Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

The players feel it's worthwhile?

Given Romeo's comments after the match, he certainly does

Theyd be frightened to death of the grief junkie faux outrage if they spoke out against.

Les Ferdinand for one says it should stop. Plenty of players across Europe, F1 drivers etc all havent participated.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, jmjhb said:

For those moaning about politics in football, I presume you won't be going to a gig ever again then?

Music gig?

Gave up on them years ago, strangely because I wanted to listen to music, not some expletive laden rant by someone looking to raise their popularity (income).

I wasn't going to the football in the 80's when I believe it was much worse.

What happened to all the racists? Did they just stop going to the football or did they just stop being racist as they got older and wiser? Or are they still racist but just keep a lid on it nowadays?

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

What happened to all the racists? Did they just stop going to the football or did they just stop being racist as they got older and wiser? Or are they still racist but just keep a lid on it nowadays?

Most have probably died and those who haven’t have probably wised up.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

Worked enough rather than had no effect at all

Look online and you’ll see plenty of critique for Kick it out from ex players 🤷🏽‍♂️

I'm sure some will, never please everyone. 

Doesn't mean its not been effective, not does it mean improvements can't be made.

As a youngster I hated some of the chants and abuse. Players had no outlet and had to suck it up.

Totally different now. Hugely so, and for me a reason why crowds grew from where they were.

13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Think society in general has become a lot less racist, which is a great thing 

Let’s not forget, in the 80’s the % of BAME would have been under 4% in the U.K., now it’s 14%. BAME make up over 20% of people in the younger age groups. As a group, non whites are no longer a very small minority, they are part and parcel of British life. As a society we have become much more multicultural in the last 30 years (half of all the BAME groups weren’t born here and have emigrated here over the past few decades) 

Again, all good things, partly the reason why I don’t feel like we should be beating ourselves up that our system is unfair to anyone who isn’t white 

Edited by birch-chorley

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Most have probably died or wised up.

Did we have a big problem with it at Bolton as well?

I remember by Dad giving someone dogs abuse for calling Michael Brown a 'stupid coon' or words to that effect when I was at my first ever game in the Lever End.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Is age an issue here? 

Yes, certainly. 

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Totally and utterly different experience with respect to abuse.

Maybe poorer is some regards (terracing and sound).

No doubt some now keep a lid on it, but that in itself is an achievement. In time behaviour has changed because of a lot of work from relevant parties.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes, certainly. 

Totally and utterly different experience with respect to abuse.

Maybe poorer is some regards (terracing and sound).

No doubt some now keep a lid on it, but that in itself is an achievement. In time behaviour has changed because of a lot of work from relevant parties.

So what was the average age of the people booing?

7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I remember by Dad giving someone dogs abuse for calling Michael Brown a 'stupid coon' or words to that effect when I was at my first ever game in the Lever End.

As big as anywhere else from my memory as a kid

Wasn’t too long ago I had strong words with a Bolton fan who was racially abusing and bullying a young steward at a London away. Charlton I think it was.

8 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It was bad. Fans used to wait for a black player to touch the ball and then let rip. It was if they'd waited all week to vent that steam. We're talking of a time when 95+% of players were white. As time evolved though, it naturally and thankfully died off.    

20 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I’d not say we had a big problem, was usually just the odd knob head who used it to put opposition players off. Although I do remember early 70s the lever end singing zigger zagger zigger, think again folk who sang it probably weren’t all racist and was used as a tactic to put the good black players off their game. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Speaking of abuse by Bolton fans

Shrewsbury away - that first game of the season one. When was it 91 maybe?

Anyway I was about 12.

Pissed Bolton fans abusing one of their mates, “he’s a Manc cunt” etc...gesturing to a copper “arrest him officer he’s a Manc”.

I had no clue what that meant, assumed it was some terrible thing (yea it is I know)

I turn to my Dad “what’s a Manc Dad?”

Imagine my face when he replied “you’re one son” without further explanation :D

Edited by jules_darby

• Site Supporter

For me, it's as simple as this - A racist fan who witnesses players taking the knee is likely going to boo, so anyone who joins in with them is siding with the racist. Simple as that. If you're not a racist, but you don't agree with players taking the knee for more nuanced reasons, write a letter.

6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Have clubs from other European leagues continued with this farce? 

And if the kneeling isn’t about BLM and more about systematic racism then why do we see numerous players week in week out showing the clenched fist? 

Maybe cos for almost 50 years it’s been associated with fighting oppression?

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

For me, it's as simple as this - A racist fan who witnesses players taking the knee is likely going to boo, so anyone who joins in with them is siding with the racist. Simple as that. If you're not a racist, but you don't agree with players taking the knee for more nuanced reasons, write a letter.

Why is booing racist but writing a letter isnt?