Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The coward has deleted his account. No surprise.

Keyboard warriors mate. Just got to hope for an fa cup draw against them if they survive. Preferably the death of the them but otherwise a tasty cup game. Think it will be an extremely moody affair next time/if we meet again 

A little taste of the future for these twats yesterday. Most of their support seems still to be in denial. 

There's going to be a time in the next year or two when we play them again. They'll be in transitional mode. All of the trappings they've gathered to create the mirage of substance will be melting away along with their already flimsy support base. The tinpot core will be visible once more

Every Bolton Wanderers fan will be up for it on that day. You reap what you sew. Absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. 

• Site Supporter

Had a look an LaticsSpeyk and found this little gem:

I am so proud to be a tic and we have history and a DNA to overcome all this and re grow over next few years because it’s what we do.
Must be very few clubs over the world with the diverse history we have and let me say friends we may be down but we are certainly defiantly not out we go again like a Phoenix rising from the ashes of the Phoenix stand.

Can someone just remind me of the history being spoken about here? The one which “very few clubs in the world” have.

22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Can someone just remind me of the history being spoken about here? The one which “very few clubs in the world” have.

History of grass sloped away ends? History of having your home end invaded by Bolton fans? History of only being in the football league in the first place because Southport got a bit too shit? History of sharing a ground with egg chasers? History of never filling said ground? History of pitiful away followings including taking about 80 fans to Tottenham for a Prem game? 

58 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

History of grass sloped away ends? History of having your home end invaded by Bolton fans? History of only being in the football league in the first place because Southport got a bit too shit? History of sharing a ground with egg chasers? History of never filling said ground? History of pitiful away followings including taking about 80 fans to Tottenham for a Prem game? 

Steeped in history, right there.

All shit, mind you. The only thing they've ever achieved that I'm envious of is the Cup win.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Aye well we've had four of them. They won't be adding to that one now peg-leg has fucked off. 

Apparently ours don’t count because they’re a long time ago. By those rule maybe history doesn’t show our four wins or that we were founder members of the league or that Wigan have been fairly tinpot since they entered the league in <looks at watch>  Nineteen seventy eight. 

7 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Apparently ours don’t count because they’re a long time ago. By those rule maybe history doesn’t show our four wins or that we were founder members of the league or that Wigan have been fairly tinpot since they entered the league in <looks at watch>  Nineteen seventy eight. 

Ah right. So this would be the Wigan criteria for judging the relative size of clubs. Wonder how they explain away the fact that we've been a division or more above them for the vast majority of their 42 years in league football and dwarf their attendances? 

They've been trying to make us reciprocate their feelings towards us for decades. Now they've succeeded. Maybe that's their biggest success. But provoking someone who is bigger and stronger than you is never a wise move. And football fans have long, long memories.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

A Wigan fan customer of mine was lording it up to me when they won the FAC. He said, and I still can't believe what he said, that Bolton would love to have the history WAFC have. I could not believe my ears, and he said it in all seriousness without a hint of joking. Well done on winning the FA Cup, but come on. 

I still see him now and during our problems last year he was serving me big plates of fake sympathy with side orders of patronising concern. I'm now the waiter 😁

8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I still see him now and during our problems last year he was serving me big plates of fake sympathy with side orders of patronising concern. I'm now the waiter 😁

My dad’s mate was the same last year. The only Wigan fan I’ve ever known, though he’s harmless enough.

Used to go for a drink every Tuesday after work with them until COVID happened. A tongue in cheek “not looking good is it?” every fucking week.

Had to seriously bite my tongue when I saw him recently. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Traf said:

Of course, we've had four, but I'm still a little envious that I've not seen us win anything of note.

I know what you mean mate ,but you can only be talking about cup wins as I think winning the top division is well beyond us, after all we never won it in our pomp, but for me that fabled night at Ewood and the play off against Reading are occasions that the pie eaters could only dream of .

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Correct 

Gut wrenching when they won that no matter what anyone says 

I hope we get one in my lifetime 

Did you really feel that bad when they won it?

Not trying to be clever or anything, I'm genuinely curious- just another fa cup final with a different winner for me.

The only time football has pissed me off has been if our results or those of England have been shite.

Might have a wry smile if a rival gets thrapped, but not down if they win.