Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

BLM

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm completely fed up with some aspects of liberal thinking. I don't think it's as simple as right or left.

When liberal thinking drifts down its own worm hole of almost perpetual self punishment and spits you out the other end scared of saying boo to a goose for fear of being seen as offensive or guilty of an ism.

Not healthy to keep beating yourself up for a thought or a word.

Listen to the birds, enjoy the sun and the colour of a freshly opened tulip.

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Spot on. How do we move to a better discourse?

Right off the bat I'd say - stop with the sensationalism. Let's have an honest appraisal of where we're up to as a country. Which is what I believe this most recent report was in general. 

Second is recognise that the working classes need to be part of this conversation. As it's white working class people that have experienced the arse end of immigration into the UK generally speaking. 

Thirdly is that everyone should be treated equally under the eyes of the law. Special dispensation for certain groups, political or otherwise should not be happening. 

Fourth is to really work on where there are pockets of deprivation. That's where I've always thought real inequality stems from.

Fifth is that we all need to get better about calling out overt or sly racism when we see it. And only something racist when it's demonstrably so.

Sixth would be to start teaching the real story of the empire 'warts and all' the kids in school. You can't understand modern Britain without understanding our collective past.

That would be my starter for ten. Or six at least! 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When liberal thinking drifts down its own worm hole of almost perpetual self punishment and spits you out the other end scared of saying boo to a goose for fear of being seen as offensive or guilty of an ism.

Not healthy to keep beating yourself up for a thought or a word.

Listen to the birds, enjoy the sun and the colour of a freshly opened tulip.

I'm worried that that tulip is a consequence of my white privilege! 😁

9 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

EFA.

1) Can't argue with that

2) I had to ask our neighbour for our ball back this afternoon after I booted it into their garden 'ave it style, whilst trying to emulate JJ's (peace be upon him) free kick against Villa

3) M&S do some quality slacks nowadays. And shoes. 

4) I hope you're taking the piss 😳

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I'm worried that that tulip is a consequence of my white privilege! 😁

Haha.

Remember it came about as a result of a regeneration of a wealthy individual's garden. Money made on the back of other people's scrap cars; how terrible is that! :)

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Right - so the head has banned massive afros? Presumably for the same reason that they would likely ban 4 foot tall spikes. Namely because people can't see the front of the class?

Pupil - 'Miss I can't see the board because of this girls afro'

Teacher - 'Sorry Johnny but this girl is expressing her identity which is her right as a black woman'

Pupil - 'But I can't see what you've just written'

Teacher - 'Sorry Johnny but this girl is expressing her identity which is her right as a black woman'

Pupil - 'But I'll fail my exams'

The other option is to ask pupils with massive hairdos to sit at the back of the class.

Can you imagine the shitstorm? 😳😳😳

2 things..

Got a year 8 group where 2 of them are taller than me, hair makes feck all difference..

Seen a few kids with any Winehouse style beehives and top buns.. 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Right off the bat I'd say - stop with the sensationalism. Let's have an honest appraisal of where we're up to as a country. Which is what I believe this most recent report was in general. 

Second is recognise that the working classes need to be part of this conversation. As it's white working class people that have experienced the arse end of immigration into the UK generally speaking. 

Thirdly is that everyone should be treated equally under the eyes of the law. Special dispensation for certain groups, political or otherwise should not be happening. 

Fourth is to really work on where there are pockets of deprivation. That's where I've always thought real inequality stems from.

Fifth is that we all need to get better about calling out overt or sly racism when we see it. And only something racist when it's demonstrably so.

Sixth would be to start teaching the real story of the empire 'warts and all' the kids in school. You can't understand modern Britain without understanding our collective past.

That would be my starter for ten. Or six at least! 

I agree. It's very important to be able to recognise benign ignorance from malice. I think intent is key.

2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

2 things..

Got a year 8 group where 2 of them are taller than me, hair makes feck all difference..

Seen a few kids with any Winehouse style beehives and top buns.. 

You can't ask a kid to stop being tall as part of your uniform policy though can you! 

If I was a headmaster I would be implementing a uniform policy that didn't prevent anybody from seeing the board. Whatever that haircut might look like - and whoever it belonged to.

• Site Supporter
Just now, kent_white said:

You can't ask a kid to stop being tall as part of your uniform policy though can you! 

If I was a headmaster I would be implementing a uniform policy that didn't prevent anybody from seeing the board. Whatever that haircut might look like - and whoever it belonged to.

That's kindof what I was trying to get to.

I've not had a kid complain over hair, just from bigger kuds in front.  How much of a problem must tall hair be for a head to put his head above the parapet and ban extreme haircuts 

16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

1) Can't argue with that

2) I had to ask our neighbour for our ball back this afternoon after I booted it into their garden 'ave it style, whilst trying to emulate JJ's (peace be upon him) free kick against Villa

3) M&S do some quality slacks nowadays. And shoes. 

4) I hope you're taking the piss 😳

4. I was, but after reading your update of Mein Kampf (above) now I'm not so sure.

I don't give a shit about a changing world - I'm so pure of heart and mind I know I'll be reet. 😉

I find it all amusing, as Royal White points out, some of the biggest arguments regarding terminology are amongst the terms.

I love 'manholes to be banned' type stuff as it seems to enrage the right sort of people.

When lockdown's over you need to have a September Song wid da kidz - dust off your sunglasses and get to a club, plenty bananas for the day after in.

20 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Or sit them at the back and save a lot of silly bother.

They should've spent more time weeding out the nonce teachers at my school, instead of wasting time persecuting the handful of grebs or lads who liked a bic'ed head or tramlines etc.

9 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

4. I was, but after reading your update of Mein Kampf (above) now I'm not so sure

I can't tell if you're being serious or not - but if you are then you've either completely misunderstood or I've not articulated it very well!

Maybe a bit of both.

If we lived in a perfect world there'd be no need for aggravated consideration to be considered in regard to crimes or protected characteristics in regard to education etc. but we don't so there is [a need].

It's no good thinking "well I'm not a bigot so why should I..."

As most bigots probably don't even consider themselves bigots.

I had an acquaintance years back who was an unrepentant racist toward folk of Pakistani origins.

He didn't pussyfoot around and decorate his prejudice with fancy embellishments - he wore it out there and proud.

Now I wouldn't say I respected him, in fact I hated the cunt but he was a useful contact (then) so I was an arch-hypocrite and ignored that aspect of his persona.

I've lost my train of thought now, where was I...

Oh aye, the servant who had clean hands was the thief, because he was the only one who mustn't have touched the crow.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Maybe a bit of both.

If we lived in a perfect world there'd be no need for aggravated consideration to be considered in regard to crimes or protected characteristics in regard to education etc. but we don't so there is [a need].

It's no good thinking "well I'm not a bigot so why should I..."

As most bigots probably don't even consider themselves bigots.

I had an acquaintance years back who was an unrepentant racist toward folk of Pakistani origins.

He didn't pussyfoot around and decorate his prejudice with fancy embellishments - he wore it out there and proud.

Now I wouldn't say I respected him, in fact I hated the cunt but he was a useful contact (then) so I was an arch-hypocrite and ignored that aspect of his persona.

I've lost my train of thought now, where was I...

Oh aye, the servant who had clean hands was the thief, because he was the only one who mustn't have touched the crow.

When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. 

13 hours ago, kent_white said:

We might not agree on the EU but we agree on this (I think?) 😁

I feel a bit differently about language evolving over time. If society generally decides that terms like 'darkies' or 'paki' should be weeded out, then that's fair enough. It's just the natural evolution of language. 

A committee sitting around and dictating what is and isn't acceptable is where I take issue. Particularly as it was probably a similar committee that dreamed BAME up a couple of years back. 

FWIW - I always thought it was shite terminology, but I've never heard it used in a derogatory sense. Quite the opposite in fact. But I'll await my new acceptable language with baited breath. I hope they don't go for 'people of colour' though. That's massively cringey. 

I agree on all that. What I would say is that the browbeating in this area has now reached very shrill levels. That evolution that you describe will always be there, that's the natural and organic change in any society. The self-appointed arbiters of language and value are very sinister however. These virtue signallers exist everywhere and they need opposing otherwise the incremental and cumulative effects of their grim attempts to proscribe basic freedoms will succeed. I think the previously silent majority are on to this now and the agitators no longer have it all their own way.

16 hours ago, kent_white said:

Out of interest - what am I supposed to be saying now instead? 

You can say anything you want that's not derogatory, that's the point. The issue with BAME was that it was being used as a catch all for anyone who wasn't white British, which even as an acronym doesn't work. 

It's unhelpful in that it pushes anyone who is other than WB into a similarly constrictive box which is why the government won't use it in their reports/language. Just go in government.uk its all on there.

It's not about social engineering, it's about using terminology people from those groups would.like to be referred to generally and not lump say second generation Greek immigrants with British Jamican which was happening with BAME.