Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

10 hours ago, Dimron said:

Maybe I should re-title myself "Well Informed Ron" considering at least 20 organisations and individuals who were listed as stakeholders in the government’s race disparity commission have distanced themselves from the report and its findings.

In my experience "Divers" spend a lot of time blowing bubbles below the surface 😉

😀

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Dimron said:

Maybe I should re-title myself "Well Informed Ron" considering at least 20 organisations and individuals who were listed as stakeholders in the government’s race disparity commission have distanced themselves from the report and its findings.

In my experience "Divers" spend a lot of time blowing bubbles below the surface 😉

Aye lots of people upset by the findings.

Wonder why- maybe I'd didn't go the way they wanted?

Perhaps they're not so independent in their own personal view, or don't agree with aspects of the inquiry for whatever reason. That doesn't make them right though does it?

Folk involved in the inquiry being abused and called racist names from comments on the bbc. Abused by other black people in some cases. Pathetic really, but of course they must be right because they say so. 

7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye lots of people upset by the findings.

Wonder why- maybe I'd didn't go the way they wanted?

Perhaps they're not so independent in their own personal view, or don't agree with aspects of the inquiry for whatever reason. That doesn't make them right though does it?

Folk involved in the inquiry being abused and called racist names from comments on the bbc. Abused by other black people in some cases. Pathetic really, but of course they must be right because they say so. 

Even if it did go the way they wanted what does it actually mean? Who is racist? Employers, doctors, teachers, police, everyone? 

Is Great Britain racist today, 10 or 60 years ago?

Is anyone born in UK tomorrow going to have their path set out by what UK was 15 years ago or 30 years ago or even today?

16 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Even if it did go the way they wanted what does it actually mean? Who is racist? Employers, doctors, teachers, police, everyone? 

Is Great Britain racist today, 10 or 60 years ago?

Is anyone born in UK tomorrow going to have their path set out by what UK was 15 years ago or 30 years ago or even today?

My problem with it all is that we appear to be going backwards. Yes we were definitely racist in the 70s and into the 80s but as we "globalised" our society became more tolerant.

Everything was going in the right direction until austerity came along, poverty and racism go hand in hand.

So I would say in reply all of our gains have been lost by our infatuation with toffee nosed Etonian "leaders" who actually don't give a toss about Ireland, Race and the Environment.

18 minutes ago, Dimron said:

My problem with it all is that we appear to be going backwards. Yes we were definitely racist in the 70s and into the 80s but as we "globalised" our society became more tolerant.

Everything was going in the right direction until austerity came along, poverty and racism go hand in hand.

So I would say in reply all of our gains have been lost by our infatuation with toffee nosed Etonian "leaders" who actually don't give a toss about Ireland, Race and the Environment.

When did we start to go backwards? 

How can austerity effect one race and not  another in the same country? Or do you think its down to the foundations of what migrants never had or had to build up? 

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

How can austerity effect one race and not  another in the same country? Or do you think its down to the foundations of what migrants never had or had to build up? 

Not sure about when it all went into reverse gear but we all seem to be so much less tolerant and tribal these days. The difference between the haves and have nots has grown massively and the migrant population unfortunately tend to be in the have nots.

So many of us have so much but are no happier for it, I recall being so much happier in the 70s/80s but maybe that's because I'm becoming a grumpy old cunt.

2 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

Austerity effects everyone, for better or ill.

I think there is some decent books you'd enjoy and should read.

21 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Not sure about when it all went into reverse gear but we all seem to be so much less tolerant and tribal these days. The difference between the haves and have nots has grown massively and the migrant population unfortunately tend to be in the have nots.

So many of us have so much but are no happier for it, I recall being so much happier in the 70s/80s but maybe that's because I'm becoming a grumpy old cunt.

My Mum and Dad said everyone was happier during the war. They all said that in those days. We, by the way, were the have nots back then. We weren’t migrants.

Edited by Boby Brno

36 minutes ago, Dimron said:

When the Lights Went Out is one of the best social history books I've ever read. Surveys during the three day week showed people's general life contentment actually went up! 

It's a wonderful read, worth a look.

3 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I don't... maybe a book a year if lucky.

Everyone should, not being a bore but it's worth it - make sure its something you enjoy and you'll find time. 

Everyone is busy, but an hour before bed, lunch if you get one, couple of hours whilst the kids are watching a film?

My fav is when the other half is out for the night, some decent music on, sofa to myself and an hour or two to myself.

Edited by Not in Crawley

5 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

I don't... maybe a book a year if lucky. Might do a spider and keep it next to the shitter. 

Watch TV?

Listen I'm lucky, I have to read for my job and I get paid for afternoons to go and see things and read about stuff. I get that I'm very lucky, but maybe phone off and crack a spine might give a broader perspective - although I understand its hard to find writers like Lucy Most Juicy everyday 😉

Edited by Not in Crawley

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

When the Lights Went Out is one of the best social history books I've ever read. Surveys during the three day week showed people's general life contentment actually went up! 

Mm. no it didn’t. Don’t know where that survey was taken but in the working class suburbs of down town Bolton and it’s like, it was pretty dire. No furlough in those days. 

6 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Mm. no it didn’t. Don’t know where that survey was taken but in the working class suburbs of down town Bolton and it’s like, it was pretty dire. No furlough in those days. 

True it was based in Essex- around Barking as well, but what it was showing that it wasn't the same.everywhere for everyone.

8 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Watch TV?

Listen I'm lucky, I have to read for my job and I get paid for afternoons to go and see things and read about stuff. I get that I'm very lucky, but maybe phone off and crack a spine might give a broader perspective - although I understand its hard to find writers like Lucy Most Juicy everyday 😉

Her content got mixed reviews... Cari Most Creamy is top apparently 😉

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'll pass given the fact that I'm calling a massive bollocks on that survey. 

3 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

And before you ask.....it was v Southampton on a Wednesday afternoon 😃 

I know, but it was pot luck if you were off that week, I went up Carlisle for a day out.☺️

Edited by leigh white

Just now, leigh white said:

I know, but it was pot luck if your were off that week, I went up Carlisle for a day out.☺️

My dad went but I was just a nipper in the junior school at St Bede's. Great crowd though for an afternoon game in midweek. Just shows the beauty of the FA Cup in those days and how television has spoilt it these days.