bust, got too many decent players they can sell for that to happen.

They will have to sell them very cheaply though, they won’t be able to replace them and their kids are likely to take a few wallopings.

Billy Bigbollocks are about to go hiding back in their slums and only be seen supporting their rugby club again very soon

How do they replace them? 

I've seen a suggestion that the 'new owners' were essentially the same people as the old owners, a loan has been taken out on club assets and the new owners are now nowhere to be seen.

It sounds far fetched, and a little funny too, if I'm honest, if only we had some football finance expert on here who could explain it..

6 hours ago, Cheese said:

As Bolton fans - if we've learned any lessons over the last few years, one of the big ones should be "Don't rejoice in the misfortune of others, because you never know what's round the corner". Particularly when peoples' livelihoods are at stake. Little more than a year ago, PNE were sending OUR staff food vouchers because they weren't being paid by their own club. OUR club. A bit of humility wouldn't go amiss, regardless of rivalries. If things don't go to plan we could easily be in the same situation again.

And if some Wigan fans revelled in our demise at the time, so what? - be the bigger man. Have some class.

I would totally agree in most cases. This isn’t one though :)

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

How do they replace them? 

2nd paragraph - they won’t. Freebies and kids, 2 year transfer embargo, surely a salary cap. Certainly at championship level scraping the bottom of the barrel.

They are on a slippery slope, no doubt about that. Enjoy the ride pie men

21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I've seen a suggestion that the 'new owners' were essentially the same people as the old owners, a loan has been taken out on club assets and the new owners are now nowhere to be seen.

It sounds far fetched, and a little funny too, if I'm honest, if only we had some football finance expert on here who could explain it..

Please God dont be smoking Custard out!