Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

18 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Endangered species in a few years 

BBC or white heterosexual males?

Edited by boltondiver

7 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

Ok Jol... can you please tell me how kids don't get a fair crack at education or how kids are treated differently by our NHS or even better you could tell me what housing/benefit situation is for these so called hard to done by. 

All kids have access to state education and to the NHS. Benefits are (generally) available to those who are hard done by. But you said that all kids have the same opportunities as each other when growing up. That’s just not true.

I very much accept that people have the chance to work hard and make a successful life for themselves; but many privileged individuals have doors opened, opportunities created, contacts made etc. that the vast majority simply don’t.

10 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

+ Same health care and the same opportunity as any kid growing up. It's always someone else's fault for the failure of others.

5 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

All kids have access to state education and to the NHS. Benefits are (generally) available to those who are hard done by. But you said that all kids have the same opportunities as each other when growing up. That’s just not true.

I very much accept that people have the chance to work hard and make a successful life for themselves; but many privileged individuals have doors opened, opportunities created, contacts made etc. that the vast majority simply don’t.

Jol

There is huge opportunity in this country. Some might get a better start, sure, but the country is open to make for yourself what you want from life.

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

To a degree you’re right, I grew up in a tough area not because I’m black because it was multi cultural, I just wanted more to get out of that area. I’m not exceptionally clever, not from a well off background but we’re all hard working in my family and wanted the best, that was just bred into us 
I don’t believe your race, gender , religion define your path but you have to put the work in to get there no matter who you are

100% Spot on, think your family have a greater influence on what you achieve in life. 

I’m council house from working class and just wanted a better life, wasn’t interesting in going to uni, so took apprenticeship in something I wasn't particularly interested in but at the time jobs were at a premium, passed apprenticeship, soon after recession and redundancy, took a job in a textile warehouse and worked myself up from there, travelled overseas many times with work, now live in nice area and have reasonably nice lifestyle, anyhow I put that down to my parents who I think brought me up to row my own boat and instilled the right work ethos and were good role models, many kids aren’t lucky enough to have that in life, that for me is the biggest factor at play. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

40 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

but many privileged individuals have doors opened, opportunities created, contacts made etc. that the vast majority simply don’t.

But that's not down to race is it.

It's the same everywhere in the world and nothing anyone says or does is going to change it.

12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

100% Spot on, think your family have a greater influence on what you achieve in life. 

I’m council house from working class and just wanted a better life, wasn’t interesting in going to uni, so took apprenticeship in something I wasn't particularly interested in but at the time jobs were at a premium, passed apprenticeship, soon after recession and redundancy, took a job in a textile warehouse and worked myself up from there, travelled overseas many times with work, now live in nice area and have reasonably nice lifestyle, anyhow I put that down to my parents who I think brought me up to row my own boat and instilled the right work ethos and were good role models, many kids aren’t lucky enough to have that in life, that for me is the biggest factor at play. 

Pretty much the same as me. We had very little growing up but what we did have was enough. Left school at 16 and moved around the country to find decent work from 17. Now I'm settled in lovely area that can be a great starting block for my daughter growing up. In the UK No-one is stopping you from changing your own life.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My Mam said it best don’t let your race define you, define your race. 
Life is full of stumbling blocks, don’t create more because you think you’re not allowed the same opportunities 

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Life is full of stumbling blocks, don’t create more because you think you’re not allowed the same opportunities 

Gosh, some great philosophy there

I’ll save that

21 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Very wise words indeed. Life is to a great extent what you make of it. 

but I also agree with Jol that not everyone is offered the same leg up in life. But you can either be bitter about that or just make the most of what you have yourself. A lot of people get to where they get not through their own ability or drive it’s just life. It will never change. 

but for the main part you are in control of your own destiny 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

This is good.

I would add that with such a positive philosophy, should any clear race issues be thrust at you, then you're in a better position to do something about it- if that means taking your talents elsewhere to the betterment of a new employer etc, and the detriment of a dinosaur then that's good, because they will ultimately become extinct like their prehistoric cousins.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Goes back to great parenting, you were lucky you had great parents, sadly many kids, black, white, mixed race, don’t have that luck. And I’ve seen the effect that has on the opportunities of kids on the council estate I lived on, sadly parenting in my opinion hasn't improved over the years, and with some families we are 3-4 generations in where parenting skills have diminished and family units are broken, sadly it’s entrenched in many families now and lead to all sorts of anti social behaviour, crime, drugs, and violence, how you break that cycle I don’t know. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

A lot to unpick in this thread, a lot based on personal experience and apply that a bit too broadly across a range if social issues which does mean certain things are missed.

Two of my daughters go to a selective school, will they do better than everyone who goes to a comp? No, it's not guaranteed, but in percentage terms it gives them a better shot - its up to them to take that opportunity, but an opportunity it most certainly is. The school is made up of mainly Middle class children, not because middle class children are brighter but because parents spent money on 12 months tutoring to help them pass a test. That's imbalance right there.

My dad is a retired Headmaster, my mum an English teacher. After uni (which they supported me through) I work for free for 12 months to build up my CV, something I could do because they afforded me that. It meant when I was going for my first job, my CV was in much better shape than a lot of others. That's an imbalance right there.

I am lucky enough to have the career I have solely because I work hard and I'm pretty good at only isn't the full picture. I was starting the race with a headstart. Not as much as some, not as little as others, but an advantage non the less. An advantage I'm now passing on to my children, to give them the best shot. It's not fair, and to say all is equitable and it is only down to an individual is not born out by the simple facts.

19 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I like Douglas Murray, good journalist, talks well, obviously some think otherwise, that's opinions for you, but he is always worth listening to.

Yes, speaks well and backed up with certain facts from the report he mentions in the link. Folk can't debate the truths in the report he mentions, so they'll just post utter garbage as always.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Yes, speaks well and backed up with certain facts from the report he mentions in the link. Folk can't debate the truths in the report he mentions, so they'll just post utter garbage as always.

Seems that way.

Good read. 

Perhaps the phrase "nail on head" isn't the right one though.  :)

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Seems that way.

Good read. 

Perhaps the phrase "nail on head" isn't the right one though.  :)

Surprising Lammy didn't want to discuss it either.

Not really.....he'd have been the first race baiting if the report said the opposite.

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I'd rather 'debate' what, away from science, constitutes a 'fact' or 'truth'...

Fact is I grew weary of 'debates' altogether when I was about eighteen...

I'd rather be puerile and post utter shite (not 'garbage' we're not Americans).

I was talking about Lammy, but you responded,.......if the cap fits 😄 🤣 😂 

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Future PM that lad, just allow for a few more bigots to die off, a few more of the gifted and talented from places like Bolton to come of age and relocate to London...

He was doing ok the other year, but has gone off the boil a bit now. Sadly in the wrong party and permanently in the opposition now.