Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

54 minutes ago, kent_white said:

That's a shame because we've just been nominated for an award at the BAME Healthcare Awards. Someone needs to tell them and quick! 😁

The BAME award you've been nominated for is actually the Bummers And Medical Eejits Award.

So no need for a change.

43 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

The English language is free for all to use. If people disagree, they should debate. Nobody should put themselves on a pedestal that allows them to believe they can dictate which words are or are not "acceptable" for use.

We are dealing here with a liberal/woke God complex - people can only use words or opinions that they deem "acceptable.  If you don't play the game then you are a racist/sexist/transphobe .. at the margins/extremist etc.

It is textbook intolerance.

We might not agree on the EU but we agree on this (I think?) 😁

I feel a bit differently about language evolving over time. If society generally decides that terms like 'darkies' or 'paki' should be weeded out, then that's fair enough. It's just the natural evolution of language. 

A committee sitting around and dictating what is and isn't acceptable is where I take issue. Particularly as it was probably a similar committee that dreamed BAME up a couple of years back. 

FWIW - I always thought it was shite terminology, but I've never heard it used in a derogatory sense. Quite the opposite in fact. But I'll await my new acceptable language with baited breath. I hope they don't go for 'people of colour' though. That's massively cringey. 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I feel a bit differently about language evolving over time. If society generally decides that terms like 'darkies' or 'paki' should be weeded out, then that's fair enough. It's just the natural evolution of language. 

A committee sitting around and dictating what is and isn't acceptable is where I take issue. Particularly as it was probably a similar committee that dreamed BAME up a couple of years back. 

FWIW - I always thought it was shite terminology, but I've never heard it used in a derogatory sense. Quite the opposite in fact. But I'll await my new acceptable language with baited breath. I hope they don't go for 'people of colour' though. That's massively cringey. 

"People of Colour" won't cover all minorities, either

Just now, kent_white said:

I still await terms like honkey and cracker to be discussed 

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Very disappointing happenings at Pimlico Academy

Right - so the head has banned massive afros? Presumably for the same reason that they would likely ban 4 foot tall spikes. Namely because people can't see the front of the class?

Pupil - 'Miss I can't see the board because of this girls afro'

Teacher - 'Sorry Johnny but this girl is expressing her identity which is her right as a black woman'

Pupil - 'But I can't see what you've just written'

Teacher - 'Sorry Johnny but this girl is expressing her identity which is her right as a black woman'

Pupil - 'But I'll fail my exams'

The other option is to ask pupils with massive hairdos to sit at the back of the class.

Can you imagine the shitstorm? 😳😳😳

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

People of colour has been used on the bbc. 

Gaslighting- another new one too. There's a certain irony about folk using it too.

Gaslighting is perfect!

Nobody really knows what it actually means and it's general enough that you can apply it to almost any situation with out fear of recrimination. And if somebody does recriminate against you then they're probably gaslighting! 😁

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Right - so the head has banned massive afros? Presumably for the same reason that they would likely ban 4 foot tall spikes. Namely because people can't see the front of the class?

Pupil - 'Miss I can't see the board because of this girls afro'

Pupil - 'But I can't see what you've just written'

Pupil - 'But I'll fail my exams'

The other option is to ask pupils with massive hairdos to sit at the back of the class.

Can you imagine the shitstorm? 😳😳😳

That and what happened at that Yorkshire school, soon you'll be shamed for farting in the wrong key (I'm definitely a Bb major sort of guy)

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

Gaslighting is perfect!

Nobody really knows what it actually means and it's general enough that you can apply it to almost any situation with out fear of recrimination. And if somebody does recriminate against you then they're probably gaslighting! 😁

Just call it for what it really is...bullying, everybody can understand that.

42 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

The BAME award you've been nominated for is actually the Bummers And Medical Eejits Award.

So no need for a change.

Ah - of course! That explains everything. 

I can imagine it though. If we (or whoever) win it - the talk won't be about how we collectively went massively out of our comfort zone to help protect people who were most at risk of complications from COVID because it was the right thing to do. It'll be about whether BAME is the right terminology or not and whether we're 'part of the problem' for even being nominated. Or some such stupid bullshit like that.

Any good work and actual reality will get swallowed up! 

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Ah - of course! That explains everything. 

I can imagine it though. If we (or whoever) win it - the talk won't be about how we collectively went massively out of our comfort zone to help protect people who were most at risk of complications from COVID because it was the right thing to do. It'll be about whether BAME is the right terminology or not and whether we're 'part of the problem' for even being nominated. Or some such stupid bullshit like that.

Any good work and actual reality will get swallowed up! 

Sounds like you are completely fed up with lefty thinking

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Gaslighting is perfect!

Exactly; it's perfect. "My dad's harder than yours... no my dad's harder than yours..." Ad infinitum. 

2 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Just call it for what it really is...bullying, everybody can understand that.

Yeah - but the type of bullying that nobody can see because it's so subtle (or maybe isn't actually happening apart from in someone's head).

It's all worrying the shit out of me at the moment TBH. Tell a generation of kids that they're oppressed and growing up in a system which is inherently stacked against them and it's no wonder shit happens like at this school. 

Then there will be a resistance and an alienation of 'the middle ground' as that report puts it. And pretty soon the middle ground will start to defend its own interests and then that will lead to a society which really is inherently stacked against people from BAME backgrounds. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that. 

Yeah - but the type of bullying that nobody can see because it's so subtle (or maybe isn't actually happening apart from in someone's head).

It's all worrying the shit out of me at the moment TBH. Tell a generation of kids that they're oppressed and growing up in a system which is inherently stacked against them and it's no wonder shit happens like at this school. 

Then there will be a resistance and an alienation of 'the middle ground' as that report puts it. And pretty soon the middle ground will start to defend its own interests and then that will lead to a society which really is inherently stacked against people from BAME backgrounds. Self fulfilling prophecy and all that. 

Feel your pain mate, sometimes I feel I just don't belong in this world anymore

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Spot on. How do we move to a better discourse?