Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Oh, and the cunt was wearing only a gillet - nowt underneath.

To show off his water retention.

Edit: and thinking back it was after watching England-Ecuador in The Varsity (Germany 2006).

It kicked off in town after pretty much each match that year.. I was working in Cromptons mule at the time as a part time barman

9 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

I used to be & definitely agree it's needed in the curriculum.

Worked in London this time 2 years ago & the school were big on BHM. Read a good book about The Windrush & had the author come in & chat to the class about it. 

My point was only that (imo) it doesn't have to be confined to one month a year. That usually ends up just being a week. Came to that conclusion after a couple of black teachers said they would like to see it more embedded in the curriculum throughout the year.

Outside of schools, its certainly a month. I've worked closely with the team behind the month and the editors of the BHM mag. It really is still needed. This thread proves it if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Outside of schools, its certainly a month. I've worked closely with the team behind the month and the editors of the BHM mag. It really is still needed. This thread proves it if nothing else.

Aye I've just been talking about in schools and how it could be more spread out. Agree that it's much needed in wider society. 

Sounds like good work you've been involved with 👍

We didn’t teach anything about black history when I was at school and I will be honest I know very very little about it now. 

we were taught about the British empire a wee bit and the colonies and stuff at school but that was because one of my classmates asked. 

yet, remarkably, I’m not a racist and nor am I a white supremacist. May be a very simplistic view I hold but that leads me to believe the problem doesn’t exist because kids aren’t getting taught at school about BH. 

2 hours ago, only1swanny said:

It kicked off in town after pretty much each match that year.. I was working in Cromptons mule at the time as a part time barman

Town was rammed with odious nobheads during that era - it was always kicking off and hard to avoid getting dragged into proceedings so we simply stopped going.

Bizarrely 'The Late Bar' on Bank Street, never once saw it boot off in there.

Suppose everyone was too wankered to care.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

26 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We didn’t teach anything about black history when I was at school and I will be honest I know very very little about it now. 

we were taught about the British empire a wee bit and the colonies and stuff at school but that was because one of my classmates asked. 

yet, remarkably, I’m not a racist and nor am I a white supremacist. May be a very simplistic view I hold but that leads me to believe the problem doesn’t exist because kids aren’t getting taught at school about BH. 

So you not being a white supremist is evidence that BH isn't important? I know you hate having words put in your mouth, so correct me if I'm wrong. Agree with you that it's not the solution to people's prejudice but it is a piece in the jigsaw. 

I reckon we would all agree that History is an important subject. Giving young people the skills to look at information and make a rational decision about it's validity. In our world of fake news, twitter videos and conspiracy peddling presidents it feels more important than ever for people on both sides of the political spectrum. 

Looking at how propaganda was used to justify the slave trade and British Empire would be a good way to do this. As would looking at other historical situations and leaders who still do it today.

It's also about creating a balance where every great inventor, artist, mathematician and author that you study isn't always white. If anything BH can just get teachers to reflect to make sure they're doing this.  

7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

So you not being a white supremist is evidence that BH isn't important? I know you hate having words put in your mouth, so correct me if I'm wrong. Agree with you that it's not the solution to people's prejudice but it is a piece in the jigsaw. 

I reckon we would all agree that History is an important subject. Giving young people the skills to look at information and make a rational decision about it's validity. In our world of fake news, twitter videos and conspiracy peddling presidents it feels more important than ever for people on both sides of the political spectrum. 

Looking at how propaganda was used to justify the slave trade and British Empire would be a good way to do this. As would looking at other historical situations and leaders who still do it today.

It's also about creating a balance where every great inventor, artist, mathematician and author that you study isn't always white. If anything BH can just get teachers to reflect to make sure they're doing this.  

I’m merely pointing out that I had no education about any of this. My parents didn’t either. 

but my mother made me aware at an early age that it was unacceptable. This is the key to me. 

I’m not saying awareness isn’t a key part in this and I guess if schools can help that’s great. But to me if a kid from a racist family goes to school and is taught about BH it’s unlikely to change his views  

I’m not saying don’t teach it. Far from it. But our behaviors are formed initially at home. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

I’m merely pointing out that I had no education about any of this. My parents didn’t either. 

but my mother made me aware at an early age that it was unacceptable. This is the key to me. 

I’m not saying awareness isn’t a key part in this and I guess if schools can help that’s great. But to me if a kid from a racist family goes to school and is taught about BH it’s unlikely to change his views  

I’m not saying don’t teach it. Far from it. But our behaviors are formed initially at home. 

Schools can do whatever they want.

If role models at home are racist, it's going to have a knock on effect on some. I don't teach much about history in my subject.  

It is working though, kids are becoming more inclusive.

2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

If role models at home are racist, it's going to have a knock on effect on some. I don't teach much about history in my subject.  

That’s what I’m saying mate. 
folk (not necessarily on here) and banging the drum as if it’s a magic wand. It’s a very very small part of it. But it needs to start at home and then in peer groups as that is where behaviors are formed. Not in the classroom 

32 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It is much harder if kids are hearing racist views at home. But it can still have an impact.

And it works both ways. I've had Muslim kids say 'my book says that it is wrong to be gay' etc. But school is an important place to see those opposing views and learn that discrimination based on race, sexual preference, gender etc. is illegal. 

I've had kids bring all sort of learned behaviours from home, but with the right school environment, they have thrived and changed for the better. 

Doesn't always work though but can play a part in changing behaviour and views over each generation. 

Edited by London Wanderer

• Members
40 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

We didn’t have any bummers (that we were aware of anyway) in my class at school. 

You know what they say, if you look around the room and can’t find the one gay person in it, well......

11 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I looked into my history a few years back so thought I should share. 

I was born in Bolton to a Jamaican Mam, and English Dad

My Mam was born in Kingston, Jamaica, owd fella like me was born in Bolton to Irish parents

My Jamaican Grandparents were a seamstress, and a mechanical engineer.

My Irish grandparents were a housewife and Builder

After WW2 my Jamaican parents came over in 1948 on the MW Windrush, as the UK was suffering from lack of workers and a very depleted economy. They were invited to this country, to help recover the country following WW2. My Grandma worked in Swan Lane Mill, and my Grandad worked in a engineering firm making car and truck parts.

My Irish grandparents came over shortly after, my Grandad and as a builder and worked around the north west, mainly around the shipyards of Liverpool whilst my Nan was a housewife. 

Going back further My Jamaican grandparents worked on a sugar plantation, now this is where it gets interesting, the owner of the plantation was a decedent  of a slave auctioner. 

My relatives worked on a sugar plantation farm as slaves in Jamaica. A distant relative was born a slave and when he grew up, he managed to buy his freedom and his release papers.

Going further back I have descendants from Africa who lived on the west coast of Africa, their town is listed in slave papers as being subject to numerous raids which I imagine is when they were captured and enslaved. 
This isn’t ancient history this is relatively recent. Imagine being taken from your home, put in shackles, beaten, whipped and then thrown on a boat to be sold for a life as a slave.

This lasted for 400 years. 

It’s not black history it’s all our history. 

Great post that Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

These days, the home is probably one of the few places where a prejudice of any kind probably won’t be questioned which, unfortunately, if coming from a parent will lead the child into a world of shit when he/she eventually utters those words which were deemed acceptable at home.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, bolton va va said:

:lol: did work on the door there but I'm pretty sure he wasn't part of Ron's mob,  maybe even a different period.

First time i remember LC was on the door of a curry house

Last time I saw him was Rotherham last season

22 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye I've just been talking about in schools and how it could be more spread out. Agree that it's much needed in wider society. 

Sounds like good work you've been involved with 👍

I wish - I was only involved to help shift tickets/event planing and PR for a few shws I was working on. They are a strong place to engage certain channels. We got the cover for last year's mag for a Mandela exhibition I was doing the marketing for an they were really supportive. Plus we did a bit of work with Dame Doreen Lawrence, she is an amazing woman. Also its funded by the ads they can run, and its interesting its a lot about recruitment, and diversifiy workplaces, the RAF have run a big ad in this year's magazine I see, as have Cheshire poice, the Army, ; https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/

They are a lovely bunch and its really, as you know, about bringing stories to light about the Black Britsh experience that the general public don't know about. Its certainly worth 30 minutes of everyone's time to have a read. 

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I wish - I was only involved to help shift tickets/event planing and PR for a few shws I was working on. They are a strong place to engage certain channels. We got the cover for last year's mag for a Mandela exhibition I was doing the marketing for an they were really supportive. Plus we did a bit of work with Dame Doreen Lawrence, she is an amazing woman. Also its funded by the ads they can run, and its interesting its a lot about recruitment, and diversifiy workplaces, the RAF have run a big ad in this year's magazine I see, as have Cheshire poice, the Army, ; https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/

They are a lovely bunch and its really, as you know, about bringing stories to light about the Black Britsh experience that the general public don't know about. Its certainly worth 30 minutes of everyone's time to have a read. 

Cheers mate. 👍 Will take a look.