Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

5 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

He's entitled to his view

I'm entitled to think nothing of them, given his crackpot theories on other matters

So let me get this right. 

a Black footballers views on racism and Black Lives Matter amount to nothing? Because he has strange views on other things that happen to contradict your own beliefs? 

wonderful 👏🏻

2 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

Actually I mostly agree with what he said on the issue in that article, apart from the martial law bollocks

He does have a propensity for the crackpot theory though, so maybe a broken clock is right twice a day 

I’ve never really heard much of the bloke before I saw that article to be fair and found it interesting so wanted the people who had criticized such opinions from folk on here to comment if possible see if they thought his view was also nonsensical and not worthy orf airing as well that was all.

And if this made him racist of course? 

Edited by Escobarp

1 minute ago, jmjhb said:

Equally interesting was that Chris Hughton, who is also black, was perfectly ok with it

Thousands of blacks are perfectly ok with it as is their right. Not sure what your point is though?

do you think lyle Taylor is a racist towards black people out of interest? 

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thousands of blacks are perfectly ok with it as is their right. Not sure what your point is though?

do you think lyle Taylor is a racist towards black people out of interest? 

Just thought it was worth pointing out.

No, of course not, I'm not sure how you possibly came to that conclusion

Edited by jmjhb

Just now, jmjhb said:

Just thought it was worth pointing out.

No, of course not

Thanks. Hopefully someone who insinuated people who held the same view as him were racists will be along to vilify Lyle Taylor and call him an ignorant racist shortly. For balance of course. 

The main objection, certainly mine, was the fact some, not all, predominantly white middle-aged blokes were opining that racism was either largely a thing of the past (in the UK) through to 'not as big a thing as in the USA'...

It's not for us to make that judgement.

It's arguably legitimate for a white bloke to be of the opinion there is racism because we will know racists, encounter racist behaviour, we'll see looks over shoulders before bigots open their big mouths etc...

Our whiteness gives us access to racist thought and action - what it prevents us experiencing is direct white on black racism.

Lyle Taylor can say whatever he likes based on his experiences and his race.

He couldn't say that 'gammon' doesn't hurty feelings and is a nasty name to call folk 'cause he won't ever be called gammon.

Is it right for a bloke to say childbirth is nowt and wimmin should quit bellyaching?

For a gentile to claim there's no longer anti-semitism?

A straight bloke or woman to say homophobia is a thing of the past?

But it seems it's fine for a white bloke to say systemic racism is a myth, that black folk are overreacting - they're just jumping on a bandwagon, attention seeking in their reaction to an event thousands of miles away in Minneapolis...

I never called anyone a racist, I merely questioned the right of a certain demographic to make claims that there were no/few racists or that racism was being overblown as an issue.

It's not our call (white lads on this forum) to make.

(Rudy, Deane and any other folk of black heritage who post on here excepted).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The main objection, certainly mine, was the fact some, not all, predominantly white middle-aged blokes were opining that racism was either completely a thing of the past through to 'not as big a thing as in the USA'...

It's not for us to make that judgement.

It's arguably legitimate for a white bloke to be of the opinion there is racism because we will know racists, encounter racist behaviour, we'll see looks over shoulders before bigots open their big mouths etc...

Our whiteness gives us access to racist thought and action - what it prevents us experiencing is direct white on black racism.

Lyle Taylor can say whatever he likes based on his experiences and his race.

He couldn't say that 'gammon' doesn't hurty feelings and is a nasty name to call folk 'cause he won't ever be called gammon.

Is it right for a bloke to say childbirth is nowt and wimmin should quit bellyaching?

For a gentile to claim there's no longer anti-semitism?

A straight bloke or woman to say homophobia is a thing of the past?

But it seems it's fine for a white bloke to say systemic racism is a myth, that black folk are overreacting - they're just jumping on a bandwagon, attention seeking in their reaction to an event thousands of miles away in Minneapolis...

I never called anyone a racist, I merely questioned the right of a certain demographic that there were no racists or that racism was being overblown as an issue.

It's not our call (white lads on this forum) to make.

(Rudy, Dean and any other folk of black heritage who post on here excepted).

Ive never seen a single post on this forum saying racism doesn’t exist? Have I missed something? 

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

I didn't make that claim, well maybe I'll amend the post above by adding 'largely'...

And I'm not trawling back through the thread (and others) for evidence - I know what I've read.

So do I mate.

also my actual point was around BLM and the views of people around what it actually stood for as an organization, why we should maybe distance the messaging from associating with BLM and that the message had been diluted. A viewpoint shared by a black footballer clearly and I just wondered if the same people who criticized folk on here for the same view would brand him/imply he was an ignorant racist also ? 

@Escobarp

You clearly feel you've been slandered in specific posts by specific posters of which I am not one.

Regarding Lyle Taylor I had no idea of his existence until about two hours ago.

He might be a big old racist for all I know, a rabid sinophobic or a Farrakhan following anti-semite.

I dunno how he could possibly be viewed as a racist against his own race - it's a nonsensical proposition.

Some folk with a similar heritage may slur him as a 'sellout' etc. some may concur with him - that's entirely their prerogative(s).

As a white bloke I have no opinion on his opinion, his opinion is formed of his experience - experience I can never erm...experience, thus my viewpoint is null and void.

11 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

It's a welcomed input from Lyle and fair play to him. If by not kneeling he wants to make a statement about the politics of BLM then that's his right.  I hope he is supported. There are plenty of  black people who don't associate themselves with the BLM message, they are certainly not a minority. 

It does just bring us around in the same old fucking circle on this thread though. Despite everything Lyle says - those taking the knee are not necessarily doing it for BLM - many are doing it for reasons of anti-racism and racial equality. Something he says he agrees with in his statement. 

Edited by London Wanderer

23 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

It's a welcomed input from Lyle and fair play to him. If by not kneeling he wants to make a statement about the politics of BLM then that's his right.  I hope he is supported. There are plenty of  black people who don't associate themselves with the BLM message, they are certainly not a minority. 

It does just bring us around in the same old fucking circle on this thread though. Despite everything Lyle says - those taking the knee are not necessarily doing it for BLM - many are doing it for reasons of anti-racism and racial equality. Something he says he agrees with in his statement. 

That’s not the point I was making though was it? So what circle are we coming around just so I’m clear?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Did you see Attenborough last night, and the relationship between fig wasps and ants? Quality.

I’ll never eat a fig again! 

Correction: If I ate figs, I’d never eat figs again!