Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

They kicked Bury out of the Carabao Cup before the league I seem to remember so assume they could do the same. Might depend if they can put out a team or not as giving their first round opponents a bye is not much different to giving a potential second round opponent a bye.

11 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Burys Carabao Cup match was called off by the EFL on the 8th september and was due to be played on the 13th.

Wigans match is due to be played on 5th september , therefore would expect it called off on 31st August , except that is a bank holiday , therefore probably be called off next friday 28th August. 

EFL also issued 14 day notice to Bury of withdrawal of League membership on same day ( 8th August ) , it had originally been issued on 25th July but was initially issued and  suspended 

So If they are consistent something will happen next week 

Ah! It's  those sort of facts that warm the cockles of your heart.

Tic Tock!

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

If the large debts have been written off then the amount of money required to take the club on isn’t massive 

I’m sure someone will step in, just hope they don’t have deep pockets 

Even with players sold they will still be bleeding money - and they are going to have to aim towards getting their wages down towards the l1 salary cap.

I'd still like a few more gone - get Morsy, Lowe, Marshall (if he's not gone) Naismith and byrne away, then i'll be confident they aren't coming back up again

They run at c10m loss per year on championship revenue. Adjust that for league one and say 15m. Players they have sold so far are just to keep club afloat currently so that money is sunk with a wage saving to be had of course.  

Even with owners debt gone they are going to have to clear rest off inc HMRC plus show that they can fund the club for 2 years . Even with a reduced wage bill from players gone so far and expected to go the are still going to run at a loss of probably 8m a year so that 16m someone is going to have to evidence and be prepared to lose on top of the money to clear off the creditors at the prevailing rates in the pound. 

it’s a sizeable chunk of money this. 

18 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

They run at c10m loss per year on championship revenue. Adjust that for league one and say 15m. Players they have sold so far are just to keep club afloat currently so that money is sunk with a wage saving to be had of course.  

Even with owners debt gone they are going to have to clear rest off inc HMRC plus show that they can fund the club for 2 years . Even with a reduced wage bill from players gone so far and expected to go the are still going to run at a loss of probably 8m a year so that 16m someone is going to have to evidence and be prepared to lose on top of the money to clear off the creditors at the prevailing rates in the pound. 

And the 31st is a Bank Holiday.

16 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Wonder what the admins would do If say

Potential football club buyer offers a really low sum to buy because of all the running costs  - say £2 million for the lot and provides proof of funding for club over two years and

Wigan Rugby offer £2.5 million just for the stadium 

Could we end up in a situation we had with FV and the Hotel ?

Be good viewing whilst the clock ticks down 

I understand that the EFL have already indicated they would allow them to start the season if a takeover isn’t fully completed with the additional 14 days, so I don’t think there’s quite as much pressure as there might have been. Also with the Chinese cancelling the debt repayment plus player sales Wigan don’t seem to be in a bad place financially and will have enough to repay all creditors. If as speculated, the American consortium are seriously interested, they have more than deep enough pockets to cover the required running costs. My only question would be why they want to? A small club with little real fan base, a ground far too big to ever fill, training grounds they don’t really need now they’ve binned their U23’s and a big loss every year. It would take serious money to even think about getting back to the Championship, let alone the PL, so why would wealthy businessmen want to own them?

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Wonder what the admins would do If say

Potential football club buyer offers a really low sum to buy because of all the running costs  - say £2 million for the lot and provides proof of funding for club over two years and

Wigan Rugby offer £2.5 million just for the stadium 

Could we end up in a situation we had with FV and the Hotel ?

Be good viewing whilst the clock ticks down 

Good point. I’m not completely convinced owner is going to walk away without nothing leaving 85% share in a ground worth 30m+. But if he does then you could feasibly end up in a situation like that. And remember the admins have to act in the best interest of all creditors so couldn’t just accept whatever bid keeps the club alive. 

it’s far from over this yet 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Good point. I’m not completely convinced owner is going to walk away without nothing leaving 85% share in a ground worth 30m+. But if he does then you could feasibly end up in a situation like that. And remember the admins have to act in the best interest of all creditors so couldn’t just accept whatever bid keeps the club alive. 

it’s far from over this yet 

Please be correct

Goalie latest to go and coach (to Chelsea) be a depleted bunch in training and think more will be on the way next week.

Big rebuilding job for new owner and new lot will be nowhere near standard theyve been used to. Love to see their crowds if they are as hopeless as we have been for last few seasons. 

3 minutes ago, snowball said:

Goalie latest to go and coach (to Chelsea) be a depleted bunch in training and think more will be on the way next week.

Big rebuilding job for new owner and new lot will be nowhere near standard theyve been used to. Love to see their crowds if they are as hopeless as we have been for last few seasons. 

Love to see a bulldozer smashing the stadium up to be honest. 

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

Talking of facts, I’ve not seen Malcolm on here lately.

I was incommunicado in Bamburgh for several days. No phone signal, no paper shop, but at least I bumped into Brendan Foster - 25 years to the day since I last met him (in Gotherburg Airport).

Whelan pulled the plug on Orrell RUFC. Wigan RFLC will do no favours for Athletic.

Think they will be ok, certainly don't think it’s going in the same direction as Bury 

The key will be timing, if they start the season with it up in the air and they have to make up the team with kids they will get hammered like we did

When does the transfer window shut this season? Realistically any takeover needs completing a good couple of weeks before that shuts to allow them to sort themselves out. If it’s completed just before or after then they will struggle next season 

5 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Think they will be ok, certainly don't think it’s going in the same direction as Bury 

The key will be timing, if they start the season with it up in the air and they have to make up the team with kids they will get hammered like we did

When does the transfer window shut this season? Realistically any takeover needs completing a good couple of weeks before that shuts to allow them to sort themselves out. If it’s completed just before or after then they will struggle next season 

You might be right, but I don’t see any genuinely interested parties, think they are on life support, no news from Admin, Kendrick (Wigan Times) or Nixon on any deals that’s look close, and as someone mentioned they’ve probably got a week to get a deal at least in the pipeline to allow them to start the season. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

7 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Admin won’t take it past 31st Aug unless a buyer found.

The transfer deadline is probably irrelevant this year as there will be so many out of contract players looking for clubs it won’t matter. The only problem will be that they won’t be properly fit and will struggle just as we did. Sounds like they have two offers currently, one from Lenighan and the American consortium, so a deal should be done of some kind.