Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

struggling to find a diplomatic response but I've managed.... Fuck off you cock

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Needs a window. Bring his own men in who can adapt to his philosophy.

Im glad the fans arent there.

Itll be reet folks.

Is it the end of the season when we can start to pay money for players again?

That's when I'll really be judging what his recruitment is like.

He's talked the talk, and I've backed him to the hilt, so it's the first time this season I'm doubting him, merely out of frustration. Results matter, but I would cut him some slack if the performances matched his talk.

I just hope we haven't got another Freedman on our hands, the man who promised entertaining football with a young new breed, but ended up bringing in a load of ex-Palace rejects including that cunt Moxey!

Lets win at home to Morcambe on Monday including putting in a good performance and let's get things back on track, the ghost of Trampmere is still haunting me!

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

He's talked the talk, and I've backed him to the hilt, so it's the first time this season I'm doubting him, merely out of frustration. Results matter, but I would cut him some slack if the performances matched his talk.

I just hope we haven't got another Freedman on our hands, the man who promised entertaining football with a young new breed, but ended up bringing in a load of ex-Palace rejects including that cunt Moxey!

Lets win at home to Morcambe on Monday including putting in a good performance and let's get things back on track, the ghost of Trampmere is still haunting me!

Relax. We’ve thrown so many players together in a short space of time, there is no foundations there.

I hear his interviews, I see the players he has on trial. He see’s our problems.

He’ll get it right. Maybe not this season but imo, if we hold our nerve, he’ll prove to be a quality manager

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Everyone on here thought pretty much the same

We were pleased to have a positive coach, nowt wrong with that.

However, its not quite lived up to what he said it would.

That said, with no players, and no ability to pay fees, perhaps we all need a reality check. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Relax. We’ve thrown so many players together in a short space of time, there is no foundations there.

I hear his interviews, I see the players he has on trial. He see’s our problems.

He’ll get it right. Maybe not this season but imo, if we hold our nerve, he’ll prove to be a quality manager

Tend to agree. He's also inexperienced as a manager, and I'm hoping he'll become more flexible as required. Doesnt mean abandoning his philosophy, but perhaps becoming a bit more astute tactically.

That will come, especially if he get time with a core set of players.

At 3-1 though, I was getting very frustrated. :)

6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm relaxed Dave lad and agree with you, unfortunately these players need a massive kick up the arse, they are playing for the biggest team in the division.... most aren't up to it.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I'm relaxed Dave lad and agree with you, unfortunately these players need a massive kick up the arse, they are playing for the biggest team in the division.... most aren't up to it.

I reckon the gaffer gets emotional at times and perhaps says things on the spur of the moment that don't help.

A more experienced man might be able to massage characters better, but he's still learning too- I don't have a problem with it, so long as he learns too.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I reckon the gaffer gets emotional at times and perhaps says things on the spur of the moment that don't help.

A more experienced man might be able to massage characters better, but he's still learning too- I don't have a problem with it, so long as he learns too.

It’ll happen mate. He obviously knows what he’s doing, you can tell that with his interviews in that he knows the game.

We aren’t getting a finished article at this level. We were getting failed, long in the tooth or promising, niaeve up and coming. 

id rather this mon than people like Gary Bowyer or 1 or 2 others mentioned

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Is it the end of the season when we can start to pay money for players again?

That's when I'll really be judging what his recruitment is like.

I still say its not recruitment that's the key, its how you use your players.  The main gripes against the likes of Coyle, Lennon, Parky, Megson and Dougie weren't about whether they could spot a player, it was what they did with the squad at their disposal.  Big Sam signed some real duds, but got a tune out of his squad, whether here or elsewhere generally speaking.  I just want us to have a good manager, more than a good scout.

It seems Brand Evatt is still alive, after the in-game frustration from the last couple of games, he still has our support, most of us get it's a long term plan, but we have to get out of this shite division this year 😅

He's shown some signs that he's got an idea. It didn't take him long to recognise that neither Gordon nor Mascoll were up to it and move them out of the team, even if it meant having to play a right full-back in their place. He fairly quickly sussed that Comley and White were weak links too. 

Some might question his decision to first of all give Thomasson a go and then persist with him, and I can understand that, but I think all in all it's probably a good thing he's willing to put his faith in a young player and give him a run of games if he thinks he's worth it.

The downsides for me are that he overdid it with expectations in the build up to the season, and even in his post match interviews at times, and although I don't have a problem with his 3-5-2 system I'd have preferred him to have been a bit more practical at times and gone for something more simple when circumstances dictate. He seems tactically a bit naive/overly idealistic sometimes, but I think that'll probably improve with experience.

I think he'll brong that right sort of characters in in January, and I think he's said he's looking for a chief scout snd a first team coach to join his set-up. Hopefully we get those appointments right because they could do us the world of good.

Let him stay til the end of his contract and then review it, bit like Hill.

Its no good hiring and firing managers all of the time.

For a start, he needs two new keepers, but I am sure he will know that. 
A bit of quality in the squad by next season and we will be where we should be.

As has been said earlier, we'll never know which of this squad are solely Evatt's picks and which were Phoenix's, maybe it doesn't matter much now, what does is that he gets to sort out the coaching / scouting structure and to move out / bring in what he reckons he needs to make us consistently competitive enough to haul ourselves up the league.

I'm getting a sense that there's becoming a bit less of the stubborn idealist about him, he's fed up with our inability to impose ourselves against more robust teams and wants to do something about it. However much he is a disciple of particular styles of play, he no doubt hates not winning and knows it's a results business in the end.

Nobody will remember all the nice goals we've crafted if they don't lead to enough points in the final reckoning

59 minutes ago, Horwich said:

We have been on a downward spiral for years.

We nearly went bust

We are in a transfer embargo 

We need some stability

He will get it right

First 4 lines, nobody can disagree with.  That last line needs a bit of clarifying based on current evidence.

I could say "he'll never get it right" and justifiably people would ask what that's based on.

6 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

First 4 lines, nobody can disagree with.  That last line needs a bit of clarifying based on current evidence.

I could say "he'll never get it right" and justifiably people would ask what that's based on.

It essentially comes down to whether you choose to see the positives. Yes for every point I make below there’s a counter argument and a negative outlook. I suppose it depends on your character and whether you accept that unfortunately this is going to take time;

- He got it right at Barrow

- In a similar fashion to how it’s playing out here currently 

- Despite calls for changes in formation he has changed this 3/4 times now, albeit most of those during games.

- He’s rewarded players and shown loyalty to those he trusts

- And not just to those who he (or Phoenix) brought in.

- He knows where the gaps and inefficiencies are in the squad 

- Hence trialling players currently for midfield and LWB and I trust keeper and front men to come too in the future 

- The 11 players who go out there on match day are playing for him, they show character

Even BSA and Rioch didn’t get it right all the time and they certainly didn’t start off brilliantly, it took a while for them to stamp their authority on the club, something I believe IE is doing, albeit slower than we’d all (including him) would like.

Only KH has faced the same challenge in having to to completely start again, press the reset button, buy in a new squad, change the philosophy of what we are about. 

Choose to see and believe in the positive, as @Horwich said “He will get it right”