Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

11 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I've been suspicious of 3 at the back since Lennon tried it.

It's fine, if you have the right players ... we haven't. 

But Evatt, stubborn, slow of the uptake, arrogant, has persisted despite it being clear that it's failing us. To abandon it now would be quite an admission. He'd be accepting that his decision & persistence has caused the club promotion. Has lost us 15-20 points. Has left players as failures who may have otherwise been OK.

These are HIS fault.

I agree but we also can't keep changing manager.

If there is tangible evidence of improvement in the second half of the season I'll be happy.

I'll accept mid table now providing we go into next season with a system that works for the players we have.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

Hugh, you are completely and utterly wrong. im actually embarrassed for u, I don’t care if u been supporting us since 1975, you are talking absolute Shyte!    I cannot believe that you fee

18 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

But Evatt, stubborn, slow of the uptake, arrogant, has persisted despite it being clear that it's failing us. To abandon it now would be quite an admission. He'd be accepting that his decision & persistence has caused the club promotion. Has lost us 15-20 points. Has left players as failures who may have otherwise been OK.

These are HIS fault.

That feels quite harsh, but is in fact the case unfortunately

I do get the sense this season may end up somewhere, valiant failure? or amazing run and promotion when he will be forgiven and hopefully he developed along the way.

More likely peter out into nothing and 'we go again' next year!!

Phoenix might of done most of the recruiting but evatt waxed lyrical about everyone one . 

Gordon and greenidge were the fastest things on two legs 

Comely best passing stats In the league 

White can’t remember what bullshit he came out with but had him at Barrow so he new what he was about 

crelin England under 19 keeper going to the top 

Taft was going to be the key to playing out of the back 

And it went on with everyone of them . 
I would say probably not one player  has improved from last season form at there previous club . if they have they must of been truly awful last year 

Taft is a mystery. Maybe he's faced Evatt up & told him he's a pillock. Everything about him suggests he should be good for us.

Comley, similar, but he did at least get a bit if a go. In both cases they may find interested parties. Maybe, without playing & being away from home they've now not settled at all.

Crellin. I despair. We were linked at that time with a loanee from Chelsea, Jamal Blackman. Linked to the point of his Wiki being changed & him being called a Bolton player for 2 weeks. THAT would have been a proper loanee.

The lad never looked the part, how they made the decision is beyond me. How they didn't rapidly see what the fans did & how it took so long to change was both ridiculous and costly. That is Evatt's fault. How our reserve keeper was a 38 yr old coach who hadn't kept match fit. How he decided no sub keeper was required when we can name 7 subs.

But I agree, we can't become one of those clubs which constantly sacks its manager, but nor can be a club who's manager is so unfit for purpose. He has got the promise to be a decent coach, with the right players. He needs direction & help with the actual managing.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

I wouldn’t sack him he does need the windows and would give him the summer window as well . Just disappointed with him I am not expecting promotion now .
But  if he fucks the second half of the season up and there is a chance of us dropping out the league which is a possibility he will have to be binned 

I am in agreement with most on here give him time but just feel he as a stubbornness about him because I cannot se why Taft wasnt given a chance something as happened behind the scenes. 

I am starting to worry that we are going to end up in another relegation battle 1 point from the last 18 is extremely poor just hope he turns it around and gets rid of this bloody 3-5-2 system !!!

1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

I am in agreement with most on here give him time but just feel he as a stubbornness about him because I cannot se why Taft wasnt given a chance something as happened behind the scenes. 

I am starting to worry that we are going to end up in another relegation battle 1 point from the last 18 is extremely poor just hope he turns it around and gets rid of this bloody 3-5-2 system !!!

4 points from last 6 games.

8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

These are HIS fault.

Got to agree with that, I've previously said it was wrong from the first the first game under IE, but as you say as Bolton fans we've seen how vulnerable and exposed it makes teams if they aren't a team full of confident, flexible players who are generally better than their opponents.

Yes any credit for changing the system as late as January has to be tempered by the realisation of how many points he has cost us, both the formation and the Crellin situation.

8 hours ago, Farrelli said:

I agree but we also can't keep changing manager.

If there is tangible evidence of improvement in the second half of the season I'll be happy.

I'll accept mid table now providing we go into next season with a system that works for the players we have.

Me too.  I said a couple of months ago I dont care where we finish this season (as long as there's no relegation battle) if we can have a couple of months near the end of the season where we know we have a plan, that suits the players he's signed.

I see hugemunter is still a beacon of hope and optimism.

Our miserable cunts are better at it than any other clubs, I am sure of it. We'd be top of that league.

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's taken too long but good news. All the main players in our team will reap the benefits of this change plus 2/3 additions in key positions(GK/LB/DM). We'll still need some luck with injuries but I'm confident results will pick up, especially at home.

I wonder how many Saints fans were calling for Ralph Hasenhuttl's head when they lost 9-0 to Leicester?

Bet their forum was littered with people saying ge was stubborn/clueless/out of his depth.

Edited by kent_white

Most fans on here aren't calling for the manager's head or saying he's out of his depth.  They are asking him to correct some of his mistakes, by playing to the strengths of the team, improving the standard of his signings and using the better players in his squad, in their natural positions where possible.  And when something's obviously not working, to be a bit more flexible, a bit quicker than he has so far.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Most fans on here aren't calling for the manager's head or saying he's out of his depth.  They are asking him to correct some of his mistakes, by playing to the strengths of the team, improving the standard of his signings and using the better players in his squad, in their natural positions where possible.  And when something's obviously not working, to be a bit more flexible, a bit quicker than he has so far.

You know with properly thought out posts like this I may start to change my opinion of Evatt.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But the fact that ‘fans’ can see what is obviously wrong and he sticks with the failings far too long (goalkeeper is best example) gives cause for concern. All Bolton fans want him to do well but I would give him until the end of the season to prove he can turn things round - that doesn’t mean promotion because that already looks unlikely but to jell a team together playing tactics that get results 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This possible conversion to 4 at the back.

Slight odd timing giving the supposed approach for John and Lee, which should give him more players to suit the current system. 

Still, should improve the balance irrespective of formation.

I think those two will fit well with four at the back plus two proper centre mids (Lee and Tutte).  You can still get the full backs attacking in that system.

Leicester play 4-2-3-1 and they get their full backs constantly supporting the attack but still have the security of the two lads in midfield for cover.

And before anyone says it I know we are not Leicester, but it's a good system.

3 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I think those two will fit well with four at the back plus two proper centre mids (Lee and Tutte).  You can still get the full backs attacking in that system.

Leicester play 4-2-3-1 and they get their full backs constantly supporting the attack but still have the security of the two lads in midfield for cover.

And before anyone says it I know we are not Leicester, but it's a good system.

See I think with that system you don't need out and out wingers, Thomason for example could easily fill the left midfield slot if he had an overlapping full back bombing on.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

See I think with that system you don't need out and out wingers, Thomason for example could easily fill the left midfield slot if he had an overlapping full back bombing on.

Indeed. Thomasson could be our Beckham, not quick, but able to whip in super crosses for Doyle to get on the end of.

3 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

No you don't have to always but it is an option.

Thomason would be in my three (left side), where he can use his obvious passing quality rather than any defensive duties. Kioso the same on the right of the three and Sarcevic in the middle.  Doyle would get numerous chances every game with those three behind and he wouldn't have to keep going deep to look for it.

53 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

No you don't have to always but it is an option.

Thomason would be in my three (left side), where he can use his obvious passing quality rather than any defensive duties. Kioso the same on the right of the three and Sarcevic in the middle.  Doyle would get numerous chances every game with those three behind and he wouldn't have to keep going deep to look for it.

See I would prefer Kioso as the RB, just bombing on when play dictates, however we need to start winning games to get that confidence.

But with two defensive midfielders to cover, and a decent pair of centre Half's it's doable?

I think the fly in the ointment in all this is can Evatt use Santos as an orthodox centre half for more than 20/30 mins??

16 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

See I would prefer Kioso as the RB, just bombing on when play dictates, however we need to start winning games to get that confidence.

But with two defensive midfielders to cover, and a decent pair of centre Half's it's doable?

I think the fly in the ointment in all this is can Evatt use Santos as an orthodox centre half for more than 20/30 mins??

Yes Kioso could be used at RB except his defensive ability is suspect. I would rather Jones was RB.

I think Santos would be ok in a CB pairing. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don’t disagree with the essence of your post, in that IE has to be accountable for results and he needs to address some of the failings so far. However taking a statement at a time I will challenge you on some of them;

correct some of his mistakes by playing to the strengths of the team and  using the better players in his squad, in their natural positions where possible

Now I’m sorry despite IE faults and mistakes this season I’d still trust his and his coaching teams opinion and understanding of his players above fans on twatter and wandersways . Despite what some social media loons think, these are professional coaches working with the players everyday. They will know so much more about the players, their qualities, their personal circumstances, how they’ve trained, what mental/ physical state they are in, how they’ve performed in certain drills,  how they’re suited tactical formations  etc etc and so much more. If it had been up to fan opinion Santos would have been fired off after 2 games. 

- improving the standard of his signings

Yes absolutely and he is fully on with this 

And when something's obviously not working, to be a bit more flexible, a bit quicker than he has so far.

I’m partly in agreement with this in that he seemingly sticks with players/tactics to the detriment of the end result, the case of Crellin is a good one and this needs to be addressed. But this can be flipped to a positive, he trusts his players, he’s loyal, he’s strong minded (some say arrogant) in his beliefs and non-negotiables which the players have bought into - there’s positive signs there.

Yes he’s admittedly got some things wrong, yes we are not where we should or want to be, but we have to use qualities as fans we are not very good at; trust, belief and patience.