Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

Great post that, Rudy.

Used to wag college as a 16 year old and hang around in Great Lever library, now shameful to say, demolished - read Roots by Alex Haley over the course of a few days - he was accused of plaigarism and embellishIng, but it's a powerful work.

I think like most kids of the 70's (LATE 70's for me 😉) watched the tv adaptation 'live', one of my earliest memories. I rewatched it when I was at University and it was a bit dated - production wise, cameras etc.

When it was first aired - groundbreaking.

Taught me at a young age about people being torn from family, home, religion even their name - and treated like chattel, abused, murdered.

My parents let me watch what they watched.

Five year old? Dirty Harry? "He's alreet" said dad.

Few years later - the latest Dennis Potter full of shagging "he's alreet" (my dad again). Joanne Whalley as a nurse - didn't even know about wanking but she got banked.

I'm sure my dad used to let me stay up late Saturdays as a very young kid - after Match of the Day had finished, there was a 'variety' show on - probably another side. 'Live from Monte Carlo'. Heavily featuring dancing girls with their tits out...

Or had I just fallen asleep during highlights of Villa vs Oxford Utd and dreaming?

Edited by Youri McAnespie

14 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Great post that, Rudy.

Used to wag college as a 16 year old and hang around in Great Lever library - read Roots by Alex Haley over the course of a few days - he was accused of plaigarism and embellishIng, but it's a powerful work.

I think like most kids of the 70's (LATE 70's for me 😉) watched the tv adaptation, I rewatched it when I was at University and it was a bit dated - production wise, cameras etc.

When it was first aired - groundbreaking.

Taught me at a young age about people being torn from family, home, religion even their name - and treated like chattel, abused, murdered.

My parents let me watch what they watched.

Five year old? Dirty Harry? "He's alreet" said dad.

Few years later - the latest Dennis Potter full of shagging "he's alreet" (my dad again). Joanne Whalley as a nurse - didn't even know about wanking but she got banked.

I'm sure my dad used to let me stay up late Saturdays as a very young kid - after Match of the Day had finished, there was a 'variety' show on - probably another side. 'Live from Monte Carlo'. Heavily featuring dancing girls with their tits out...

Or had I just fallen asleep during highlights of Villa vs Oxford Utd and dreaming?

Joanne Whalley bang on there Youri 

9 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Anyone watch the Anton Ferdinand documentary?

Very powerful and emotional

It was wasn't it?

Felt sorry for the bloke but half the time I couldn't really grasp what it was he was looking for.  He's really beaten himself up over the years for not speaking out at the time but I'm not sure how he could, as (a) he didnt hear what Terry said and (b) it was subject to legal proceedings.

Some of the stuff on Twitter though was just vile.  It would have been interesting to know if there were any prosecutions from that. Scandalous if not.

• Members
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

It was wasn't it?

Felt sorry for the bloke but half the time I couldn't really grasp what it was he was looking for.  He's really beaten himself up over the years for not speaking out at the time but I'm not sure how he could, as (a) he didnt hear what Terry said and (b) it was subject to legal proceedings.

Some of the stuff on Twitter though was just vile.  It would have been interesting to know if there were any prosecutions from that. Scandalous if not.

Not seen it yet but at the time I thoughtThe FA handled it very badly but I suppose it was sort Of unprecedented ground. That’s why I think it should be a independent non footballing body dealing with these kind of issues because the FA always have an investment to protect.