Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

35 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Here we go, this explains it much clearer than I could when writing about ethnicity rather than race and why that is important.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/style-guide/writing-about-ethnicity

That doesn't make any sense. People from a white minority back ground or who are of mixed ethnicity would both come under BAME as 'minority ethnic' surely?

I'm not quite sure how 'ethnic minority' is supposed to work better than 'minority ethnic' - or have I missed something?

24 minutes ago, kent_white said:

That doesn't make any sense. People from a white minority back ground or who are of mixed ethnicity would both come under BAME as 'minority ethnic' surely?

I'm not quite sure how 'ethnic minority' is supposed to work better than 'minority ethnic' - or have I missed something?

Nope. 

The point is minority ethnic isn't well defined enough, its like a big bucket just lumping it every other ethnicity into 'other' which us why BAME isn't a clear defined enough terminology and why it isn't being used as a term as much anymore.

I think its pretty clear, other opinions also available. 

Edited by Not in Crawley

48 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Nope. 

The point is minority ethnic isn't well defined enough, its like a big bucket just lumping it every other ethnicity into 'other' which us why BAME isn't a clear defined enough terminology and why it isn't being used as a term as much anymore.

I think its pretty clear, other opinions also available. 

So 'minority ethnic' isn't well defined enough, but 'ethnic minority' is? I'm glad you find it pretty clear mate. Because I've got no fucking idea 😁

The sooner we stop tying ourselves up in knots over bullshit like this and get on with actually reducing inequalities the better in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

So 'minority ethnic' isn't well defined enough, but 'ethnic minority' is? I'm glad you find it pretty clear mate. Because I've got no fucking idea 😁

The sooner we stop tying ourselves up in knots over bullshit like this and get on with actually reducing inequalities the better in my opinion.

I love it when you 2 squabble

Just now, kent_white said:

I don't think it's divisonist, personally I find it pretty easy, groups want to be self defined by ethnicity, rather than lumped together by race, doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Walk in Brixton and you've got loads of different ethnicities from Nigerian to Jamaican, there is a need for clarity around this as there are different cultural and ethical issues from.cultural to health which under one BAME banner doesn't really help with.

It just lumps.everyone as different, the complex comes from greater understanding which personally I'm all for.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

I love it when you 2 squabble

All good, all healthy. Its all good for people to.reasonably discuss topics like this, even if we don't always agree, it's good to learn more about each other's view.

I just to be called having a chat before social media came along.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

I don't think it's divisonist, personally I find it pretty easy, groups want to be self defined by ethnicity, rather than lumped together by race, doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Walk in Brixton and you've got loads of different ethnicities from Nigerian to Jamaican, there is a need for clarity around this as there are different cultural and ethical issues from.cultural to health which under one BAME banner doesn't really help with.

It just lumps.everyone as different, the complex comes from greater understanding which personally I'm all for.

To be fair - the whole point of the term BAME is to group everyone who's not "White British" together. It doesn't really matter what we call it. 

If you then want to drill down into individual definitions of ethnicity then that's great - and useful work under the right circumstances.

But let's be honest - a lot of the debate is about your life chances in the UK as a someone who's "white british" as opposed to someone who's "non white British". In which case it makes sense to have a term which loosely describes those who are "non white British". Which BAME seemed to be doing quite well till last week. 

PS. I've also yet to meet anybody who's ever batted an eyelid at the term BAME. 

15 minutes ago, kent_white said:

To be fair - the whole point of the term BAME is to group everyone who's not "White British" together. It doesn't really matter what we call it. 

If you then want to drill down into individual definitions of ethnicity then that's great - and useful work under the right circumstances.

But let's be honest - a lot of the debate is about your life chances in the UK as a someone who's "white british" as opposed to someone who's "non white British". In which case it makes sense to have a term which loosely describes those who are "non white British". Which BAME seemed to be doing quite well till last week. 

PS. I've also yet to meet anybody who's ever batted an eyelid at the term BAME. 

Neither had I until 12 months ago, but apparently this is partbof the debate to move away from white/non white because, as you say its a bit too binary and not all ethnic experiences are the same or do people feel the same way about them.

The work I'm doing on EDI is really interesting and we've had a lot of discussions and navigations to cross. Some people do have louder voices in the room and there was an issues that it was being distilled into just race - specifically a black British experience, when diversity and equality has to cover everyone, those under protected characteristics - which includes disability as well as ethnicity - and also those who are not protected characteristics, for example myself as a divorced parent meaning I do need slightly adjusted working hours to ensure I fulfill my duty as a joint carer when the children live in a different city.

I don't think you'd have anyone but the most militant saying please don't use the term BAME, it's a sensitive term that people still use, its just we'll most likely move away from using from such catch all descriptions I would have thought.

8 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Anybody can troll protests all day & selectively post the daftist comments on YouTube to suit your narrative.

Yemeni is a shite journalist & a convicted wife beater. Why anyone would trust his media tactics enough to post on here is beyond me.

Does anyone question sources anymore? We think they have a few good points so we promote their fucked up narrative everywhere.

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Anybody can troll protests all day & selectively post the daftist comments on YouTube to suit your narrative.

Yemeni is a shite journalist & a convicted wife beater. Why anyone would trust his media tactics enough to post on here is beyond me.

Does anyone question sources anymore? We think they have a few good points so we promote their fucked up narrative everywhere.

Aye must agree you could pick out plenty of nobs on FLA, EDL marches etc as well.

Rayguns and stealing our jobs lad springs to mind.

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye must agree you could pick out plenty of nobs on FLA, EDL marches etc as well.

Rayguns and stealing our jobs lad springs to mind.

Aye, works both ways. Classic video that 😁

He's a first class cunt Yemini. Problem is folk who are tired of 'mainstream media' are going even further backwards by looking towards sources like him. 

Some of the best discussions around BLM I've heard recently have been on the radio where they've had a variety of folk in from different backgrounds. Often it's the vocal BLM activist who is told their values don't represent black people by another person of colour. You don't need to find a coked up, wife beating twat on youtube to get that point across. 

13 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Aye, works both ways. Classic video that 😁

He's a first class cunt Yemini. Problem is folk who are tired of 'mainstream media' are going even further backwards by looking towards sources like him. 

Some of the best discussions around BLM I've heard recently have been on the radio where they've had a variety of folk in from different backgrounds. Often it's the vocal BLM activist who is told their values don't represent black people by another person of colour. You don't need to find a coked up, wife beating twat on youtube to get that point across. 

I’m tired of the MSM I don’t go and find sources like him? 

also can you stop repeatedly demonizing all Coke heads. TIA

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

This is indeed correct, though it also applies to many things; like blm too.

Band waggon jumping all over the shop, seems to be pretty much the same group eternally put out by x,y or z. Just need something to complain about or be offended by.

A body has been found that may be that of the missing 19 man from London. 

Be interesting to see if there are mass protests.

54 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’m tired of the MSM I don’t go and find sources like him? 

also can you stop repeatedly demonizing all Coke heads. TIA

Well done. Gold star for you 😁

I'm not pal. I'm sure you're bloody lovely company after a bottle of Bucky and a gram of bing. 

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This is indeed correct, though it also applies to many things; like blm too.

Band waggon jumping all over the shop, seems to be pretty much the same group eternally put out by x,y or z. Just need something to complain about or be offended by.

A body has been found that may be that of the missing 19 man from London. 

Be interesting to see if there are mass protests.

It does 👍

Awful news that. Though it's a very different set of circumstances. The lad was struggling to cope his mother said and left without medication. We don't know yet if anyone else was involved. 

• Site Supporter
On 04/04/2021 at 15:01, Not in Crawley said:

Neither had I until 12 months ago, but apparently this is partbof the debate to move away from white/non white because, as you say its a bit too binary and not all ethnic experiences are the same or do people feel the same way about them.

The work I'm doing on EDI is really interesting and we've had a lot of discussions and navigations to cross. Some people do have louder voices in the room and there was an issues that it was being distilled into just race - specifically a black British experience, when diversity and equality has to cover everyone, those under protected characteristics - which includes disability as well as ethnicity - and also those who are not protected characteristics, for example myself as a divorced parent meaning I do need slightly adjusted working hours to ensure I fulfill my duty as a joint carer when the children live in a different city.

I don't think you'd have anyone but the most militant saying please don't use the term BAME, it's a sensitive term that people still use, its just we'll most likely move away from using from such catch all descriptions I would have thought.

Every application form for a job has this diversity monitoring malarkey.

If we are diverse, why does it matter how you identify, or where you are from etc. 

I do wonder how many jobs I've had my cv passed over, purely as I have a disability.  I once asked what would happen if I left it off, and was told its supplying false information on an application...