Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

1 hour ago, tomski said:

We are easy to carve open and we seem to have to work hard to score. For me that’s not a good combo. I don’t think their keeper made a save yesterday. We have some decent players up top and they barely get a sniff. Walsall barely had to work up a sweat to our score us.

Agree - just not giving Doyle enough chances.

he wants the ball on the floor to run on to, I lost count of how many cross field Hollywood balls we did yesterday.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

Hugh, you are completely and utterly wrong. im actually embarrassed for u, I don’t care if u been supporting us since 1975, you are talking absolute Shyte!    I cannot believe that you fee

I am now having genuine reservations with Evatt. The job was not as hard as people have made out.

When he joined the club i think he had 8 players who you would class as first team squad players.

Doyle, Sarcevic ,Politic, Delaney. Crawford ,Darcy ,Edwards, Brockbank maybe add Sonny Graham/Senior to that list.

Edwards and Politic have not featured through injury.

First mistake he did was not get a decent keeper in. Crellin i never understood from day one. If he excelled and played well we may have lost him in January or we certainly would have been back to square one in the summer.

He had a National league managers mentality in recruitment.The players either came from the national league or had played with him at Blackpool/Chesterfield Barrow.

Second major error was the first game of the season against FGR. Not one player from last season started the game

This was despite spending 6 weeks working and training these players.

He harps on about his beliefs and how he wont change his system.....Fine if you have the players to play your expansive football. Brockbank and Jones are NOT lwb/hybrids or whatever term he wants to call them.

Teams have worked us out. They invite us on to them,then knock it wide down the channels.....Orient did it then Vale.

At this time we Simply do not have the players to play this system. He needs to play horses for courses until he has a decent footballing keeper and decent wing backs. Until then he should go 442

I like Evatts way of management ,holds nothing back,but by christ he has made some howlers. If he learns from them alls good but at this time the jury is out for me

• Members
14 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

He had a National league managers mentality in recruitment.The players either came from the national league or had played with him at Blackpool/Chesterfield Barrow.

To be fair to him, and according to the folk on this forum who attend and support non-league football, there’s not a massive difference between the top non-league clubs and those in EFL2. The difference is that the footballers only play football and don’t have to spend all week plumbing or decorating, etc.

Therefore if you play in the fourth tier of the football league then surely the fifth tier is about the level of player we would affordable recruit. 

39 minutes ago, MickyD said:

To be fair to him, and according to the folk on this forum who attend and support non-league football, there’s not a massive difference between the top non-league clubs and those in EFL2. The difference is that the footballers only play football and don’t have to spend all week plumbing or decorating, etc.

Therefore if you play in the fourth tier of the football league then surely the fifth tier is about the level of player we would affordable recruit. 

The 8/9 players who were already here on the day he walked in the building are  still our best players.

He Added 20 more players out of these i would say Santos, Tutte, Jones, Delfounso and Isgrove are lge 2 standard. The rest are simply not good enough

Edited by masi 51
1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

I am now having genuine reservations with Evatt. The job was not as hard as people have made out.

When he joined the club i think he had 8 players who you would class as first team squad players.

Doyle, Sarcevic ,Politic, Delaney. Crawford ,Darcy ,Edwards, Brockbank maybe add Sonny Graham/Senior to that list.

First mistake he did was not get a decent keeper in. Crellin i never understood from day one. If he excelled and played well we may have lost him in January or we certainly would have been back to square one in the summer.

Second major error was the first game of the season against FGR. Not one player from last season started the game

He harps on about his beliefs and how he wont change his system.....Fine if you have the players to play your expansive football. Brockbank and Jones are NOT lwb/hybrids or whatever term he wants to call them.

Teams have worked us out. They invite us on to them,then knock it wide down the channels.....Orient did it then Vale.

At this time we Simply do not have the players to play this system. He needs to play horses for courses until he has a decent footballing keeper and decent wing backs. Until then he should go 442

I like Evatts way of management ,holds nothing back,but by christ he has made some howlers. If he learns from them alls good but at this time the jury is out for me

Excellent post exactly what I am thinking .

Excellently put totally where I’m at the goalkeeper situation was a massive cock up but at least that’s been addressed.

Still plenty to play and the league is wide open my concern is that a mid table finish won’t go down well with getting fans on board next season

not finishing in the top 7 is a failure 

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Excellently put totally where I’m at the goalkeeper situation was a massive cock up but at least that’s been addressed.

Still plenty to play and the league is wide open my concern is that a mid table finish won’t go down well with getting fans on board next season

not finishing in the top 7 is a failure 

Not getting promoted would be a massive failure

2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Just cutting him a little slack😀

but yes it would be failure and extremely disappointing 

The league is so poor, I am genuinely stunned at how many games we’ve lost so far.

I can't see even the playoffs .Looking for improvement the second half of the season is where I'm at.

Don't know if Evatt is the right choice but no improvement after the Jan window will undoubtedly damage him.

Bottom line for me this season  is keeping us out of the bottom six.

34 minutes ago, tomski said:

Not getting promoted would be a massive failure

Well if not promotion, then certainly not ending up with a team we'd confident would shit the division next year (when things are back to normal and we can have some cracking trips) would be a failure. All things considered we'll survive being in the division next year as just the sheer novelty of normality would help. But any more than one more season down in the 4th and we're fucked.

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Still think the manager will get it right.

We will go up.

its not hard to get it right. Unfortunatly we have no football playing Goalkeeper, Defensive Midfielder or Lwb

Until this is sorted be it players returning or the January window we need to go 442

Our best 11 wouldn't be far off getting us up this season, but the injury to Tutte has shown how thin our squad is........an injury to Doyle could be disastrous. I'm not blaming IE for that, it would have been a miracle to effectively build an entire playing squad with no money, in one window.

If we don't scrape up this season, i'd still stick with Evatt through next season & would expect to see real progress by then after 3 more transfer windows.

3 hours ago, masi 51 said:

The 8/9 players who were already here on the day he walked in the building are  still our best players.

He Added 20 more players out of these i would say Santos, Tutte, Jones, Delfounso and Isgrove are lge 2 standard. The rest are simply not good enough

Agree with your post but you missed out Doyle or do you not rate him ? 
I think the forward two with the right service score plenty 

3 hours ago, masi 51 said:

its not hard to get it right. Unfortunatly we have no football playing Goalkeeper, Defensive Midfielder or Lwb

Until this is sorted be it players returning or the January window we need to go 442

Correct.  Frustrating that the system, which is dodgy at the best of times unless you are an elite team that can dominate games, is weakened further by being rigidly stuck to whether we have the players or not.  He could sign the right players in Jan and win 5 on the bounce and all the doubters will be criticised, but how about maximising the squad now, rather than from February?

Re the footballing goalkeeper - its great that we don't have one.  I don't want our keeper to be one of those presenting chances to the opposition like we see every single week on TV.  Long live Gilkes as 1st choice.

I hear what your saying but unfortunatly Evatt is seeing things as Black and White.

Why he cannot see that he does not have the players to play 352 is beyond me. He may as well send Crellin and White back to there clubs they wont play for Bolton again. Comley, Gordon, Mascoll and Taff  are 4 more who Evatt overlooks.

Though i think Taff can feel a little unlucky. Greenidge, Hickman, Arthur and maybe Miller need moving on whatever league we are in next season.

Whatever system we play we have a lot of deadwood

I hear what your saying but unfortunatly Evatt is seeing things as Black and White.

Why he cannot see that he does not have the players to play 352 is beyond me. He may as well send Crellin and White back to there clubs they wont play for Bolton again. Comley, Gordon, Mascoll and Taff  are 4 more who Evatt overlooks.

Though i think Taff can feel a little unlucky. Greenidge, Hickman, Arthur and maybe Miller need moving on whatever league we are in next season.

Whatever system we play we have a lot of deadwood

What we have are a load of squad fillers, probably some desperation signings, tbf Sonny Graham would be the best bet, he's certainly better than White and Comley, Darcy is destined for the bench permanently unless he scores 2 in the 5-10 minutes he has on the field. Hickman looked lively enough but he seems to have gone off the radar. 

We require 5 decent players in January to challengefor promotion, GK, LB, CB, Centre Mid and another Striker. Unfortunately I think it will be 2 or 3, with a GK definitely 1.

• Site Supporter

I'm quite happy for Evatt to stick to his plan, I've seen enough to suggest they can do it, but will come unstuck along the way 

Chatting to an Oldham mate the other day, they're pissed off because Kewell changes line up and tactics every week and won't stick to what works when they win

We could just as easily end up in that situation

Edited by ZicoKelly

😬

A big January transfer window ahead.

For what it's worth, I think it'd have been difficult to put together a promotion winning squad in one summer working under the restrictions we were working under.

Our best eleven is good, but we've very little behind them. That's quite a big problem.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

What we have are a load of squad fillers, probably some desperation signings, tbf Sonny Graham would be the best bet, he's certainly better than White and Comley, Darcy is destined for the bench permanently unless he scores 2 in the 5-10 minutes he has on the field. Hickman looked lively enough but he seems to have gone off the radar. 

We require 5 decent players in January to challengefor promotion, GK, LB, CB, Centre Mid and another Striker. Unfortunately I think it will be 2 or 3, with a GK definitely 1.

Sonny graham wont be playing any time soon, imo