Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

Hugh, you are completely and utterly wrong. im actually embarrassed for u, I don’t care if u been supporting us since 1975, you are talking absolute Shyte!    I cannot believe that you fee

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I never said he would, merely stated he is better than white or Comley, unless Graham is out on loan, apologies.

I'm not sure he is. Granted, it was a league above, but he looked absolutely miles off last season.

He's not been recalled from Bamber Bridge either.

53 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I'm quite happy for Evatt to stick to his plan, I've seen enough to suggest they can do it, but will come unstuck along the way 

Chatting to an Oldham mate the other day, they're pissed off because Kewell changes line up and tactics every week and won't stick to what works when they win

We could just as easily end up in that situation

Hopefully with the Transfer window he can bring in some players more adept at playing this style and  we don't fall away too much more in the meantime.

My main concern is his stubbornness during games in which he seems in the main to be against altering the shape or tactics regardless of the situation on the pitch . 

Edited by dusan nikolic
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure he is. Granted, it was a league above, but he looked absolutely miles off last season.

He's not been recalled from Bamber Bridge either.

Would be interested to find out from the Bamber Bridge fans (about 65 of them) which one was the best performer for them, Thomason or Graham ?

4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Darcy is destined for the bench permanently unless he scores 2 in the 5-10 minutes he has on the field.

Hickman looked lively enough but he seems to have gone off the radar. 

Darcy, & I accept I maybe one of us with a bit too much faith in him, remains unfairly sidelined. If Crawford needs a rest then the kid should be given a run. He's let no-one down when he has been played. 

Hickman. Brought in with the reputation as difficult. Played extremely capably from the outset & looked, in the mess that was our first half dozen games, a bit of a find. One weakness was his crossing, having done all the hard work to get there. In his final match he was picked out as being wasteful & not been seen since. I wonder if he got lippy or difficult ? But we don't have enough decent players to ostracise one who looked worth working on.

I'm hoping it's not Evatt being too quick to dismiss. I fear so however.

15 hours ago, masi 51 said:

When he joined the club i think he had 8 players who you would class as first team squad players.

Doyle, Sarcevic ,Politic, Delaney. Crawford ,Darcy ,Edwards, Brockbank maybe add Sonny Graham/Senior to that list.

Edwards and Politic have not featured through injury.

Doyle & Sarcevic signed after Evatt arrived. 
Crawford has been a massive disappointment
Politic & Edwards have been unavailable.

So, the criticism is that he's underused Brockbank (now injured), Delaney (now a regular) & Darcy?

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Darcy, & I accept I maybe one of us with a bit too much faith in him, remains unfairly sidelined. If Crawford needs a rest then the kid should be given a run. He's let no-one down when he has been played. 

Hickman. Brought in with the reputation as difficult. Played extremely capably from the outset & looked, in the mess that was our first half dozen games, a bit of a find. One weakness was his crossing, having done all the hard work to get there. In his final match he was picked out as being wasteful & not been seen since. I wonder if he got lippy or difficult ? But we don't have enough decent players to ostracise one who looked worth working on.

I'm hoping it's not Evatt being too quick to dismiss. I fear so however.

aye, odd one Hickman, looked decent enough to me

did alright when we played Newcastle, but not even getting on the bench these days

maybe he's still a little cunt

11 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, odd one Hickman, looked decent enough to me

did alright when we played Newcastle, but not even getting on the bench these days

maybe he's still a little cunt

Maybe that's what's missing on the pitch, cunts, right proper cunts.

7 hours ago, Traf said:

Centre mid type of cunt?

Karl Henry type cunt, and one that scores a few goals. We haven't had one of them in a long time.

Remember when Nolan, Stelios, Taylor, Campo, Speed, Greaves, Sneekes amongst others used to weigh in with a few.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Karl Henry type cunt, and one that scores a few goals. We haven't had one of them in a long time.

Remember when Nolan, Stelios, Taylor, Campo, Speed, Greaves, Sneekes amongst others used to weigh in with a few.

In his time, Darby was just that player. Put a tackle in, let others do the creating, and get in the box to get on the end of things.

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In his time, Darby was just that player. Put a tackle in, let others do the creating, and get in the box to get on the end of things.

Sarcevic should get double figures, but he isn't a centre midfielder, more a number 10...ish

6 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Change of job title

now manager 

Predictable but welcome news , player selection now down to Evatt, notwithstanding tight budget .

Might not be able to ship out the ones he doesn’t rate in January so it’s going to be difficult for him , but at least he doesn’t have the baggage of an alternative or contrary opinion.

22 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Change of job title

now manager 

... Its starting to look a lot like .... a proper football club again 

There's a decent article here - 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11672/12164397/ian-evatt-interview-the-manager-turning-bolton-back-in-the-right-direction

includes some telling comments on his philosophy - 

"I've learned that I really have to believe in the way I want to play and to stick to it, because you do get challenging times," he says. "I had them this season, and I had them at Barrow, too. I lost six on the spin at one stage, and when we won the league we only had seven points from nine games.

"When you have doubts and are asking yourself whether or not you need to change, the answer is 'no'. You need to have more belief and to back yourself in what you're doing. What we've seen in recent weeks is that if you get better at what you do, things will change and change quickly."

Sounds like Evatt will be targeting and signing the players from now on and that's the way it should be imo, wonder how many of this summer signings were made by TP? Think Evatt will be a busy bee in January, he'll be trying to offload the deadwood TP signed and bring in his own players.

5 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

... Its starting to look a lot like .... a proper football club again 

There's a decent article here - 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11672/12164397/ian-evatt-interview-the-manager-turning-bolton-back-in-the-right-direction

includes some telling comments on his philosophy - 

Good article that explains a lot of our frustrations.

I'm sold. I think he's the right man at this stage in our development from a bust club to an upper league 1/ championship club.

• 2 weeks later...

The most pleasing thing today is that the players are playing for Evatt and they are playing for each other. They keep fighting to the last minute and never give up.

He picked the side the majority of us thought was the strongest. 

He’s rewarded players for good performances/potential (Thomason) 

Regardless of whether you agree or not, the players are buying into his non negotiables.

Carlisle will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season, as will Cheltenham, as will Cambridge as will Salford - we’ve looked like we can compete against the best in this league.

The frustration is the consistency. It must frustrate Evatt more than us that they start as badly as they do, that players like Santos and Fonz look like different players from game to game (minute to minute!). 

But that’s where we are unfortunately. That’s what work in progress looks like. Frustrating but flashes of potential that could lead us to the promised land.

Keep the faith

COYW

• Site Supporter

Two main things, when on top we dont create/score often enough generally. 

We most certainly don't press and win the ball back quickly as we were going to be doing. 

However, we're far from out of it and starting to pick up points against teams high up in the league. 

Improve consistency and who knows.