Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Hartlepool around christmas was the worst I can remember,  fakin freezing and it started snowing towards the end if the game .    Think scott green scored with a cross,  or maybe they did.     Memory is shot.  

Aye, it was Greenie. That was about game 8 or 9 of their 12 or so games without a goal

14 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

v Spurs in a FA Cup replay Jan. 1978. It went to extra time and I was so cold I thought my feet would fall off. Won with a Gary Jones goal very late on.

31,000 on on a Tuesday night.

Don't recall ever being so cold.

Incredible that there were over 31k for an FA Cup 3rd round game, against a team in the same division.  No giant killing chance, no local derby, no cheap tickets, no big away following and its a freezing cold midweek.  And we'd just lost 2 league games to Millwall and Burnley.  We only had 3 other 30k+ crowds that season: the other game v Spurs in Div 2, the promotion/title game v Fulham and Leeds in league cup.  Days when cup games were your biggest crowd pullers even in a season when you got promoted.

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Ritson scored the first. I don't recall how, but happy to believe it was a free-kick.

Jones the extra-time winner.

I wasn't hooked on Bolton at the time, but I have a great memory of that winner, it was the live commentary on radio 2 - by the great Brian Butler.  There probably weren't many times Butler commentated live on a Bolton winner but the way it came across on the radio was one of the reasons I wanted to go to more games after that, it sounded like Ritson had won the world cup with a 30 yard screamer.

My coldest recollection was York City away in early seventies.We were met on a very cold day on Trinity st. by the boys in blue & led to a ‘special ‘ which as it turned out had no heating whatsoever.We froze our nads off during the journey & were helped by our resident loons who decided to make it even colder by putting a couple of windows through.On arrival we were frogmarched by Yorkshire’s finest right to Bootham Crescent .I was dressed like most others shirt/jacket(suit) best brogues not winter attire by any sane criteria.Well we got beat 2-0 on a frozen pitch that could have hosted an ice skating competition.After the match I tried to take a short cut across the pitch , & ended up being chased by a large copper. Peice of piss I thought , outrun that lardarse easily but not reckoned on the frozen pitch - leather brogues combination.Just managed to get out in time ,at least it warmed me up.Cattle truck was waiting to take us home complete with even more broken windows.Siberian express wouldn’t have been colder.

19 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

My coldest recollection was York City away in early seventies.We were met on a very cold day on Trinity st. by the boys in blue & led to a ‘special ‘ which as it turned out had no heating whatsoever.We froze our nads off during the journey & were helped by our resident loons who decided to make it even colder by putting a couple of windows through.On arrival we were frogmarched by Yorkshire’s finest right to Bootham Crescent .I was dressed like most others shirt/jacket(suit) best brogues not winter attire by any sane criteria.Well we got beat 2-0 on a frozen pitch that could have hosted an ice skating competition.After the match I tried to take a short cut across the pitch , & ended up being chased by a large copper. Peice of piss I thought , outrun that lardarse easily but not reckoned on the frozen pitch - leather brogues combination.Just managed to get out in time ,at least it warmed me up.Cattle truck was waiting to take us home complete with even more broken windows.Siberian express wouldn’t have been colder.

Great tale. 👍

38 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Very snowy and cold day! Was a big giant killing act at the time, as York was in the old 4th division, and we was in the old 2nd division, a time when there was no putting a reserve team out, as it meant so much! How times have changed!

2 minutes ago, woolli said:

Very snowy and cold day! Was a big giant killing act at the time, as York was in the old 4th division, and we was in the old 2nd division, a time when there was no putting a reserve team out, as it meant so much! How times have changed!

I was there that day; cant remember it being that cold and I went on the train

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

We didn't. They had ONE decent player, called Hulme. Scored 2. He ended up at Bury if I recall correctly.

It was one of the very rare times my, not especially interested in football, kids came with me.

It did nothing to alter that 

Ha ha!  Good memory.  2 different Hulmes - Kevin was a bit of a Bury legend in 90s, Iain Hulme was the Tranmere one, went to Leicester, Barnsley, PNE for biggish fees.  Famously got a fractured skull from Chris Morgan.

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I was there that day; cant remember it being that cold and I went on the train

It was 1971, nearly 50 years ago! Perhaps that why you cant remember! Going on the train doesnt have any effect on the weather!

Edited by woolli
more info

well back on topic. Another rat has left the sinking turd. Joe Garner their top scorer has asked to be released from his contract to go and play in India where he will actually get paid unlike at the Dick Wipe. Fact they are letting him go speaks volumes

of course the knobs on spastics speyk now saying hes shit anyway! hes your top scorer shitheads!

Loving it.