Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

After the pretty much constant downward spiral of the last 10 years, I was always happy with the idea this season of steadying the ship and being top half this season, challenging for promotion next. Pompey, Argyle and Bradford are proof enough that big sides at this level don't escape this division easily.

Those quotes from Barrows forum at least suggest that things arent as bad as they may seem right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

Starting to get on my tits now this fucking idiot. Weve heard it all before pal. The only issue with our performances is you trying make a gaggle of spastics play like barca-fucking-lona.

And to think when we were in the lower reaches of the champ and in L1 some on here had us believe the Calibre of players we had were unable to play short sharp passing like this.    yet you’ve

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Another interesting question is are we willing to alter our expectations? I imagine opinion will be split. 

What is unquestionable is that nobody predicted as poor a start as this.

So were we the fans, Evatt, the players all wrong to expect promotion this season?

Easy with hindsight, but for me it probably was wrong. Other than being Bolton Wanderers, we didn’t have a base, foundation, philosophy or  collective experience to make a case for promotion.

The transitional changes we’ve had to make, (above and beyond injuries, Covid, etc), throwing a squad together of players who were free transfers/loans, with a new manager, coaching team, relatively new inexperienced owners with a plan to do things differently, surely means we have to alter our expectations.

I’m happy for the manager and players to come out and say they still believe they can do it. And I’m not completely writing this off, but it would take a drastic turn in form/results.

IMO we have to back the process, accept it might not be promotion this season. The board, the manager, the squad, the players are learning through this experience, as difficult as it might be to accept, as fans, lowering our expectations might be the only way to accept that this is a long term project that may take more than one season in the bottom tier.

As things stand I’d take top 10, keeping a distant sniff of the play-offs which could, if things take a decent turn after Christmas keep the dream alive...

Yes I was caught up in the pre-season optimism as we had a new manager and completely new team.

I've lowered my expectations to mid-table but we must be showing signs of really getting it together in the second half of the season.

I still believe Evatt will get it right but it is going to take much longer than I thought.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem as I see it is that Evatt has a plan but not the players to realise his way of playing.Main issue for me is left wingback & centre midfield. Kioso is of the right calibre down the right but still requires quick delivery from our currently pedestrian midfield.

Defensively we are indecisive & nervous .A back four solution maybe the answer in the short term .No reason at all not to play Kioso further up the park he would at least win his fair share of headers which would be an improvement on our zero ball winning up the park.

Santos could have licence to go on the odd foray & the security of fullbacks might steady the ship.Both  Baptiste & Comley need to be benched , Taft & the other fella can’t be worse than Baptiste who had a hand in two of the Barrow goals.

Tutte at least wants the ball & seems capable of playing diagonal passes.

We need another goalkeeping option as well .Got to be some decent goalies out there not contracted if Alexander isn’t up to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Problem as I see it is that Evatt has a plan but not the players to realise his way of playing.Main issue for me is left wingback & centre midfield. Kioso is of the right calibre down the right but still requires quick delivery from our currently pedestrian midfield.

Defensively we are indecisive & nervous .A back four solution maybe the answer in the short term .No reason at all not to play Kioso further up the park he would at least win his fair share of headers which would be an improvement on our zero ball winning up the park.

Santos could have licence to go on the odd foray & the security of fullbacks might steady the ship.Both  Baptiste & Comley need to be benched , Taft & the other fella can’t be worse than Baptiste who had a hand in two of the Barrow goals.

Tutte at least wants the ball & seems capable of playing diagonal passes.

We need another goalkeeping option as well .Got to be some decent goalies out there not contracted if Alexander isn’t up to it.

Pretty much agree with all you said we need to go either 422 or even 433. Baptiste needs dropping completly 

Left back is our main concern,...Delaney could play there, but would weaken us in the centre maybe drafting Taft in could be a option.

Howard signed for Scunthorpe earlier today, chance missed there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Problem as I see it is that Evatt has a plan but not the players to realise his way of playing.Main issue for me is left wingback & centre midfield. Kioso is of the right calibre down the right but still requires quick delivery from our currently pedestrian midfield.

Defensively we are indecisive & nervous .A back four solution maybe the answer in the short term .No reason at all not to play Kioso further up the park he would at least win his fair share of headers which would be an improvement on our zero ball winning up the park.

Santos could have licence to go on the odd foray & the security of fullbacks might steady the ship.Both  Baptiste & Comley need to be benched , Taft & the other fella can’t be worse than Baptiste who had a hand in two of the Barrow goals.

Tutte at least wants the ball & seems capable of playing diagonal passes.

We need another goalkeeping option as well .Got to be some decent goalies out there not contracted if Alexander isn’t up to it.

Good post, cant argue with any of that.  Personally I cant even look at where we might finish, the urgency is what's going to happen next week or the week after.  Its all about how long it takes IE to get his team looking like a team. Most of the points that get repeated ad nauseam on here have been there since day one - goalkeeper, wingbacks, Comley, Baptiste, Sarcevic etc, nothing seems to have changed, we can dream of getting ourselves up the table but not until such time that the manager gets something like his best team on the park and they are playing near to their potential individually and collectively.  Whether that happens next week or next year, I'll start hoping for success at that point instead of watching games through clenched hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quotes from IE today on Crellin: "There were a million and one options to bring a goalkeeper in and I chose him to be our No 1......I don't put a keeper on the bench because of the faith I have in him".  It feels like he chose him and nothing is going to budge him from that decision, we are talking about a 20 year old, he's not brought in a proven experienced keeper in his late 20s that's had a couple of below par games, as they all do.  Its not about whether he'll be good enough to be an EFL keeper over the next 15 years, IE doesn't seem to be addressing whether he is good enough right now to play 46 league games in the most important position in the team.  And the sub keeper thing becomes more bizarre, we could have Jussi in his prime in goal but we'd still have a sub keeper for that once or twice a season when he gets injured or sent off - why would he think that having a sub keeper equates to not having 100% trust in your No 1?  It just looks odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Quotes from IE today on Crellin: "There were a million and one options to bring a goalkeeper in and I chose him to be our No 1......I don't put a keeper on the bench because of the faith I have in him".  It feels like he chose him and nothing is going to budge him from that decision, we are talking about a 20 year old, he's not brought in a proven experienced keeper in his late 20s that's had a couple of below par games, as they all do.  Its not about whether he'll be good enough to be an EFL keeper over the next 15 years, IE doesn't seem to be addressing whether he is good enough right now to play 46 league games in the most important position in the team.  And the sub keeper thing becomes more bizarre, we could have Jussi in his prime in goal but we'd still have a sub keeper for that once or twice a season when he gets injured or sent off - why would he think that having a sub keeper equates to not having 100% trust in your No 1?  It just looks odd.

How many times do keepers get subbed? I never use a sub keeper on champ man. I see his logic. Looks daft if it goes tits up but it hasn’t yet so no issue for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a clue, there will be stats somewhere, but both Edison and Allyson were injured during games last season for City and Liverpool and subbed.  Fair enough if there's 10 minutes or less to go, as you might have made all 3 subs anyway, but if its in 1st 10 minutes not only would we weaken the keeper position by putting in, say, Delaney, we'd then probably make another sub to put a defender in his place, and you've weakened 2 positions in one go.  Might never happen but it would be annoying if it did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tomski said:

How many times do keepers get subbed? I never use a sub keeper on champ man. I see his logic. Looks daft if it goes tits up but it hasn’t yet so no issue for me.

It’s not about being subbed though is it? A goalie can get injured or sent off at any stage of the game. Why take an unnecessary risk?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember our 1st prem season under fat Sam. Put a team out with no sub keeper.

Jussi (?) got sent off VERY early on.

Almost as if the referee couldn't wait to get the red card out 🤔.

Newcastle at home, I think.

Be careful, refs can be cunts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

Remember our 1st prem season under fat Sam. Put a team out with no sub keeper.

Jussi (?) got sent off VERY early on.

Almost as if the referee couldn't wait to get the red card out 🤔.

Newcastle at home, I think.

Be careful, refs can be cunts.

Yeah Bo Hansen went in goal. Shearer still celebrated when he scored past him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Well that jinxed it, he'll get injured in the pre-game warm up now! 😂

Every fucker keeps highlighting we’ve no spare keeper if he gets sent off or injured so I’m just putting the positivity out there, whilst anticipating the ridicule when it goes tits up 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.